UK: £80 spot fines for cannabis

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

'Spot fines' planned for cannabis

People caught with cannabis twice could face an £80 on-the-spot fine, under government plans. Ministers will consult on the proposals which would also see people arrested if caught in possession for a third time.
Cannabis is to be made a Class B drug again from January 2009, five years after it was downgraded to Class C.

The independent drugs advisory council recommended it should remain Class C. Ministers say they must take account of potential long-term effects on users.
Announcing the Penalty Notice for Disorder proposals, which would apply to England and Wales, the government said cannabis posed a "real risk" to users' health and stronger strains were now dominating the market which could increase mental health problems.

Dangers posed
It said the new penalties were not aimed a "criminalising people unnecessarily" but would give police and the courts "a range of sanctions at their disposal so that the punishment is proportionate to the offence".
Tim Hollins, from the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), said police would take a harder line when "cannabis use is repeated or there are aggravating circumstances locally".

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said: "While cannabis has always been illegal, reclassifying it to a Class B drug reinforces our message to everyone that it is harmful and should not be taken."

"This is the next step towards toughening up our enforcement response to ensure that repeat offenders know that we are serious about tackling the danger that the drug poses to individuals."

The government says it is responding to calls from the Acpo for a stronger approach to possession of cannabis.
Possession of a class C drug is treated largely as a non-arrestable offence. Making it a Class B drug means the maximum prison sentence for possession rises from two years to five years.

It is five years since the decision was taken to downgrade cannabis, with the aim at the time of freeing up police resources to concentrate on tackling hard drugs like heroin and cocaine.

'Weak' link
Ministers say that since then concern has risen about the prevalence of stronger "skunk" varieties of cannabis which the government says now account for 80% of the cannabis seized on the streets.

The government accepted 20 of 21 recommendations from the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, which had said cannabis should remain a class C drug, arguing the risks were not as serious as those of class B substances, such as amphetamines and barbiturates.

It described cannabis as a "significant public health issue" and said the evidence suggested a "probable, but weak, causal link between psychotic illness, including schizophrenia, and cannabis use". But it said, in the population as a whole, it played only a "modest role" in the development of these conditions.

In its response to the ACMD report, the government said: "We do not reject the advisory council's advice on this specific issue lightly but it is the role of government to make decisions informed by all relevant factors and to take account of potential long-term impacts where the evidence is not conclusive at this time."

Lib Dem Home Affairs spokesman Chris Huhne has suggested that, if the government is to disregard the advice of the independent council, it should disband it in favour of an advisory council of "tabloid newspaper editors". The Conservatives have said the reclassification shows it was a mistake to downgrade it in the first place.

The ACMD is carrying out a review of the Class A drug ecstasy and has already met to consider whether it should be downgraded to Class B.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7667569.stm

Smoker

7rayos

So now, if you go to the street and light up a joint, a bobby will tell you "don't do that again" and go about with his patrolling. Then you light up a second one and the same bobby will say "that'll be 80 quid, sir". Third time is "you are under arrest, honey". In Spain you go to the street, light up and they tell you "300 euros, amigo", then light up again and they tell you "300 euros, amigo", and then light up again and say "300 euros, amigo", and they get 900€ with the same effort plus an unlimited number or further chances. No wonder spanish coppers wear raybans and gold rings and fancy automatic pistols, whereas british bobbies look like straight out of Toys'r'Us. Ok, plenty gadgets but, c'mon! We fuckin' potheads are financing mafias and terrorism here, please, can at least point at us with a real gun when caught smoking? :itwasntme It'll make so much difference in the performance for the 80 quid. It could be raised to 90 for a round of raybans, so arrested people can take a photo for kicks without disclosing the profound and mysterious personality of the improved copper.
I mean, it's all a film, ain't it?

H

hailstone

80 quid on the spot eh? Sounds like lots of easy money for the cops, or whoever it is that gets that £80.

G

Galactus

So now, if you go to the street and light up a joint, a bobby will tell you "don't do that again" and go about with his patrolling. Then you light up a second one and the same bobby will say "that'll be 80 quid, sir". Third time is "you are under arrest, honey". In Spain you go to the street, light up and they tell you "300 euros, amigo", then light up again and they tell you "300 euros, amigo", and then light up again and say "300 euros, amigo", and they get 900€ with the same effort plus an unlimited number or further chances. No wonder spanish coppers wear raybans and gold rings and fancy automatic pistols, whereas british bobbies look like straight out of Toys'r'Us. Ok, plenty gadgets but, c'mon! We fuckin' potheads are financing mafias and terrorism here, please, can at least point at us with a real gun when caught smoking? :itwasntme It'll make so much difference in the performance for the 80 quid. It could be raised to 90 for a round of raybans, so arrested people can take a photo for kicks without disclosing the profound and mysterious personality of the improved copper.
I mean, it's all a film, ain't it?

pmsl

G

B

BluntBrothersEAST

Annual Causes of Death in the United States
Tobacco 435,000.1

Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity 365,0001

Alcohol 85,000.1

Microbial Agents 75,000.1

Toxic Agents 55,000.1

Motor Vehicle Crashes 26,347.1

Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs 32,000.2

Suicide 30,622.3

Incidents Involving Firearms 29,000.1

Homicide 20,308.4

Sexual Behaviors 20,000.1

All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect 17,000.5

Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin 7,600.6

Marijuana 0.7

i guess 0.7 of us is going to die from marijuana
while smoking cigys and drinking are still legal they kill more people than anything else

M

moggggys

Annual Causes of Death in the United States

Marijuana 0.7

i guess 0.7 of us is going to die from marijuana
while smoking cigys and drinking are still legal they kill more people than anything else

are you sure thats accurate , its documented that it takes 40,000 times the normal dose an adult endures of thc to kill him , thats a hell of a joint no mistake , i guess if a bail of the stuff fell on someone that could give a % point but as far as i know it theres never been a single case of a death

kevmoz

kevmoz

Im a disabled sufferer who 2 year ago was convicted for using MJ for spinal pain. Better than taking prescription meds as they mess your head up. Why do they keep discriminating against us ill people in the UK? The drugs, hospitals give you, mess your brain and body up and even rot your teeth and liver and stomach. Now MJ helps me so why give us fines? Ive been using for nearly 20 yrs and i have no problems and im a heavy smoker...Over 20 cigs a day plus and eat it too. So please how can they justify downgrading ectasy from class a to class b when so dangerous after killing so many people over the years. Now MJ has always kept me calm and relaxed, and im still going now without any problems so how can they justify putting MJ to class B ????/????????
What is the UK coming to, Credit Crunch.....They even take from people who need it for pain and cant afford to live due to the price of everything going up. Why do they take from the Poor? Robbing the Poor to give to the Rich. Now is that why Robin Hood came on the scene years ago i wonder. Its a pity our own people can't have a revolution againt this sad goverment who are suppossed to take our views into consideration and help familys who are poor. You see them driving there fast cars and taking there holidays in villas, drinking there low cost liquor and cigs, We get added tax. Its like they have brain washed everyone what does not smoke MJ. Our people need to open there eyes about this goverment. We need an Uprising. Come on fight against this Bill.
kevmoz

Notoriousskunk

Notoriousskunk

Seriously what the fuck can we do to try and stop this ridiculous law , i mean i hate smoking outside n e way but i do like to smoke out there sum times but i am pissed of there is more issues with people taking coke,e and all the rest of the class A shit y are they picking on something like weed. we should fucking introduce crystal meth and give them a reason to start doing there jobs properly.

how can we try to change this law back i am game any ideas?:wondering

Top Bottom