Two strains, one tent - "Whiskey Zulu" autos and "Blueberry Muffin" clones

• Thread starter RicinBeans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RicinBeans

RicinBeans

I started my second indoor grow a few months ago, and created a diary here for it that I never updated for a couple of reasons. One of them is that my planning all went out the window in the coming days/weeks due to several factors. As such, the thread became moot, and my configurations spent several weeks shifting around. The current thread/diary is dedicated to one tent in my configuration, while chaos ensues in my other main tent, and while my first cloning attempts gets going in a small cloning tent I have.

Equipment for this grow will be listed on the bottom of this OP.

The left half of my Tent-B setup is the result of a tray full of Blueberry Muffin (Humboldt Seed Company) clones that my friend asked me to hold onto. Here is a pic of the tray when it was dropped off on 3/26:

Two strains one tent   whiskey zulu autos and blueberry muffin clones

I transplanted a number of those clones in the coming weeks, but the ones outside of this tent have been plagued with issues, and I'm scrapping them either today or tomorrow. There are 4 remaining, all on the left side of Tent-B, and those are what this diary will follow.

The right half of Tent-B are Whiskey Zulu (Twenty20 Mendocino) autos. My friend gave me some seeds, as I was interested in trying autos out, both for the experience/comparison and because I wanted to get a quick harvest in while cultivating some longer-term plants. The harvest time listed by Mendocino is 60-75 days. I placed the seeds into a jar of water for sprouting on 4/6, they went into the dirt on 4/8, and all four sprouts had appeared by the morning of 4/11. They're currently square in the center of the harvest window, and while the trichomes look mostly white on them, I'm giving them a little longer until I harvest them. I'm hoping to see the first sign of yellow trichomes before cutting them down, but if I don't see anything by day-75, I may just harvest at that point.

Here is a video I made, consisting of daily pics of Tent-B, that displays 4 weeks of growth in that tent. It begins on the evening of 4/11. There are maybe 2 days of pics absent, but otherwise, it's a pretty uninterrupted time lapse going on here.

I was shocked by how quickly the WZ began to flower - maybe 3 weeks or so. I was hoping to top them before that began, but I was caught completely off guard by the schedule. As such, these each are going to just have one main cola. On the bright side though, they are looking very hefty. Here is a more recent pic, taken on 4/12:

Two strains one tent   whiskey zulu autos and blueberry muffin clones 2

As you can see, one of them experienced wind burn. I wasn't aware of the phenomenon until it started happening. That plant was in the rear corner most of the time, right where the fan is situated, and the leaves gradually began to sort of curl unto themselves. As a result, I decided to have the fan deflect of the tent wall going forward, and I moved that plant from the corner. Also as a result though, where they were all growing almost perfectly uniformly up to that point, that wind-burned plant, presumably out of a sense of self-preservation, experienced a height-wise growth spurt. It also seemed to be producing far less flower that the others though, at least for a few weeks. It seems to have more or less caught up though, and have developed a strong main cola of its own. It's hard to say if it will yield slightly less overall, or if the additional height growth will balance things out.

I don't have a more current pic of the entirety of Tent-B that shows the BBM progress, but they're massive. The only reason I haven't begun to flower them is that I want to expose these WZ to as much of a light cycle as I can until I take them down. The moment they come down though, that tent will go straight into a 12/12 so as to begin flowering the BBM.

As opposed to my first grow, which had a soil compound that my friend mixed up for me, and that ultimately became somewhat problematic, I'm using straight FoxFarms Ocean Forest soil for this grow. The upside to this is that the soil is drying out regularly, and I'm able to water daily, which means that I'm also able to administer supplements on a regular basis. For both the BBM and WZ, I've been feeding them Recharge once every few weeks, and giving them either Big Grow or Big Bloom/Tiger Bloom by FoxFarms as the stage of growth calls for the rest of the time. I typically would feed them nutrients 3-5 days consecutively, and then give them water for 1-2 days. As of 6/3, the WZ have gotten nothing but water, so as to flush them leading up to harvest.

I will post a video of the entire Tent-B tomorrow, so as to give an idea of where everything is at this point leading up to the WZ harvest.

EQUIPMENT FOR THIS GROW:

I'm using a 4 x 2 x 5 Vivosun grow tent, same as with my first grow (though not the same individual tent - that is my "Tent-A"). It's the original, black w/ green trim variety, not the gray/black ones that cost slightly more.

I've got a pair of clip-on oscillating fans at opposing corners of the tent, one higher up and the other just above the soil surface. These are for circulation.

Air rotation is being done passively at the moment, with a 6" Vivosun duct fan (and Vivosun fan speed controller) on the top of the tent pulling air out at an interval, and a 6" vent flange with a vent cover over it at the bottom of the tent, acting as the passive intake. The interval has changed over the last few months. Very low humidity was a problem in here when the weather was cooler and the heat was coming on, so I had to find an interval that only kicked in when the temp from the lights got so high that I needed to cool it down. The idea was to let as much humidity build as possible. It's less of a factor lately though, so I've shortened the interval to keep the tent a bit cooler.

I'm using Opulent Systems 3-gallon cloth pots for all of the plants in Tent-B. I purchased an awl early on in the grow, and used it to poke numerous holes on the bottom and on the sides of all the pots, so as to promote air flow and drainage.

Last but most certainly not least, I'm running a pair of Viparspectra XS1500 grow lights in the tent. I balanced it against several other brands/models based on several independent comparisons, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. They run pretty hot but they're absolute monsters. It's difficult to even looks straight at the tent from ten feet away with nothing in it, and with the lights at full power, as even the reflection at that distance is incredibly bright.

Heywood

Heywood

The left half of my Tent-B setup is the result of a tray full of Blueberry Muffin (Humboldt Seed Company) clones that my friend asked me to hold onto. Here is a pic of the tray when it was dropped off on 3/26:

Nice.

I just did an indoor grow of 2 Blueberry Muffins from Humboldt clones (via Dark Heart nursery via my local dispensary)
Just chopped one 2 days ago. I am letting the other go until the end of the week.

They were really finicky about the LED light almost all through veg.
I put the grow diary here.

I'm tagging in to watch your thread.
Looking good, man!

RicinBeans

RicinBeans

Nice.

I just did an indoor grow of 2 Blueberry Muffins from Humboldt clones (via Dark Heart nursery via my local dispensary)
Just chopped one 2 days ago. I am letting the other go until the end of the week.

They were really finicky about the LED light almost all through veg.
I put the grow diary here.

I'm tagging in to watch your thread.
Looking good, man!

Thanks very much, and I look forward to hearing how it smokes! I've only ever heard about it, and never had the opportunity to sample any myself. I did catch a whiff of one of the clones in another tent when I accidentally started flowering it early though, and I was absolutely blown away by the blueberry scent. It's one of the reasons why I was so willing to change all my plans when my buddy dropped those clones by, and to shift my efforts towards more BBM. I'll be sure to follow your diary to get a sneak preview once you've finished drying/curing.

RicinBeans

RicinBeans

Pardon the delay, I've been sort of busy, both generally and in terms of the grow(s).

I harvested those Whiskey Zulus on 6/23. They only yielded about 1oz on average each once they were dried and put into jars for curing, which makes me wonder how much more productive it could have been if I had topped them before flowering began. At least I have my journal to fall back on though, should I ever grow these again, and can use it to top during the tiny veg window this strain has. Pictured below is the hanging harvest, as well as a shot of one of the two largest colas as I was trimming.

2022 06 23 033650

2022 06 23 152529

2022 06 30 155959

What's unfortunate is what happened to the BBM on the left side of Tent-B - they seem to have maxed out in size well before I was ready to harvest the WZ. As a result, since I didn't want to take 6 hours of light away from the WZ while they were flowering, the BBM just sort of fell apart. They lost most of their leaves by the time I began flowering (during the last week or so of WZ flowering), but I decided to push forward anyway and see what happens. So far, they're flowering and the flowers are very pretty, but I have to wonder if they wouldn't be producing more if the plants weren't missing like 80-90% of their leaves. Going by the characteristics of the strain I've read online, the end of the harvest window lands exactly two weeks from today, so there is still some time for them to fill up. Fingers crossed. Below is a video of those remaining BBM in T-B.

But as far as I'm concerned, Tent-A is where the action is right now! 6/4 was the day I clipped my first ever batch of clones, from the BBM in T-B - 28 clippings in total. Here they are on that day, when they went into my little cloning tent:

2022 06 04 153253

One of them died within a day or so, but the rest, even the runtiest, weakest looking of them, survived beyond that. By 6/10, I had seen signs of rooting in many of them, and all of them were looking improved vs when I placed them in the propagation tray.

2022 06 10 225335

On the following day (6/11), I placed them all into these coth cups that I acquired for this purpose.

2022 06 11 135028

And that's where I think it's worth stopping to point something out that someone might actually find helpful, and it's about those cloth cups. They might be the right choice, depending on your plans in a given situation. The fact that many if not most roots poke right through them is an asset if you want to verify the plants successfully rooting in their containers ASAP. If you want to let them live in their starter containers (after the cubes) for a little while though, a small plant container or Solo cup might be better. I eventually transferred several of these to Solo cups, but I didn't want to push my luck, as it was delicate work with all of the soil still being loose, and it seemed easy to botch. The picture below is from 6/15, 5 days after the cubes were inserted into the cloth cups.

2022 06 16 105738

There were roots that were far, far longer on other cups. I don't know why but that's the only photo I can seem to find from that day. During the following two days, on 6/16-6/17, I took ten of the strongest looking of the batch, placed them in 1-gallon cloth pots and moved them into Tent-A for my first attempt at/experiment with a SOG grow.

*note - I dropped those cloth cups directly into the 1-gallon pots without removing or ripping them in any way. I was worried, as I did notice a couple of roots in the cloth cups that wound around the inside, rather than poking out, but once they got into their 1-gallon pots, it didn't look like growth was inhibited in any way at all - everything started growing rapidly, and after the first week or two, uniformly as well.

When looking into how others do SOG, however, I found a lot of variation, and couldn't get a clear picture of the point at which it makes sense to top when you're planning out a short veg cycle. As such, you'll see in the video that I'll be posting below, when the plants arrangement changes on 7/05, that I decided to top 5 of them and leave the other 5 alone. I decided that I would flip to flowering 1 week later, on 7/12, roughly five weeks after the first roots showed when the cuttings were in cubes. It seems like a good starting point for the experiment, and I can see whether, at 5 weeks of veg from clone, it makes sense to top or not. From there, I'll check the results and try to figure out what the next grow(s) should look like going forward.

I'm also going to try to grow large plants again though, as I don't think the BBM in T-B right now qualify as good samples for comparison vs 1-gal containers. So as of a few days ago, a few more clones were transferred to 1-gals, and are waiting for the current T-B harvest to complete so that I can move them into 3-gal containers and place them in there.

**ISSUE** ok, it looks like the video I had of T-A is too large to attach. I'm going to see if I can make it smaller and post in below here. I'm reluctant to lose the quality, but I'm not sure what else there really is to do about it.

Last edited:
RicinBeans

RicinBeans

Ok, as much as it pains me to take the res down that much, it's the only way I can post the video. Here is Tent-A with my first clone batch, beginning on the day all ten of the clones I selected were moved to 1-gallon pots and placed in Tent-A, and ending on 7/24. I'm still getting my groove down when it comes to using the old GoPro my buddy gave me, arranging the pics and creating time lapses. As a result, it's not as consistent as I would like (and it didn't help that I missed a day here and there, where I didn't card swap), but it's a nice start, I think. Going forward, I'm sure these will be much tighter. I hope someone enjoys it though, because I think it's pretty neat haha.

To reiterate from the last post, 7/5 is the date on which I topped the left side of the tent. Probably an error, in hindsight, as the result is that the taller, untopped plants on the right side are blocking much of the camera's view of the left half. Like I said though, I should get better at this kind of thing going forward.

And I should also mention that, as planned, these were flipped to 12/12 on 7/12/22. As you can see, the process has already begun. I'm totally psyched for the results, and will post here when there is something new to add.

Last edited:
Top Bottom