Understanding Phosphorus In Soil

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

"
With all of that in mind, what are the symptoms that come with a phosphorus deficiency? Stunted growth could be from any number of different nutrient deficiencies. There are some ways to be able to tell and distinguish to give the gardener an opportunity to compensate for any potentially fatal crop or soil deficiencies. Plants that are deficient in phosphorus are stunted in growth as well as they typically have a very unusual dark-green coloration to them.

There could also be the development of anthocyanin pigments that give off a reddish-purple color in the cases of extreme phosphorus deficiencies. If your plant is exhibiting these types of discolorations, then the time to act is right now if the plant is to grow to its potential. These different colorations could be natural from your plant species, however. A few more symptoms to look for include a significantly lesser leaf expansion and a much smaller leaf surface area. Less leaves on the plant could also be the side-effect of low phosphorus levels. Also, be sure to check that the root mass looks appropriate and strong as lessened root growth is a very strong indicator of a low P level in your soil. Some of the other effects that a lower level than needed of P could include delayed maturity, poor quality forage, fruit, vegetable and grain crops, as well as a much higher sensitivity to plant illness.

Keep all of these factors in mind as you watch the growth of your plants to be able to diagnose a deficiency of phosphorus and take the necessary actions to be able to compensate for such a scenario. We are proud to offer Liquid Bloom and Mag-Pro to be able to help combat these devastating effects which a phosphorus deficiency has against all plants."

http://dyna-gro-blog.com/phosphorus-in-plants-and-soils/

Homesteader

Homesteader

How important is Phosphate again? Was just reading a no-tiller talk down Phosphate like its a GMO hydroponic grape.

Last edited:
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Perception

Perception

I'm diggin the bone char concept. Anyone know anything about the difference between:
-> bone char
-> Water-Soluble Calcium Phosphate (WCP - Dr. Cho's natural farming)
?

I'm guessing that the bone char lasts much MUCH longer (hundreds of years??), whereas the WCP is probably just good for a season. But you can make the WCP at home pretty easily. Looks like the Bone Char requires some pretty high heat. This video, from above, is the one I watched:

Latest posts

Top Bottom