UC with Camping Coolers.

• Thread starter Shafto
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shafto

I've been asked by a close family friend who recently got their MMC license to help them set up a hydroponic system. My friend is an old time grower who grew in dirt 20 years ago, and just needs a little info in the hydro area.

I've been running a personal 2 plant RDWC system under a 1000W in my closet for a while now. I recently switched over both plant containers, and the control res to old camping coolers I had lying around.

Now all I need to do is switch out a small ice pack with one in the freezer every 3 days to keep the temps good, the difference is amazing.

Now since my friend is just starting up, and doesn't have the money for an AC or sealed room at the moment, and summer coming up, I'm thinking it might be getting a little warm in there. Electric consumption is also a concern, so I figured that a cooler system would work well in his case too, to keep the water cool.

UC systems seem to be the best, if not only because of the simplicity of the plumbing compared to RDWD, so this is what I have decided to go with.

My only concern is how to seal the 2" pipes in the coolers. With buckets and uniseals it's easy, but with a cooler you want to seal on the inside wall, not the outside like a uniseal is made for.

Has anyone seen a build with coolers before? I'm looking into pricing on 2" bulkhead fittings, which would work, but I think they'll be much more expensive than uniseals. The other option is to use the uniseal the other way, on the inside of the cooler, since they say they work with both positive and negative pressure, this should be fine, no?

Any advice or links greatly appreciated, Thanks fellas.

Top Bottom