Unknown leaf curling, possibly genetics?

• Thread starter Otaku_grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Otaku_grower

Otaku_grower

Hello fellow growers!
I am currently working on my second grow run with a northern lights auto flower. I am on day 13, feeding 6.5 ph water when it’s dry, growing in roots organics potting soil which I amended with some earthworm castings and mycorrhizae. Not sure what kind of light I own since it was previously a friends but it is sold as a “600 w” light with a veg and flower switch; I am currently juts running the veg light. I had it at about 18 inches from the canopy and just moved it to 26 inches from the canopy to try and help with my “problem”. I noticed that one half of my new leaves was coming out curled into itself and the other was slightly twisty. The twisting took care of itself after a day or two but the other still looks like it is curling into itself. I’ve been told it could have been my light distance or too much air circulation. Once I raised the light it started to grow much more straight. A small part of me wants to believe it could be genetics since the next growth looks like it will have the same: one straight leaf and one curled leaf. Have not seen many pictures for this situation so I wanted to post and share and get some feedback on what y’all might think it could possibly be.
Unknown leaf curling possibly genetics 3
Unknown leaf curling possibly genetics 2
Unknown leaf curling possibly genetics

FourPlants

FourPlants

It sounds like your light is one of the many "600 watt" Chinese blurples. The light doesn't use anywhere close to 600 watts most likely and isn't your issue at 18 inches.

I am still on my first cannabis grow and behind you so I will let others more experienced members chime in on any possible deficiencies. To me it just looks like genetics.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
the leaves droop a little for a lot of reasons, mostly light, water, humidity and things like that. does it stay that way? many times they wake like that then raise the laaves in a bit. they do that if you water them sometimes. they definitely do that if you are over watering. only water them when the container is light. when you pick it up you can tell if it needs water, dont water till it needs it. if it is not happy with the light it might do that. just too many reasons without lots more info on its daily life.

keep watching them, they will do ok.

the light is not great, but should grow a plant. if you want to put some money into the one thing that will have the most impact, buy a light. spiderfarmer guy on here has some codes for discount. i like viparspectra, uses the samsung diodes and the meanwell driver, so a decent light. you can get a 150w (that is the actual wattage used, not that "lights like" number they use) for about $100 on the site no tax and no shipping and you can find discount codes too. that is good for a 2x2 space.

Otaku_grower

Otaku_grower

the leaves droop a little for a lot of reasons, mostly light, water, humidity and things like that. does it stay that way? many times they wake like that then raise the laaves in a bit. they do that if you water them sometimes. they definitely do that if you are over watering. only water them when the container is light. when you pick it up you can tell if it needs water, dont water till it needs it. if it is not happy with the light it might do that. just too many reasons without lots more info on its daily life.

the light is not great, but should grow a plant. if you want to put some money into the one thing that will have the most impact, buy a light. spiderfarmer guy on here has some codes for discount. i like viparspectra, uses the samsung diodes and the meanwell driver, so a decent light. you can get a 150w (that is the actual wattage used, not that "lights like" number they use) for about $100 on the site no tax and no shipping and you can find discount codes too. that is good for a 2x2 space.
Thank you for the informative response. I’m definitely going to keep watching as she seems healthy and is growing at a good pace. The leaves do end up raising a bit after they wake. I’m glad you brought up the light because I will definitely be needing a better one and I appreciate the recommendations, I might just go and order that viparspectra right now.

Otaku_grower

Otaku_grower

It sounds like your light is one of the many "600 watt" Chinese blurples. The light doesn't use anywhere close to 600 watts most likely and isn't your issue at 18 inches.

I am still on my first cannabis grow and behind you so I will let others more experienced members chime in on any possible deficiencies. To me it just looks like genetics.
I think it’s genetics too. Both my grows I have used growers choice and this happened last time as well, just later on in veg. And I definitely need to get a new light 😓

DrStadanko

DrStadanko

stealth is right a good light is necessary,, get that plant to a larger container too

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

One of my plants has a little deformed leaf mutation that shows every couple nodes. Doesn't seem to hinder growth at all. Just how it is, like freckles.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
right now your girl is putting effort into making roots. she is not nearly as worried about that leaf as you are! i believe it will all settle out and grow like you think it should really soon. stuff like that is usually how it was caught up in the seed shell and how it made its way out. i have seen a small bit of woody stuff get right in the seed path and one leaf ended up with it through it.

the next leaves, the ones you see a tad of there, will be 5 lobes and more normal, then it will take off!

i really like my lights. i started with one light and have grown to 6 and 2 tents and its spread to the kitchen window! lol. i like more lights instead of a big one. i raise and lower each as needed, and i can dim them as i need to also.

if you use the viparspectra site instead of amazon, there is no tax and free shipping. also there are better codes on video reviews but there are 8% codes everywhere and easy to find. you might want to look on amazon, there is some sale going on, like $30 or so. the tax savings for me was a better deal though.

lights are complicated and lots of people have loud opinions. i have two opinions i will share, one - the @SpiderFarmerLED member here has been very supportive and is available to us here and that means a lot. they do giveaways and support us. this is a community and that does mean something. and two - i use viparspectra and can say what i know from proximity.

while researching lights, i went from knowing for a fact that light is ... well, light; to not knowing anything at all about light and pretty sure i couldnt raise my right hand and say it is lighty.

but in reading, many think highly of the Samsung diodes and meanwell drivers. viparspectra has those.

personal experience though, the xs series has the good stuff, the p series has other diodes. i have both.

i am a (retired, so i learned when there were tubes and bimags... but i grew into digital well enough) Electrical Engineer (if that means anything... i mean some random saying they are a bright bulb... ) and i have some access to some nice testing equipment, i dont see any notable differences in the diodes at all. i did some heat and cold testing and some other easy tests, they show no differences. ive only had them since march, so time will tell, but for now they are very similar, the p actually is a higher reading on my lux app. the app is not a reliable measure, but it is a consistent one, so it is a definite difference in them.

anyway... spider farmer is a better light, so is the viparspectra. you will be very happy with either!

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

That is normal varigation (vegetation variation). Most strains do that in the beginning.
A different light is a good idea.

Otaku_grower

Otaku_grower

right now your girl is putting effort into making roots. she is not nearly as worried about that leaf as you are! i believe it will all settle out and grow like you think it should really soon. stuff like that is usually how it was caught up in the seed shell and how it made its way out. i have seen a small bit of woody stuff get right in the seed path and one leaf ended up with it through it.

the next leaves, the ones you see a tad of there, will be 5 lobes and more normal, then it will take off!

i really like my lights. i started with one light and have grown to 6 and 2 tents and its spread to the kitchen window! lol. i like more lights instead of a big one. i raise and lower each as needed, and i can dim them as i need to also.

if you use the viparspectra site instead of amazon, there is no tax and free shipping. also there are better codes on video reviews but there are 8% codes everywhere and easy to find. you might want to look on amazon, there is some sale going on, like $30 or so. the tax savings for me was a better deal though.

lights are complicated and lots of people have loud opinions. i have two opinions i will share, one - the @SpiderFarmerLED member here has been very supportive and is available to us here and that means a lot. they do giveaways and support us. this is a community and that does mean something. and two - i use viparspectra and can say what i know from proximity.

while researching lights, i went from knowing for a fact that light is ... well, light; to not knowing anything at all about light and pretty sure i couldnt raise my right hand and say it is lighty.

but in reading, many think highly of the Samsung diodes and meanwell drivers. viparspectra has those.

personal experience though, the xs series has the good stuff, the p series has other diodes. i have both.

i am a (retired, so i learned when there were tubes and bimags... but i grew into digital well enough) Electrical Engineer (if that means anything... i mean some random saying they are a bright bulb... ) and i have some access to some nice testing equipment, i dont see any notable differences in the diodes at all. i did some heat and cold testing and some other easy tests, they show no differences. ive only had them since march, so time will tell, but for now they are very similar, the p actually is a higher reading on my lux app. the app is not a reliable measure, but it is a consistent one, so it is a definite difference in them.

anyway... spider farmer is a better light, so is the viparspectra. you will be very happy with either!
One of my theories was that it could just be coming out like that because it was caught somewhere but I didn’t know how ethical a theory that was so I’m glad someone else thinks the same! I saw that sale for the viparspectra and snagged one for myself, it’ll be in tomorrow and I’m hoping that’ll help her develop much nicer.

Top Bottom