Two plants in one container?

• Thread starter TurboTHC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TurboTHC

TurboTHC

I am working with 1m x 4m floor space so i was thinking if i could use 90l, 70cm x 45cm x 31cm concrete mixing bucket and use that for two plants. I could put 8 of them on the space so i could have 16 plants. Main questions is about the pros and cons about growing two plants in one?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I've done it to use up clones from time to time but it depends how big the strain gets, and how big the pot is

If you're thinking that's a way to double your yield that's not been my experience

Ina

Ina

There is no problem except if you need to threat them differently or separate sick plants if something appears.You can start them separated in small containers at first (so you can manage them if something happens at least in the beginning) and then plant them in the big pot.......Or you want to start them directly in the biggest pot?This also can be done......I guess it will be more comfortable if they are same or similar strain with equal needs......Anyway 90l is a lot of soil,2 should feel fine.You can shape them appropriate so they dont shade each other.

TurboTHC

TurboTHC

I am just planning out my New grow setup so just thinking opinions etc. With round buckets they some so high up that it takes away from plant height. My grow room is 1.5/1.7m tall. 1.5m is the heigt before roof gets slanted and 1.7 is the height on middle point. And also i am planning on doing dwc so not in soil

Nugg

Nugg

Guess I have to ask why?? For clones straight to bud sure,to grow out a plant..I'd say no,waist of seed or clone...one plant grows pretty large in 30 days...I run dwc.. 4 plants 4×5..any more would be senseless imo..I can coI like to grow larger plants I guess..4 plants can cover a 6×6 area..

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Any time that I grew 2 plants in one container, both turned out considerably smaller than those grown by themselves. I think the shading from each plant will slow them both, and I think that roots don't like to co-mingle with others and might somehow inhibit the growth of other's roots. I think it could be done with the right strains as most that I tried were pretty tall/big growing strains. Smaller plants or autos might work better.

MHOGSMI

MHOGSMI

Had an extra clone, didn't want to pitch it. 5 day veg to get used to the bucket for both, then put into flower. Currently doing fine with another clone on the other side. Tied down away from each other. 5gallon bubbler. Also have the same Clone topped by itself.

20200327 144411
TurboTHC

TurboTHC

Okay so what i had in my mind was to have two separate net cups etc. Not both in one. Because the container would be 70cm wide, so almost same as two buckets nexto eachother

MHOGSMI

MHOGSMI

Okay so what i had in my mind was to have two separate net cups etc. Not both in one. Because the container would be 70cm wide, so almost same as two buckets nexto eachother

I'm not quite sure what to tell ya. I don't see it being a problem. Strains? Different or the same? Training would for sure be required. Keeping them away from eachother. But could be done. Really need to be on point with your rez. Needs to be perfect. Screwing one bucket/plant is bummer. Time and effort into losing two at the same time would suck too. Experiment... that's what my two clones in the same bucket is. Turns out and produces, cool. If not, my curiosity has been fed...

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

you probably want 2 plants in the same pot of the same genetics. if different strains, then you might have one dominate the other (but you could also train 'em into shape). or one which is heavier feeder than the other. or one which matures earlier than other, which isn't really a problem.

TurboTHC

TurboTHC

I would be growing same strains but i guess i will have to go with traditional methods so i learn to grow with dwc before trying something New and different. I would just have to find some low and wide square buckets to fit with my roof height

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

roof height and grow area's canopy.

if you got the space, then you can experiment - 2 plants of same genetics in one single pot, and others plants just in their individual pots. i lean towards the result that 2 plants in a single pot would produce about the same amount of yield as a single plant, given the same pot size and same vegetative phase duration.

so, you would want to pot the 2 plants in that single larger pot, than the others planted in its single pot - maybe... larger pot would mean longer time for the roots to fill it, larger pot means larger plants, at trade-off of longer vegetative growth phase so that these plants fills out the larger pot.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
If it's your first attempt at dwc, I'd suggest you only plant 1 per bucket. There will be a multitude of problems that will arise that are different than growing in soil. It be hard to diagnose much with 2 plants.

Im just on my first attempt myself 4 weeks left or there abouts and I found it took time to learn my instruments also more to consider with environment.

Just my 2 pennies

Once dialed in I'm very happy with dwc next grow can only get better good luck

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
DWC would be a lot different than growing 2 plants in a medium like Promix or Fox Farms. I agree that, being your first grow, that you learn the basics before introducing more possible variables. Give it hell this grow and once you have some experience, you can try the 2 in 1 at a later grow. I think the DWC with one plant per container will present enough of a challenge.

Electrobud

Electrobud

Here’s another good reason to have only one plant per container. I started out with two, and early on one of them ended up getting tossed, my fault...but all well that ends well because this 18gal tote would have been overwhelmed. This one beast has a root ball that takes up half of the tube all by itself! Also, having both plants (same strain) would have me doing double duty on the watering.
At this point this one plant is drinking 2 gallons of water every 3 days.

43206A06 55EB 436E 9AA1 E23F1D8F28A9
8E175FA1 113D 4D29 9AD4 95E72A2D5257
5B856E82 F412 4488 A58E 3EF064BFE7E5
Top Bottom