Understanding percentage of runoff in coco

• Thread starter Blakeja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blakeja

Blakeja

I am trying to understand when someone references to ensure a % of run off per fertigation.
I would like to know what is this percentage given? How can I calculate it to ensure iam not under watering.
I don’t want to leave any salts behind in the ball.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks,

Enforcer

Enforcer

It’s generally an estimate. I fertigate by time. I run the pump until the pot is dripping quickly and then shut it off. As long as I’m getting runoff that’s flushing old salts and refreshing the coco I don’t worry about it beyond that.

Blakeja

Blakeja

It’s generally an estimate. I fertigate by time. I run the pump until the pot is dripping quickly and then shut it off. As long as I’m getting runoff that’s flushing old salts and refreshing the coco I don’t worry about it beyond that.
Awesome thank you!

mikeross

mikeross

You're over thinking it... just make sure you're getting runoff and you should be good if your not overfeeding.

Last run I experimented and did anywhere from 3-6 small feeds per day in smaller coco pots. I also lowered my EC way down. I've noticed that I don't really need to have any runoff. I think the lower feed strength, paired with smaller more frequent feeds eliminated most if not all of my salt buildup. Next round I'm gonna do half the room with zero runoff and see if I notice any difference. Last run with the multiple day feedings was my healthiest and biggest yielding run with this strain.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
You're over thinking it... just make sure you're getting runoff and you should be good if your not overfeeding.

Last run I experimented and did anywhere from 3-6 small feeds per day in smaller coco pots. I also lowered my EC way down. I've noticed that I don't really need to have any runoff. I think the lower feed strength, paired with smaller more frequent feeds eliminated most if not all of my salt buildup. Next round I'm gonna do half the room with zero runoff and see if I notice any difference. Last run with the multiple day feedings was my healthiest and biggest yielding run with this strain.
Ive been doing almost exactly this but I think I should lower my ppm now because Ive had to do a once a week flush with ph water due to high runoff numbers...

kekkeruusi

kekkeruusi

You could measure your run off ec and see if it’s in correct range when compared to nutrient solution ec. If you’re fertigating with ec 1.5 your run off ec should stay within 1.5-1.8. If it gets higher than desired just increase watering frequency or fertigate with 1/3 strength nutrient solution until you get to proper range.

Lets say that you have 5 gal pots 70 coco/30 perlite and relative humidity in 50-60% with 25-28 c temperature. Then you can fertigate once a day with 20% run off and stay in optimal run off ec. Your vpd will also be quite optimal within this range.

Blakeja

Blakeja

You could measure your run off ec and see if it’s in correct range when compared to nutrient solution ec. If you’re fertigating with ec 1.5 your run off ec should stay within 1.5-1.8. If it gets higher than desired just increase watering frequency or fertigate with 1/3 strength nutrient solution until you get to proper range.

Lets say that you have 5 gal pots 70 coco/30 perlite and relative humidity in 50-60% with 25-28 c temperature. Then you can fertigate once a day with 20% run off and stay in optimal run off ec. Your vpd will also be quite optimal within this range.

thank you I think I will follow this method, what do you gauge the 20% run off from? 20% of water in or 20% of pot volume?
Thanks, blake

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
thank you I think I will follow this method, what do you gauge the 20% run off from? 20% of water in or 20% of pot volume?
Thanks, blake

Total feed. Like they stated above you are fine with an estimate. Exact is more for hundreds and hundreds of plants if you want to lower your waste and nute cost. You can always measure a feed in ml and multiply that by feeds per day and get a number if you like to be technical.

kekkeruusi

kekkeruusi

Thanks, blake
20% from the water you put in. Just make sure that coco stays fully saturated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom