Underwater growing [Ideas/comments]

• Thread starter yosemite
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Could it work

• Total voters
Y

yosemite

Do you think it would be possible to grow underwater using a device similar to a diving bell? through pumps the gas is recycled and refreshed and keeps the water from rising due to pressure so you could easily have areas of grow medium with which to grow. the only other obstacle would be lighting, but you could send down water-proof electrical lines with the pump hoses if need be. another option would be a glass diving bell to allow natural light. perhaps shafts could be used like in the 08 Olympics to funnel the light down. thanx for any help/assistance. i think it's a fun idea and i think i can try to experiment to see if it could work. the best part about it is that it would be discreet and the cables/hoses could even be buried if needed.

mace

mace

Step 1:
Put pot down.....lol

i dont see why you couldn't do this but it would be expensive for sure.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
LOL, sry to laugh but am very stoned!.
Just dont think you thought this through bro..

S

SenorMota

Well, I want to be the first to grow weed on the moon. People will say "damn, this shit is out-of-this-world!" LOL

7rayos

I grew before in a swimming pool, but i emptied it first, could have take the chance then. I guess it's totally viable, just a metacrilate dome with a special NASA hose connected to an intractor, then another to an extractor, then another for wiring, then (oh, dammit!) an entrance, but hey, nothing someone with a swimming pool large enough couldn't afford.

Y

yosemite

i know that it would cost money, but the question isn't how much but if. i did think this through very much. I'm quite intelligent :) the cost would only come from lighting and heating if needed. BUT glass diving bells have been used for centuries. it's sound in theory and would simply need a fabricated device. anyways constructive criticism is always welcome ^_^

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Seems the maintenance would be too much. Keeping up with the garden is tough enough without a wet suit and oxygen tanks :)

F

Finalopagus

Well, I want to be the first to grow weed on the moon. People will say "damn, this shit is out-of-this-world!" LOL

god dam it thats my idea! :rofl

The pressure in the "bubble/dome" will be your problem. After reading up on pH of leaves I learned that the leaf itself has alot a requirements. Atmospheric Pressure, to much or to little, plays a HUGE part in the health of the plant. So I worry about the ability to keep things "normal" underwater, but with money....

Whippleschnitz

Whippleschnitz

I'm sure that someone with enough money and time could create a working model like you describe. Fabrication wouldn't be terribly difficult. The big question I have about it is why? It would seem to me that it would be a bit of a pain to have to get wet or climb into a wetsuit to tend the garden. How about building a chamber large enough to walk around?

Y

yosemite

well thats what i had in mind. it would make no sense to make a small one. if someone were to do it it might be possible to let it grow by itself with the use of automated watering. and a shaft could be made if people didnt want to get wet :D see Ithaa

as far as pressure; i know. but you could adjust the depth to make the pressure more acceptable. either way it's just a pet idea. i plan to try it out one day. i think a working model could be completed for only around 10-20k

P

ProGroWannabe

Well I'm not gonna be a nay-sayer! I LOVE creativity, and this is a cool concept that hasn't had much attention in our circles.

IMO.....
1. The entire structure needs to be designed specifically for (and around) the intended destination. Where it will be placed will mean MUCH to the design parameters.

2. Once a location is established that is as secure as possible, then the design can be put into motion in the planning stages. What I mean by secure is that one will be working on this for quite some time, and if you have to change locations in the middle, you'll need to go back to planning stage 1.

3. There will need to be redundancy built into all systems. Redundancy rate of at least 2X.

But is it feasable?....well hell yeah it's feasable! If they can build tunnels through miles and miles of ocean channel, then why the hell can't ya build a bubble to grow in. Afterall, Sandy on Spongebob lives in a tree-dome underwater...lol.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
but why build underwater... i like creativity for sure but WHY, so many issues to deal with; pressure, electricty + water = bad idea, access to room too many negatives to then make a positive. Stick to terra ferma imo.

Sorry for seeming like an asshole.

M

mrdjk5

wicked man , u got to get a thread going when (not if) you get it going man sounds very interesting man
peace mrd

H

HerbalTea

...The pressure in the "bubble/dome" will be your problem. After reading up on pH of leaves I learned that the leaf itself has alot a requirements. Atmospheric Pressure, to much or to little, plays a HUGE part in the health of the plant. So I worry about the ability to keep things "normal" underwater, but with money....
Very interesting info, I wouldn't even have considered that, m'self...
...as far as pressure; i know. but you could adjust the depth to make the pressure more acceptable. either way it's just a pet idea...
There's no harm at all in experimenting if ya can afford it, and it's always fun to consider garden possibilities...but ya might be more constrained by pressure than ya think (depending on what sorta effects growing in higher pressures would do...I haven't a clue). I haven't done any scuba diving in the last coupla years, but just so ya know...at sea level, atmospheric pressure is a shade under 15 pounds per square inch. Every 33 feet of water adds another 1 atmosphere of pressure, so would require additional dome pressure inside to keep water from flooding in. Depending on just how air pressure affects MJ plants, ya might hafta go to shallow waters. In which case, you might as well stick to land. Light will be your other problem, as red light (best for flowering) is VERY quickly absorbed by water as you descend. (Assuming you're serious about using a clear acrylic or glass diving bell...) My diving mask is color corrected to offset some of this, but the deeper you go, the less effective it is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom