Two bugs eating my roots? Need help figuring out what they are

• Thread starter mkweed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mkweed

mkweed

Hello,
First time growing and indoors and the 2 plants have been growing strong and healthy.
This morning i watered them and saw nothing of concern, Towards their bed time checked them out and noticed a few bugs crawling around and found a ton more in one of my root riots (i think some called them rapid rooters). I have the little plastic soil holders for seedlings i have them in.
I took the plants out and killed as and removed as many as bugs as I could. Did it for about an hour, and have been checking on them.
Mind you this is after their bed time but they're in the seedling stage still and I figured killing these bugs was more important right now.
After cleaning the one plant that was infested, I cleaned the other, which had essentially one or two, probably colony seeker or something.
After cleaning them as much as I did, I removed the table in the grow room, put the plants in separate seedling plastic bed things, then I put a new table and I kept them away on small little boxes. I also put down double sided tape but i don't know if that'll do anything.

I also noticed there might be two separate types of bugs but I have no clue.

TLDR: I have bug infestation, help! need to know which bug and what to do.
pics:

Two bugs eating my roots need help figuring out what they are 2
Two bugs eating my roots need help figuring out what they are
Two bugs eating my roots need help figuring out what they are 3

Two bugs eating my roots need help figuring out what they are 4
Seraphine

Seraphine

The first picture, I think, is a mole cricket, the second picture appears to be an ant, the third picture might be a root aphid. Need better pictures. where did you get this soil? Is it from your yard??

Last edited:
Seraphine

Seraphine

I’m assuming you want to go organic since cannabis is a “food” crop. Beauveria bassiana found in bontanigard 22wp will kill both mole crickets and root aphids. Botanigard 22wp has the highest concentration of spores which is why it is recommended for root aphids. But you’ll want to alternate insecticides. Another good soil insecticide is Azadirachtin found in azamax. Alternate the two. Diatomaceous earth will take care of the ants. You prob have the ants because the are attracted to the honeydew provided by the root aphids.

Last edited:
Seraphine

Seraphine

Certain species of ants have a mutualistic relationship with certain species of root aphids. The root aphids rely on the ants to move their eggs to the roots of plants and the ants collect honey dew produced by the root aphids. One good example is the cornfield ant and the corn root aphid. Which could be what you have but the ant is hard to identify.

mkweed

mkweed

Certain species of ants have a mutualistic relationship with certain species of root aphids. The root aphids rely on the ants to move their eggs to the roots of plants and the ants collect honey dew produced by the root aphids. One good example is the cornfield ant and the corn root aphid. Which could be what you have but the ant is hard to identify.
Thanks, i was able to kill the ants physically and clean the area of them I haven't seen them since. I hope i didn't stress the plant out too much. I appreciate the advice.

Seraphine

Seraphine

keep watch for signs of root stress such as wilting, stunted growth, leaf cupping, or anything else abnormal.

mkweed

mkweed

keep watch for signs of root stress such as wilting, stunted growth, leaf cupping, or anything else abnormal.
They have been looking a little sick the past few days, Had to prop up one of the plants with some tooth picks. On other forums, users said I should have transplanted the plant already. Do you perhaps have an opinion on this?

Brownroots
Leavecolor
Seraphine

Seraphine

if you have root aphids, you'll need an insecticide that will kill root aphids. if not, they are still there.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

As long as there not autoflowers i would trans plant, then as soon as top soil drys i would de earth the plants, leave 72 hours flush out and check ph, im not shure about root aphids never had em, but if they have an exoskeleton and roam at night this should kill them off pronto, or at very least it will kill all ants! Or you can use something, im not shure what i could call my hydro guy for you and find out what he sells for this problem, de earth killed off a bad case of thrips i had when plants were small, here is a pic at close to 50 days. No more thrips, de earth is my go to organic, extremely effective cheap safe pest killer, like i said, i would mix some de and water and flush out plants, mix with water , give plants, leave for 36 hours then flush, this is what i would do first, if this does not help i would call my guy and see what he recommend.

20191210 075715
mkweed

mkweed

As long as there not autoflowers i would trans plant, then as soon as top soil drys i would de earth the plants, leave 72 hours flush out and check ph, im not shure about root aphids never had em, but if they have an exoskeleton and roam at night this should kill them off pronto, or at very least it will kill all ants! Or you can use something, im not shure what i could call my hydro guy for you and find out what he sells for this problem, de earth killed off a bad case of thrips i had when plants were small, here is a pic at close to 50 days. No more thrips, de earth is my go to organic, extremely effective cheap safe pest killer, like i said, i would mix some de and water and flush out plants, mix with water , give plants, leave for 36 hours then flush, this is what i would do first, if this does not help i would call my guy and see what he recommend.
I believe the pests have been genocided lol
Appreciate the help though!

Top Bottom