Understanding Phosphorus In Soil

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Evergreenz

Evergreenz

This thread is amazing I knew P was needed for stem and root health, but no where near to the extent explained. Thank you @Homesteader for this valuable info and to all who contributed.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I'm diggin the bone char concept. Anyone know anything about the difference between:
-> bone char
-> Water-Soluble Calcium Phosphate (WCP - Dr. Cho's natural farming)
?

I'm guessing that the bone char lasts much MUCH longer (hundreds of years??), whereas the WCP is probably just good for a season. But you can make the WCP at home pretty easily. Looks like the Bone Char requires some pretty high heat. This video, from above, is the one I watched:

Bone char is for the soil to feed the microbes. High calcium high carbon. I love this stuff. I use fertrell brand 0-16-0

Evergreenz

Evergreenz

Does anybody have recommendations on how often to apply the bone char? I have been researhing and getting mixed answers some say one and done for years some say in spring and again in fall... can we get a lil more light shed on the bone char from the experts? It sounds amazing from what I have been reading. Thanks

Homesteader

Homesteader

Marijuana - Sweet Leaf
Corn
Asparagus
Tomatoes &
Artichokes?
You may have to compare these. Not a ton of info on the subject. I used a healthy dose on my pumpkin and spaghetti squash and had a great year.

The phosphorus fertilizer value of bone char for potatoes, wheat, and onions

View attachment dn050374.pdf
Last edited:
Evergreenz

Evergreenz

You may have to compare these. Not a ton of info on the subject. I used a healthy dose on my pumpkin and spaghetti squash and had a great year.

The phosphorus fertilizer value of bone char for potatoes, wheat, and onions
Sounds good thank you will just apply as a top dress

Perception

Perception

Anyone have a good online source for bone char? I see a lot for use in aquarium applications - and definitely not cheap.

Homesteader

Homesteader

This shows the stored Phosphate and in and out flows.
Sqrsw8 1

S

Slownickel

Most of what folks read about P is not true. The gov't got involved in the 70's and the 80's and decided that P was causing problems in rivers and streams resulting in algae growth. Turns out it was the dairy guys dumping their manure on their pastures near rivers that caused the issue. Terrible science.

P=K in ppms in your soil analysis. If P>K, that is like having too much money! Dump it on folks and watch what happens! Now, I know that this will cause some micronutrient issues. (but not that many really)!

Latest posts

Top Bottom