Unhappy clones please try to help

• Thread starter Hamsandwichman44
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hamsandwichman44

I’m having trouble with these clones I picked up, they looked really happy at first and went downhill each day.
They were rooted in rock wool (small roots about 1/4 inch protruding from bottom at transplant).
Soil is fox farm ocean Forest with some amendments I added Neem meal, Kelp meal, Alfalfa meal, charcoal and lava rock.
Light is 300 watt LED 24” at half power 18/6.
Temp is stable around 72, humidity was low at first around 30 but I added a humidifier now it’s around 50.
At first I thought I was over watering and I made some adjustments there.

The plants on the left are about a week and a half in the soil and are just barely alive…I lost two others already.. they looked super healthy when I first got them.
The plants on the right were transplanted 2 days ago and are starting to droop and act like the other ones did.. I’m at a loss trying to understand what I’m doing wrong. Never lost rooted clones like this…
I pulled two plants 2 days ago that I figured weren’t going to make it.. the roots hadn’t grown into the soil it seems… it’s like they just don’t want to grow in my soil mix…

Unhappy clones please try to help
Unhappy clones please try to help 2
GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Hmm. I’ve never put rockwool into soil before. Are you sure the cube is pulling enough moisture out of the soil while it’s trying to root? Might try misting just around the plant to nurse it along. I’m really just thinking out loud here.

I’d drop the light intensity even more till they get healthy. I have to imagine adding amendments to OF has it holding a lot of water. Higher humidity would probably help also

H

Hamsandwichman44

Hmm. I’ve never put rockwool into soil before. Are you sure the cube is pulling enough moisture out of the soil while it’s trying to root? Might try misting just around the plant to nurse it along. I’m really just thinking out loud here.

I’d drop the light intensity even more till they get healthy. I have to imagine adding amendments to OF has it holding a lot of water. Higher humidity would probably help also
Idk how I’d know if the cube is pulling moisture or not. The soil around it has been watered anywhere from two days in a row, to not watering for 4 days and haven’t seen a difference either way… they just droooop and wilt..
Misting around the cube seems like a decent idea to see if it’s lacking moisture… but if it’s not, then I feel like I’d be overwatering and be back in the same boat as in the beginning.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Well if you can up the humidity and temp it should help. I’d dim the light some also. I don’t see low temps and rh killing your plants though.

H

Hamsandwichman44

Well if you can up the humidity and temp it should help. I’d dim the light some also. I don’t see low temps and rh killing your plants though.
Light has been at 50% but I’ll dim it a bit more.
I’m considering pulling one of the new ones and transplanting in just Foxfarm Ocean Forest. Maybe the mix is too hot with the stuff I added?

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

Ocean forest is hot soil, you added something to it to , heat it some more.
Did you dumb it down a bit as some mix it 50/50 with the regular stuff.

Watered? Just that or you put something in it too.

Definitely something from the top of your cube down.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Light has been at 50% but I’ll dim it a bit more.
I’m considering pulling one of the new ones and transplanting in just Foxfarm Ocean Forest. Maybe the mix is too hot with the stuff I added?
They really can’t handle a lot when establishing roots. It doesn’t look like they are getting established enough too me. I dunno about it being to “hot” that’s more referring to compost breaking down imo but that’s a whole nother can of worm. If anything it needs more perlite for drainage. I’m not seeing anything that says too much nutes or lockout or anything like that

H

Hamsandwichman44

Ocean forest is hot soil, you added something to it to , heat it some more.
Did you dumb it down a bit as some mix it 50/50 with the regular stuff.

Watered? Just that or you put something in it too.

Definitely something from the top of your cube down.
I am aware FFOF can be a hot soil, I added amendments under the impression they would break down and become usable over time. So no I didn’t “dumb down” the mix, that seems counterintuitive.

H

Hamsandwichman44

They really can’t handle a lot when establishing roots. It doesn’t look like they are getting established enough too me. I dunno about it being to “hot” that’s more referring to compost breaking down imo but that’s a whole nother can of worm. If anything it needs more perlite for drainage. I’m not seeing anything that says too much nutes or lockout or anything like that
The soil mix has loads of perlite and plenty of drainage. I’m baffled.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

72 is scraping the bottom of the barrel to be warm enough for good root growth imo. That’s assuming your thermometer is actually accurate. Soil temp is probably bellow room temp? I can’t remember if it generally runs cooler at warmer lol but I think cooler.

If one thing is true of growing is that it’s almost never just one thing.
Try to dial in environment.

Personally I put my clones into a 4inch or solo cup for a week. It’s just easier to deal with

They have apps to measure light intensity. They aren’t perfect but it’s something. Photone is the iPhone one

B42D423E FC11 4E28 847A EC27D9297F21
H

Hamsandwichman44

Also thank you guys for the replies!

Any advise or insight is appreciated as I am almost completely stumped as to why they aren’t taking root in the soil…

I completed a run last month with the same equipment, only changes is the amendments…………. My temps were out of control high (high 80s low 90s) with that run also..

H

Hamsandwichman44

Thanks GroHobo, the soil temp feels warmer when I finger it..
I could move my LED Driver to inside the tent to help raise temps.

I will also try out the light meter for iPhone although that seems pretty laughable if I’m being honest.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Thanks GroHobo, the soil temp feels warmer when I finger it..
I could move my LED Driver to inside the tent to help raise temps.

I will also try out the light meter for iPhone although that seems pretty laughable if I’m being honest.
This just reminded me I’m a dipshit for not taking mine out during summer 😭

Im sure someone has done comparisons with actual expensive ass light meters, I’m not going down that rabbit hole though lol

Radiator heaters are alright to run in tight spaces if the driver don’t get it done.

H

Hamsandwichman44

This just reminded me I’m a dipshit for not taking mine out during summer 😭

Im sure someone has done comparisons with actual expensive ass light meters, I’m not going down that rabbit hole though lol

Radiator heaters are alright to run in tight spaces if the driver don’t get it done.
I just went to my driver and it’s not even warm, it’s running at 25% so that’s not gonna heat up shit lmao..

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Generally wanna keep the pots off the ground if you can also. Especially if your on cement.

Good luck. Your in the right place to get things squared away

TSD

TSD

Can you get a seedling heat mat to put the pots over? I always use one when rooting clones initially... did you thoroughly saturate the soil when you first put them in it? Just thinking maybe the root hit an air pocket and got stunted or something? Definitely could stand to be warmer over all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom