Unlocking Cannabis’ Full Potential: The Case For and Against UV Scynce Led Light UV Cannabis Relation What is the true UV and Cannabis relation?

• Thread starter DonnainTripp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blastfact

Blastfact

There are some inconvenient truths concerning UV.
#1 You don't need UV to grow weed.

#2 UVC will kill you, UVB production goes down very fast and does not need to be ran as long in a light cycle as many think. UVA does not wear out it's production source near as fast as UVB but needs to be ran longer during the light cycle. But not as a long as many think.

#3 As weed becomes more and more crap hybrid weed it responds less and less to UV. If the plants your growing don't have a mountain or aired region in there DNA they will not respond at best to UV. And at worse UV can and will hurt them. This can also be seen in how crap hybrid weed plants deal with and protect themselves concerning pest. As one breeds to improve something most times you lose something.

#4 The whole goal/end game concerning UV is to make the plant make more sun screen to protect it's self from UV. It wont make your trichomes more potent. Just more of them if they respond to UV. Ever wondered why mountain and aired strains are the best hash producers? And the best with drought tolerance.

I keep simple UVA in my tents and it becomes very clear when a grow responds or rejects UV. Current Rosetta Stone plant hated UV when I turned it on soon as bud sites were set. When I turned it on was just before the zero degree weather we had a few weeks ago. The plant stopped growing, stretch stopped, large fan leaves started dying. Thought it's the weather and the massive low pressure system over us. Turned the UV off and they were back in less than 48 hours. And the low pressure system and record breaking low temps were still in play. Duh,,, it was the UV. The plant hated it.

K

KenKenaf

Lots of studies attribute responses to specific wavelengths for really no known reason. The scientific method of "We used this. Other variables also but did include this variable".

electroguy

electroguy

Totally agree, I'm definitely more of an intuitive grower, but I understand a bit of the science too, probably more so since joining this forum honestly. My mom was a gardener, she made her own super soil before it was called that, didn't measure anything, let her intuition tell her how much, and I've had success doing the same... There really is a such thing as a green thumb. If her house plants were looking sad, she'd give them an aggressive haircut and feed them fish emulsion and they were glorious inside of a few weeks. There's a fine line between knowing the science and using it to your advantage, and trying to completely control a living thing. Sure many products are beneficial, but there is a such thing as too much. When I see someone post all thier goodies and it's like 20 different bottles and a strict schedule, it makes my head spin a little. I get that stuff is necessary in an inert medium... but that's why I do soil.
Not to sound like a feminist man hater or anything, because I'm definitely not, but I think a lot of men follow the old patriarchal beliefs, even subconsciously, that women can't possibly be as good at certain things as men... growing, being a chef, the medical field... which is silly because women have been the growers of food, makers of meals and birthers of babies for millennia. Damn fragile male ego, so easily threatened. 🤣 So maybe that's another reason more women aren't here on the farm, they get sick of having thier skills questioned, having to prove themselves to men yet again, and being made to feel subpar because they happen to have a vagina... because that's a reality of life unfortunately, it was ingrained in society for centuries... I mean we just got the right to vote pretty recently and men are still making laws about our bodies. So maybe most just do thier own thing because they don't want to deal with it and don't need the validation as badly anyway. I'm here to learn personally, and there are plenty of cool guys on here that aren't condescending douchebags. That's the end of my rant lol... and I love men, I'm married to a pretty great one. 😊
Wow, I really like your passion. I couldn't help but notice your ability to spell and use punctuation. Every place I go to on the web is now filled with people who, it would appear, have no idea even how to make a complete sentence. Thank you for being so articulate. Happy growing!

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
This type of 'open minded' approach to improvement is how success and innovation are found IMO.
In my other hobby there are standard test, but I often contest that we don't even know what to really test for.
Are both hobbies going strong, yup.
But if there is no room for improvement or innovation then we should be content.
I like to push the envelope in odd ways.
Some of my odd ways have become common practice in other areas.
OPEN MIND. 💪

You didn't lose. I will probably never waste time or money on UV.
No one has even spoke of life span of true UV.
I think many will be surprised to see how short their true spectrum last.
There is tons of research that indicates 1 year if left running 24/7[ water treatment] down to 6 months if a regular on/off cycle occurs.
On/ off kills them and growers need to use it .
Not sure if they relate but UV is not for me.👍

^^THIS^^
Something special..
I love the sun. 😍
I don't know if I posted these pics yet.
This type of 'open minded' approach to improvement is how success and innovation are found IMO.
In my other hobby there are standard test, but I often contest that we don't even know what to really test for.
Are both hobbies going strong, yup.
But if there is no room for improvement or innovation then we should be content.
I like to push the envelope in odd ways.
Some of my odd ways have become common practice in other areas.
OPEN MIND. 💪

You didn't lose. I will probably never waste time or money on UV.
No one has even spoke of life span of true UV.
I think many will be surprised to see how short their true spectrum last.
There is tons of research that indicates 1 year if left running 24/7[ water treatment] down to 6 months if a regular on/off cycle occurs.
On/ off kills them and growers need to use it .
Not sure if they relate but UV is not for me.👍

^^THIS^^
Something special..
I love the sun. 😍
I don't know if I posted these pics before, for those who love outdoor...... seeds from a friend and they may not be the best genetics, there were different phenos, the females seemed like they leaned a bit Sativa. I found the flower-to-leaf ratio a bit low, but on the plus side, we had an exceptionally late, warm fall. I also wanted to make seeds so I pollinated with a big strong Indica dom male. If you can zoom in I think the resin production was pretty good for getting about 7 hrs of sun a day, and making seeds.

20221016 113848
20221016 114145
20221016 114221
20221017 143330
20221101 142727
20221101 142750
20221020 123610
20221116 154003
20221122 154208
Z

Zill

Always amazed at the cultivars and their traits. Beautiful plant. A nice hedge right off the driveway.

Zill.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Guerilla science - 15 day progression of UV added to the grow

IMG 3902

IMG 3947

IMG 4013

I'm thinking 8-12 days until harvest. The UV will be used until the end.
I've seen enough to keep me using into my next grow. It's not hurting anything and while I'm mostly focused on this single flower there's other changes to my crop happening. I'm not certain of a 'Use UV, see more trichs' effect but there are a ton of leaves with fine dustings of resin along with an oily-sappy look to the leaves. IDK if it's because of UV or not, could be genetics or a minimalist approach to fertilizers for all I know, but there is one certainty in that there is a shit-ton of usable material on these plants for extraction, much more than what I'm accustomed to being able to harvest and use

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

View attachment 1320083

View attachment 1320084

View attachment 1320085

I've seen enough to keep me using into my next grow. It's not hurting anything and while I'm mostly focused on this single flower there's other changes to my crop happening. I'm not certain of a 'Use UV, see more trichs' effect but there are a ton of leaves with fine dustings of resin along with an oily-sappy look to the leaves. IDK if it's because of UV or not, could be genetics or a minimalist approach to fertilizers for all I know, but there is one certainty in that there is a shit-ton of usable material on these plants for extraction, much more than what I'm accustomed to being able to harvest and use
Leaves look like it has light stress. Could the UV be stressing the plant hence why the uptick in usable material?

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

UV attracts bugs. But can keep insects away. As well as help the plant produce more rosin. As far as how much more rosin etc... not as important. I use UV lights in different setups and I have no bugs or PM. In areas I don't use UV it tends to have tiny insects and some PM.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter

View attachment 1320083

View attachment 1320084

View attachment 1320085

Correlation does not equal causation. Net/net, I'm going with adding a few hours of UV into flowering, with some acclimation first.......even if it just helps with resin, or terpenes, or other smells, tastes.....or if all it does is keep some bugs down......I'll add it. What's it gonna cost, an extra $5 an ounce?

Still need to know.......if A or B does the job, why both? Or, are both better than either/or?

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
And Animal, that is one frosty plant. I'll bet another week....or two? ;)....will make it perfect. Good job. Did you say what the strain was?

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
I’d love to see a time lapse side by side of the same plant with one side exposed to uvb and just see if the trichs do anything unique under the stress of the radiation

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
And Animal, that is one frosty plant. I'll bet another week....or two? ;)....will make it perfect. Good job. Did you say what the strain was?

Thanks man, yeah I'm thinking another week to twelve days. She don't look ready to quit yet. This cut is feminized Purple Crash from Greenpoint.

I made a sort of UV meter I can stick around different parts of my canopy. It's just a reptile card on a 3D printed holder that mounts to a garden stake. The more UV that hits it, the more purple it gets. At canopy level under my UV, it's barely a few shades violet over white and nothing like the purple the card gets a foot under the UV lamps. I'd say this garden is only getting trace amounts of UV, comparable to MH or CMH with glass filters.

So I think I can take the training wheels off the next grow.
They're mounted on outrigger brackets to the LED and they're in a gull wing position above the LED board. I'll change that by inverting the outrigger brackets so the UV is below the LED. I may also look at 3D printing brackets the UV can mount to that will lower them even more. I think the sweet spot for my UV tubes is to be 3-4" below the light panels. I don't want the card to go full purple but at least a few more shades violet

IMG 4068

DIY UV meter 🙃

IMG 4060

sambapati

sambapati

Thanks man, yeah I'm thinking another week to twelve days. She don't look ready to quit yet. This cut is feminized Purple Crash from Greenpoint.

I made a sort of UV meter I can stick around different parts of my canopy. It's just a reptile card on a 3D printed holder that mounts to a garden stake. The more UV that hits it, the more purple it gets. At canopy level under my UV, it's barely a few shades violet over white and nothing like the purple the card gets a foot under the UV lamps. I'd say this garden is only getting trace amounts of UV, comparable to MH or CMH with glass filters.

So I think I can take the training wheels off the next grow.
They're mounted on outrigger brackets to the LED and they're in a gull wing position above the LED board. I'll change that by inverting the outrigger brackets so the UV is below the LED. I may also look at 3D printing brackets the UV can mount to that will lower them even more. I think the sweet spot for my UV tubes is to be 3-4" below the light panels. I don't want the card to go full purple but at least a few more shades violet

View attachment 1320443

DIY UV meter 🙃

View attachment 1320442
Smart grow

Top Bottom