UCRoots - come on guys really?

• Thread starter sedate
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sedate

sedate

Anyone looking at the thread below can see I've been kicked in the balls as of late with a nasty spate of root-rot.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...g-helps-down-40-plants-in-3-months-wtf.61775/

As I've poked about grow boards looking for other folks with rot issues, one product that comes up often is UCRoots. Like it is really amazing or something.

Except it's dilute bleach water and says so to anyone reading the bottle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypochlorous_acid

So . . . . dilute bleach water? For $25 a pint. I can only imagine how much you'd use at bottle dose in a UC.

Good for Current Culture I suppose. Makes AN look like real value.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Ive heard of people using bleach to kill pathogens but im not sure on the mixture. Remember that most tap is already chlorinated so at a certain level it wont hinder the plant. sometimes we hit the point where any option is worth a shot!

sedate

sedate

Complaining about how much it costs?? You would have never lost any of your runs. Is it worth it hell fuck ya. I buy that shit in 5 gal buckets and harvest everytime

My point is not that it does not have utility, but in the head-scratching mark-up. And the fact you can make it yourself for pennies (well, tenths-of-pennies) on the dollar.

So, while you are buying it in 5-gallon buckets for $250, you could make it for under a single dollar and two minutes worth of math.

Get it Wavegem?

And seriously sterile systems get root rot all the time. Check out some old MPB threads . . . Maybe you've never lost a crop, but neither did I for 4 years straight.

Ive heard of people using bleach to kill pathogens but im not sure on the mixture. Remember that most tap is already chlorinated so at a certain level it wont hinder the plant. sometimes we hit the point where any option is worth a shot!

Yea I get that.

I'm not saying raising a sanitizing agent in a solution is not or cannot be useful - I'm saying that UCRoots is rip-off dilute bleach water.

Tap water might be at 1 or 2ppm chlorine, (here it says the EPA-max regulation is 4ppm, () while a product like UCRoots at bottle dose might bring that up to - I dunno - say 30 or 40. Still far below a level that would be abrasive to root tissue - but plenty to be more hostile to microbial life than tap water might be.

Wavegem

Wavegem

Bro uc roots is expensive because your not growing tomatoes they have excellent customer service. They also stabilized hydrocholrous acid or whatever so it stays in your system longer. If you make your own for cheaper you run the risk of it not being a guarantee. Who cares about 250 dollars. If you are their customer they will walk you through everything they work hard so we just read labels and feed

I hear you complaining but you lost thousands because of 250 dollar uc roots plain and simple

Last edited:
sedate

sedate

Bro uc roots is expensive because your not growing tomatoes they have excellent customer service. They also stabilized hydrocholrous acid or whatever so it stays in your system longer. If you make your own for cheaper you run the risk of it not being a guarantee. Who cares about 250 dollars. If you are their customer they will walk you through everything they work hard so we just read labels and feed

I hear you complaining but you lost thousands because of 250 dollar uc roots plain and simple

I'm having a variety of reactions to this post.

First off - I didn't lose thousands because of UCRoots. Again - sterile systems are just as prone to problems and telling me otherwise isn't going to change that. Had I been running mineral nutes from day 1 (I wasn't), and had wanted a dead rez (I didn't) then maybe UCRoots would've been a good choice. Maybe. Maybe not. Whose to say since it didn't happen?

Secondly, and more importantly here, I run semi-organic nutes and I run bennies. UCRoots is designed for use with the line of mineral-based nutes that Current Culture sells - not for systems running organic teas and Great White. So telling me not having UCRoots is the reason I lost my first crops in 4 years is - uhh - pretty absurd.

As far as Current Cultures customer service - I guess I'm not sure why you think some guy on a phone is going to have more experience than I (or you!) do. Seriously if those guys on the phone know as much as I do, I imagine they wouldn't be answering the phone for a living. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I think common sense tells me that I've scraped more weed off my scissors than any of those jokers with a phone-script have ever even seen. For real.

wavegem said:
they work hard so we just read labels and feed

This is a real - gem - of a statement.

Do you seriously think I want to be told what to do?

I need to understand the how and the why.

Wavegem

Wavegem

I don't have to defend cc. They have done more for this community than anybody here. They make more money then they could ever growing. I guarantee they know more about rdwc than anybody here. They are not scripted robots. All of their products are worth every penny. Why on earth would you put non chelated nutrients in hydro? Doesn't make any sense, bennies does not thrive in water they just die a little at a time.

deacon1503

deacon1503

I can see where sedate is coming from. It does appear to be a watered down chlorine but it does indeed work. However its like $80 for a gallon but it works. Regardless of its concentration per dollar figure.
Ive caught systems with rot, and along with a few other choice products, was able to save the crop but it wouldn't have been possible, or atleast much more difficult, without UC Roots, and strictly for its sterilization properties. It has worked as designed for me every time.
I recommended UC Roots for anyone running the sterile route for any sort of hydro system from ebb and flow to UC to MPBs.

sedate

sedate

I don't have to defend cc. They have done more for this community than anybody here. They make more money then they could ever growing. I guarantee they know more about rdwc than anybody here. They are not scripted robots. All of their products are worth every penny. Why on earth would you put non chelated nutrients in hydro? Doesn't make any sense, bennies does not thrive in water they just die a little at a time.

OMG. You are really not getting what I am trying to say and you are making a number of erroneous assumptions. You should read my posts as posted no more. I'm pretty judicious with my language.

I'm not attacking CC per se and I guess you must really like CC if you feel like you need to defend them when I point out they are selling pennies worth of bleach for hundreds of dollars. I mean I like Botanicare but when someone says "ClearEx is bullshit sugar water" I immediately quickly agree.

FWIW, I think CCH20 is are one of the more innovative hydro companies and they make a neat product (the flagship RDWC system really is impressive. If you look at my other thread, I COPIED CC's water-flow design in BOTH my now-defunct RDWC's) and I've heard good things about their nutrient line.

This one particular product just really annoys me because anyone can make it for pennies and in the middle of grow problems the last thing anyone needs is drop boku-cash on dilute bleach water.

And paying CC hundreds of dollars for something you can do yourself isn't about "respect" as you state in the other thread - it's just getting fucked out of your hard grown cash because the usual informational asymmetry between grower and hydro suppliers. I presume most people participate in forum life to expand their intellectual horizons and be exposed to new information.

So I posted about UCRoots - because it is a nonsense product designed to separate growers from their money. And honestly, I don't know of any other extreme-overpriced sterilizing type product like that. I mean a gallon of 30% h202 runs the same as a pint of that bleach-water for similar bottle dosages and that is still expensive compared to more industrial sources.

Maybe you don't like chemistry. Maybe you don't want to understand it and clearly you feel like Current Culture does all the understanding for you. Maybe you feel like you don't know how to grow without Current Culture or that deviating from what Current Culture tells you is bad. Not sure. What I am sure about is that you are well paying for this knowledge/nutrient line, and for what is in my view, extreme intellectual laziness.

@ 3:25 ;)

As far as absurd overpricing goes - I would compare this uber-priced-bleach water to a number of other products from other manufacturers - Botanicare's ClearEx comes to mind (A few g's of sucrose dissolved in water) as well as SNS217 ($3 worth of oils you can get at Whole Foods plus an emulsifier, probably polysorbate20).

I'm not ragging on Current Culture - I get they are a business and they want as much revenue from any source they can get. Me too. I'm just pointing out how easy this stuff is to make. I thought it worth a thread.

Apparently you need your marijuana supplies blessed by the High Priests of Temple CCH20.

I don't.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Have you resolved the root rot problem yet? And if not, and if you're considering using a sterilizing agent that's not UV, have you considered treating it like cyanobacteria and using a broad spectrum or gram negative antibiotic?

J

Jalisco Kid

I posted in your other thread but I guess someone thought I was rude and deleted it. But dude come on you know it was made for herb so it is worth it. Just like AN ferts are just for herb(plus the cool labels and girls with big tits). I am surprised someone like wavegem thinks its ok to get burned because of the crop we grow. But you gotta love capitalism,and the fact there is a sucker born every second.
If you had one of my septic tanks you could have caught it quicker and treated it thru a port hole. Go with greenhouse products let the others waste their money. I hope someday to be on top of the heap,rape, plunder and pillaging and mongering my wares to the downtrodden. Just got to find me an ugly women with a suzy creamcheese voice for my customer service,just to keep the whole illusion going.
You must have found something otherwise your girls would be smelling up the room. JK

Wavegem

Wavegem

What I am saying is support the company that put in all the ground work. Nobody here even mentioned hydrochlorous acid or whatever before they came out with uc roots not a single person. It's not quite the same as bleach I think. Plus I am upset I even posted that bag you should never known that. You never figured it out so you should use uc roots. Go ahead dump chlorine and bleach in your system

I am saying support this industry everybody needs to make money

Am I the only boss here that wants to support companies and share the wealth? Especially ones that make my life so easy

Last edited:
donmekka

donmekka

I see under currents as copies of others work, their idea of sucking in the biggest flaw in the system.

I have heard you mention before that they under size there pumps...Is this the biggest flaw? If not what would you say is?

Dizzy Weasel

Dizzy Weasel

Loves Eating Tacos
Supporter
Omfg...... Smh

Been using this before bobs brew which CC bought out to use there formula and corner market..... 200ml concentrate bleach to 1.5g water then use 1-2ml gal of that solution, I go 3ml when I have issues like anything see how they take it then use more if u need.... been using way before uc roots was ever around in my ebb and grow... Don't mean to step on CC's toes but maybe I shoulda bottled and sold it first

Last edited:
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Another similar product is Clear Rez by ezclone.
I found a DIY solution when seaching for more cost effective alternative.
HTH Super shock and swim is for pools and can be had at wally world etc.

Shock and Swim contains calcium hypochlorite
Stock solution is: 1 gram of shock and swim per 1 gallon water.
1oz per 5 gal EVERY DAY to every 3 days

Props to herbalizor for the original recipe. He shared on the mag in a cloning thread.
you think cloning is easy and doesn't take any effort at all, and you can't understand why anyone would have any problems. Congratulations, I envy you. This thread is not for you. Please move on.

I know exactly how you feel. Cloning can be one of the most aggravating parts of gardening. For so many people they have such an easy time with cloning. I have read stories over and over about how some people just take a pair of rusty scissors, make a cut, and just stick a cutting in some random medium. Then have roots in a few days. While I am so happy for them, it drives me crazy!

If you are like me and have researched just about every forum, forum thread, article, etc to learn the secret combination that could solve my cloning problem, you will notice some very interesting patterns.

One of those in particular is that there are many people who have been cloning successfully for years and years, and then they move to a new location and can't clone for the life of them.

I have heard many people attribute this to some "mystery of cloning", dumb luck, bad luck, etc. This has never sat well with me because in theory, if all elements are the same, the result should be the same. Which lead me to the belief that there must be a missing link in cloning that is not obvious, and is causing SOME people to fail miserably, and or just take a very long time to get clones to root.

Not by a discovery of my own, but some random thread I found recently, I believe (for some of us, this is not inclusive) that link may have been found. WATER

I know the idea of quality water is not new to cloning. Just about every manual, article, forum post, etc talks about it. Though there is a particular aspect that I have not seen discussed until recently. CHLORINE levels in the WATER. Or calcium hypochlorite/soduim hypochlorite.Interesting enough, this really isn't a new discovery. Cities, Agricultural Industries, and other businesses have been using CHLORINE for over 200 years as a safe way to sterilize water. So in fact, the very water that you have coming out of your faucet, may contain a low level of CHLORINE. At low levels it is considered safe and used on a very large scale. Even biologists and the agricultural industry believe that plants actually require chlorine (low levels) as a key element and helps them thrive.So, getting to the point finally, we all live in different places. Each one with different water sources. Some on city water (with varying water treatment techniques) and others with well water. I would safely bet that the mass majority of us are using city water and that city water contains chlorine. Personally, I have well water and not city water.So recently I experimented with addingcalcium hypochlorite(shock chlorine) to my well water for my clones. I also ran clones without any chlorine added. Everything else being the same. Guess what. I got roots in 6 days with the chlorinated clones.It was an ah ha! moment!So the thread that I read that lead me to this point was written by this person who tried a relatively new product on the market made by EZ-Clone called "Clear-Res". Clear-RES is used by adding 5ml (of clear-res) per gallon of water and re-added every 3 days in the same amount. This product is relatively new, but if you search around you will find that the people who use it have pure success. So anyway, this person checked out the ingredients of Clear-Res and discovered that it was simply Chlorine water in a bottle. 16oz of chlorine water for $20. Two and two together, an experiment was done to discover how much pool chlorine would be needed to reproduce the same strength found in Clear-Res. Using a non-ph buffered pool shock (or pure calcium-hypoclorite) that you can commonly find at most hardware stores and walmart, the formula was discovered.Here it is:
Basically, this pool shock comes in powered form.
1 gram of this powdered chlorine should be mixed into 1 gallon of water, to make what is almost an exact replacement for a bottle of Clear-Res.
Then, once you have this bottle of chlorine water, you would use 1 liquid oz per 5 gallons of water. Repeat every 3 days.

Dizzy Weasel

Dizzy Weasel

Loves Eating Tacos
Supporter
Clear rez is the same exact product as bobs brew or UC roots look at the label... From what I was told Bob sold his co. to UC... And that clear rez is a re label bottled by bobs which is now UC.... That is the word in cali anyways... I use UC roots thru most of my cycle myself as it seems to be "cleaner" as bleach or shock solution leaves a white buildup after continuous use... But bleach or shock solution seems help to stop root rot in its tracks when used in part of a regime or is cheap to sterilize as preventative..

Top Bottom