Understanding what makes a hermie a hermie!

• Thread starter Mrgrows466
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mrgrows466

Mrgrows466

Ive been reading up alot on hermaphrodites ever since my 2 out of my 6 plants turned on me and pollinated the other 4. Ive heard different information which I cant be biased with because Im a new grower. So I take in all I can absorb, what works works and what dont i just disregard. I heard hermies are in all seeds genetics then i herd that its not natural for a plant to grow both genders at once, that something must of caused it to turn hermie! So i ask all off the seeds that get produced from a hermie plants , will they turn hermie because thats what the genetics already have naturally or do they go back to being its natural orgin, male or female?

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Any plant can be a hermaphrodite for many different reasons, environment, pests, genetics, deficiencies and toxicities. The herm plant that has inherited these traits is not a plant that you want to keep or grow the seeds from because the genetics will make it hard to weed out the herm traits.
You can make a plant herm from stress or colloidal silver to get fem pollen and then pollinate the female flower of the same plant to get femenized f1 seeds. If this is done some of the herm genetics will be carried into the seeds and offspring. Over time self pollinating plants will ruin their genetics and become seed pods.
A female plant herming is just a survival tactic of the plant. It's trying to pollinate itself because there wasn't a male to pollinate it.

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

Genetics.

Some plants can handle loads of stress, others herm at the first sign of it. Whether it is from an external trigger or none at all, if the trait is in the genetics, there will always be the potential for it to express itself. I would disagree that all seeds have herm genetics.

linde

linde

I'm gonna go against the grain here but I actually like certain hermie traits for outdoor gardens only. No weeding out males. Fresh all female seeds for next years garden. Inbreeding your strains keeping your genetics stable and consistant. Indoors hell no but I prefer them for outdoor gardens and have a seed stash strictly for that purpose.

Mrgrows466

Mrgrows466

well that is a lot of info and i appreciate all the help i can get, but the herms pollinated my girls and now i should not use the seeds my girls give me? throw all seeds away and smoke what is smokeable?

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

well that is a lot of info and i appreciate all the help i can get, but the herms pollinated my girls and now i should not use the seeds my girls give me? throw all seeds away and smoke what is smokeable?
Making seeds I suppose brings the flowering process to a earlier end, so less flowers and potency. but its all smokable. No need to toss anything. People don't like Hermies because of they cut the flowering short. But as far as I know all 'feminized seeds" sold came out of plants someone induced into herming. All grow into females, few of them herm naturally. I think if you like the smoke you grew keep it, if not find some other seeds for the next grow. I guess if it hermed naturally it maybe in the genetics being passed on. The upside to it is you'll never have to buy seeds again.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

I am a little bit curious to this as well. After a run i found maybe 10 seeds. Curious if those will be good or not. Could not observe lower quality or elsewise..but I am no expert

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

I am a little bit curious to this as well. After a run i found maybe 10 seeds. Curious if those will be good or not. Could not observe lower quality or elsewise..but I am no expert
You might leave some on the bush longer to let the seeds mature.

Top Bottom