Unlocking Cannabis’ Full Potential: The Case For and Against UV Scynce Led Light UV Cannabis Relation What is the true UV and Cannabis relation?

• Thread starter DonnainTripp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
steamroller

steamroller

Conversations should go where they go, there's nothing wrong with things taking an interesting turn. :) ......I've thought about how close we're getting to the sun (or surpassing it), and we're at an interesting point in history......

Ok, so if we can already produce the light energy power of the sun, with all the right parts of the spectrum.......is there anything else the sun produces that we haven't yet artificially? Like, I know we get Vit D from the sun, I've never looked into how it gives it to us (not that plants need it, or don't, it's just an example)..Some things the sun produces we actually don't want.......at least for us....
This type of 'open minded' approach to improvement is how success and innovation are found IMO.
In my other hobby there are standard test, but I often contest that we don't even know what to really test for.
Are both hobbies going strong, yup.
But if there is no room for improvement or innovation then we should be content.
I like to push the envelope in odd ways.
Some of my odd ways have become common practice in other areas.
OPEN MIND. 💪
Really I was just trying to reach @Harpua88 and I am failing miserably, so I'll take the defeat and hope to do better next time. I wish anyone that wants to dabble in UVB better success than me.
You didn't lose. I will probably never waste time or money on UV.
No one has even spoke of life span of true UV.
I think many will be surprised to see how short their true spectrum last.
There is tons of research that indicates 1 year if left running 24/7[ water treatment] down to 6 months if a regular on/off cycle occurs.
On/ off kills them and growers need to use it .
Not sure if they relate but UV is not for me.👍

I still believe it adds something special. We don't understand everything about it. How do we know there's not some wavelength we can't measure or reaction that we haven't even fathomed? It's a great time for science and weed and for them to collide. I hope there's some cutting edge research coming our way.
^^THIS^^
Something special..
I love the sun. 😍

TSD

TSD

In my other hobby there are standard test, but I often contest that we don't even know what to really test for.
I like how you're totally vague about what that hobby is lol. If it involves a certain fungi, I approve. 🤣
I have a friend who is an amateur mycologist, I've thought about dabbling in that myself... but they seem to be more finicky than our beloved cannabis, and depending on the type, also more of a risk legally. My friend just grows a bunch of varieties and sells them to farmer's markets, pretty cool and I can see how it would be a fun hobby.

steamroller

steamroller

I like how you're totally vague about what that hobby is lol. If it involves a certain fungi, I approve. 🤣
I have a friend who is an amateur mycologist, I've thought about dabbling in that myself... but they seem to be more finicky than our beloved cannabis, and depending on the type, also more of a risk legally. My friend just grows a bunch of varieties and sells them to farmer's markets, pretty cool and I can see how it would be a fun hobby.

I bred and sold German Blue Rams [ GBR] all color varieties and helped create and name Pitch Black Rams [ PBR].
Tropical fish many consider difficult to even keep more or less breed.
I shipped [ live arrival guaranteed] to every state [Alaska in December], Hawaii and even Guam a couple times.
The breeding was all about the same as pot.
1. Genetics
2. Water/ foods
3. Environment.
Deep rabbit hole for me and 'making water what I want' .
I am a fish head at heart and still visit fish forums to help wannabe breeders learn.

TSD

TSD

I bred and sold German Blue Rams [ GBR] all color varieties and helped create and name Pitch Black Rams [ PBR].
Tropical fish many consider difficult to even keep more or less breed.
I shipped [ live arrival guaranteed] to every state [Alaska in December], Hawaii and even Guam a couple times.
The breeding was all about the same as pot.
1. Genetics
2. Water/ foods
3. Environment.
Deep rabbit hole for me and 'making water what I want' .
I am a fish head at heart and still visit fish forums to help wannabe breeders learn.
That's cool, aquaman is a fish guy too right? I have a couple tanks, just freshwater because I'm too lazy for salt water, though they are more beautiful. One tank is a single huge blue cichlid because all my other fish are chill and cichlids are douchebags lol. Oh Chad the Cichlid, aggressively hunting his flakes and giving me dirty looks through the glass. 🤣

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I can't even eat store bought tomatoes, because as I've said about a billion times, I'm all about the taste, weed, tomatoes, coffee, food at large... if it doesn't tickle my taste buds, I'd rather go without. My own tomatoes or some from a garden stand or none. Regardless of weather or not we can match the basic power of the sun, the ppfd or whatever you scientific growers measure, I still believe it adds something special. We don't understand everything about it. How do we know there's not some wavelength we can't measure or reaction that we haven't even fathomed? It's a great time for science and weed and for them to collide. I hope there's some cutting edge research coming our way. I'm a little obsessed with the new James Webb telescope and all the spectacular stuff it's finding out there that humans literally couldn't even have imagined was in existence a mere few centuries ago. We're going to be able to witness the collision of two super massive black holes in our lifetime, like within the next few years. If you don't think that's cool, we can't be friends. 🤣
Alabama tomatoes are really tasty! I'm lucky as there are lots of farmers markets out my way so I get the stuff that actually ripens on the vine and not in the truck or ship.

I always wondered why sun grown tended to get bigger than indoor. A botanist told me it's not so much because of the amount of light the sun gives off as much as it is the roots having free reign and aren't constricted by pot size. I also always thought that it was because the suns energy is omnidirectional rather than unidirectional like artificial lighting is.

TSD

TSD

Alabama tomatoes are really tasty! I'm lucky as there are lots of farmers markets out my way so I get the stuff that actually ripens on the vine and not in the truck or ship.

I always wondered why sun grown tended to get bigger than indoor. A botanist told me it's not so much because of the amount of light the sun gives off as much as it is the roots having free reign and aren't constricted by pot size. I also always thought that it was because the suns energy is omnidirectional rather than unidirectional like artificial lighting is.
Yeah the size is definitely due to root growth. I buried pots this year to keep mine in check somewhat... but they broke through the fabric anyway of course. I can't explain it with science cause I'm not a scientist. All I know is the taste and smell of well grown outdoor (with good genetics) is hard to beat in my book. We all have our preferences and that just happens to be one of mine. I'm sure the soil plays a big part of those in depth flavors and smells too. I've also heard that plants put out certain terpenes in response to outdoor pests that would (hopefully) not be a factor indoors. I battle them every grow, I've learned to live with them and keep them at bay, but the ladies get chomped on regardless. You're outside, without strong pesticides, there's really no avoiding it. Keeping an infestation from happening is my goal. The grasshoppers and Japanese beetles love the leaves and aren't deterred by much. I control beetles with traps and grasshoppers aren't a big deal as long as it's not a swarm year, I just sho them away. If they're getting out of hand I bust out the BT. If I ever get a proper indoor set up going, I'll be bugging @CannaGranny for some of her knowledge on growing organically indoors. 😊

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter

They're native to Alabama...? ;) .

Yeah, I'm talking with my wife about these kinds of things, she wants to have her gardens of fruits and vegetables, she doesn’t have the knowledge I have, but she knows a certain amount being around me and listening to me. But then I have to temper what I say and teach her because there are some things that don’t translate from growing weed to growing fruits, vegetables, and flowers.....basically I told her to do her research on every plant she wants to grow. Tomatoes are not Strawberries, or Tulips........and growing produce is a different level. It's easy to grow a Tomato or Squash plant. It's another thing to produce ripe, edible fruits and vegetables. Root space is a big thing, very important.

TSD

TSD

They're native to Alabama...? ;) .

Yeah, I'm talking with my wife about these kinds of things, she wants to have her gardens of fruits and vegetables, she doesn’t have the knowledge I have, but she knows a certain amount being around me and listening to me. But then I have to temper what I say and teach her because there are some things that don’t translate from growing weed to growing fruits, vegetables, and flowers.....basically I told her to do her research on every plant she wants to grow. Tomatoes are not Strawberries, or Tulips........and growing produce is a different level. It's easy to grow a Tomato or Squash plant. It's another thing to produce ripe, edible fruits and vegetables. Root space is a big thing, very important.
All I would tell her is do a little research and start small. It's easy to get overwhelmed if you have too many different species with different needs. I'd say flowers are probably easier than veggies, I have probably 40 or more different perennials, some you can just leave to do thier thing, some need food, some hate being too wet, or too dry, or too hot, some are prone to fungus, some you have to spray with something or they will get eaten (damn Lilly beetles... looooathe) My peonies will get botrytis on the buds and not even bloom if I don't spray them as soon as they shoot through the soil. Some need to be pruned back in fall, some prefer spring. Some don't like being touched at all or they can refuse to bloom, like clematis... vines look dead, but they're not. Hydrangeas change color based on soil ph. Beebalm and rudbeckia spread like crazy. Azaleas need mulching or they won't bloom or grow well. My perennial hibiscus makes me think it's a goner every spring because it's the last to pop up, but it always does... yes there is a hibiscus that's perennial in zone 4, crazy. Pick a few perennials every year and build your flower garden, it's less work than annuals in the long run, I save those
for containers. I try to plant things the local pollinators enjoy, who doesn't like getting baked and looking at a beautiful butterfly on a beautiful flower? Plus my son loves "his" butterfly garden.
20220719 111315
20220719 125809

Sorry... another rant 🤣

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
All I would tell her is do a little research and start small. It's easy to get overwhelmed if you have too many different species with different needs. I'd say flowers are probably easier than veggies, I have probably 40 or more different perennials, some you can just leave to do thier thing, some need food, some hate being too wet, or too dry, or too hot, some are prone to fungus, some you have to spray with something or they will get eaten (damn Lilly beetles... looooathe) My peonies will get botrytis on the buds and not even bloom if I don't spray them as soon as they shoot through the soil. Some need to be pruned back in fall, some prefer spring. Some don't like being touched at all or they can refuse to bloom, like clematis... vines look dead, but they're not. Hydrangeas change color based on soil ph. Beebalm and rudbeckia spread like crazy. Azaleas need mulching or they won't bloom or grow well. My perennial hibiscus makes me think it's a goner every spring because it's the last to pop up, but it always does... yes there is a hibiscus that's perennial in zone 4, crazy. Pick a few perennials every year and build your flower garden, it's less work than annuals in the long run, I save those
for containers. I try to plant things the local pollinators enjoy, who doesn't like getting baked and looking at a beautiful butterfly on a beautiful flower? Plus my son loves "his" butterfly garden. View attachment 1317931View attachment 1317932
Sorry... another rant 🤣
No, all good, thank you.....she's already on her way, a bunch of plants, bushes, trees, flowers already on the property of the house we bought. It takes time to plan it, work the soil, strategize, get familiar with the area, what will and won't work. After that, the more knowledge you have about each plant you're growing, the better.....

Reactions: TSD
TSD

TSD

Of course having all these delicious flowers in my yard probably makes my weed growing harder by attracting practically every pest that lives in this climate... but it's worth it... plus my flower beds were already well established when I started growing here. I've considered digging up the peonies because they attract botrytis like crazy in spring and I didn't plant them, they were here... but I can't bring myself to do it lol. Always nice to buy property with established plants... I have a gorgeous bleeding heart that must be well over 20 years old.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Yeah the size is definitely due to root growth. I buried pots this year to keep mine in check somewhat... but they broke through the fabric anyway of course. I can't explain it with science cause I'm not a scientist. All I know is the taste and smell of well grown outdoor (with good genetics) is hard to beat in my book. We all have our preferences and that just happens to be one of mine. I'm sure the soil plays a big part of those in depth flavors and smells too. I've also heard that plants put out certain terpenes in response to outdoor pests that would (hopefully) not be a factor indoors. I battle them every grow, I've learned to live with them and keep them at bay, but the ladies get chomped on regardless. You're outside, without strong pesticides, there's really no avoiding it. Keeping an infestation from happening is my goal. The grasshoppers and Japanese beetles love the leaves and aren't deterred by much. I control beetles with traps and grasshoppers aren't a big deal as long as it's not a swarm year, I just sho them away. If they're getting out of hand I bust out the BT. If I ever get a proper indoor set up going, I'll be bugging @CannaGranny for some of her knowledge on growing organically indoors. 😊
I understand what you mean about outdoor taste. My palate says that outdoor has an earthy, minerally taste in addition to whatever terpene profile the genetics provide vs indoor hydro. I like both but I prefer more flower less dirt taste.

I also agree that one of the reasons outdoor has its distinct flavor is because of a light spectrum that artificial lighting hasn't been able to reproduce or we aren't aware of it yet although you would think with all the money they put into Ag research they would have found all the spectra that affect plant growth and formulated some sort of miracle nute that they'll advertise will blow up that aspect 1,000,000 times over and it'll give you those Cannabis Cup quality flowers!🙄🫤

Reactions: TSD
TSD

TSD

I understand what you mean about outdoor taste. My palate says that outdoor has an earthy, minerally taste in addition to whatever terpene profile the genetics provide vs indoor hydro. I like both but I prefer more flower less dirt taste.

I also agree that one of the reasons outdoor has its distinct flavor is because of a light spectrum that artificial lighting hasn't been able to reproduce or we aren't aware of it yet although you would think with all the money they put into Ag research they would have found all the spectra that affect plant growth and formulated some sort of miracle nute that they'll advertise will blow up that aspect 1,000,000 times over and it'll give you those Cannabis Cup quality flowers!🙄🫤
I don't find it has a dirt taste, but I also wash my buds to get all the dust and pollen off, I do it for my allergies but I do find it makes a smoother tastier end result.

Z

Zill

TSD,
I've grown shitake for both fun and profit. And I've grown that purple bruising strain as well. If you have any seasoned oak logs laying around keep them. If you are interested in cultivating shrooms let me know. I'll send you the procedure. Pretty simple. Actually, very simple. They grow nicely under shaded tree canopies in the northeast. Get logs, inoculate, stack under trees, cover tops and forget. They will fruit in a year and continue fruiting for couple years. Begin collecting restaurant information in your town. They will buy your culinary shrooms.

Zill.

TSD

TSD

TSD,
I've grown shitake for both fun and profit. And I've grown that purple bruising strain as well. If you have any seasoned oak logs laying around keep them. If you are interested in cultivating shrooms let me know. I'll send you the procedure. Pretty simple. Actually, very simple. They grow nicely under shaded tree canopies in the northeast. Get logs, inoculate, stack under trees, cover tops and forget. They will fruit in a year and continue fruiting for couple years. Begin collecting restaurant information in your town. They will buy your culinary shrooms.

Zill.
Cool, thanks! I don't have any oak on my property, oak is getting rare in these parts now thanks to the emerald oak beetles.

Z

Zill

I'll send the procedures. The wood substrate is important as to which shroom you're interested in growing. What tress species is common to your area? I'll search shrooms.

All you do is season, dry the logs, make some dilute saline, salt and water, add the salt solution to a blender along with the shrooms. Blend to a thick shake. Drill holes all along the log and fill the holes with that soup. Seal the holes with melted candle wax and set aside in the woods, shaded by the leaf canopy.

And thanks to the Ash tree borer all 160M ash trees are soon to be history in NY. I lost my huge ash tree to the borer. At least I was able to save the enormous trunk and had it cut into lumber, >500bdft.

Like this
iu

TSD

TSD

I'll send the procedures. The wood substrate is important as to which shroom you're interested in growing. What tress species is common to your area? I'll search shrooms.

All you do is season, dry the logs, make some dilute saline, salt and water, add the salt solution to a blender along with the shrooms. Blend to a thick shake. Drill holes all along the log and fill the holes with that soup. Seal the holes with melted candle wax and set aside in the woods, shaded by the leaf canopy.

And thanks to the Ash tree borer all 160M ash trees are soon to be history in NY. I lost my huge ash tree to the borer. At least I was able to save the enormous trunk and had it cut into lumber, >500bdft.

Like this
iu
Yeah same here, I'm in NY as well. Invasive species suck. I have maple, Black walnut, apple, and various evergreen, which I imagine aren't suitable. My dad has 15 acres so I'm sure I could hunt down some other species as well, I know he has beech, he might actually have an oak left around there somewhere. I'll keep that in mind for if I ever decide to take up the hobby.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter

Like this
iu
Yep. I feel you up here in northern NY too. Things are changing, we're losing certain trees........invasive species don't help...

Zombierider

Zombierider

Just my opinion.. I went the uv route, I just got rid of every one of them and don’t see myself going back.
My organic method suffered with them. They prayed constantly and my take dropped. I did a two year stint with them, so I think they got a fair shake.
In answer to the why women don’t get so involved, I can tell you first hand. Women are more prone to be practical. If it looks good, smells good and has a damn good kick…run with it!
Men by nature are always seeking bigger better faster, I mean admit it, men do stuff to make the lawnmower run faster!
@Moe.Red you did a perfect read on me! When I began teaching classes, one of the first things I learned was the ones that wanted to argue knew the least. If one cannot speak from experience they should remain silent, until such a time that experience can speak. I refuse to argue at all.
My older students fully know when I say “go ahead and do that, come back and tell us how it worked for you” is actually a kiss of death😅. I fully encourage experimentation just not of a detrimental ending.
When I first came to this forum, it was kind of a hard place. I just chose to put my money where my mouth was and show people what I have learned. I tended to be looked over at times simply I felt, because I was female. I still every once in awhile will run into a chest bumper in here and I fully know the prob simply is that I am a woman. I have special tricks for those guys!
Im glad I stayed as there are so many of you men that I have truly enjoyed getting to know.
My advice to any new females coming aboard, cuss well, shoot well, grow gorgeous plants and enjoy the laughter!
Below, typical praying stance under uv even in near perfect conditions.
Good Lord if that dont win the POTF contest I dont know what will! Has been awesome having you along for my weed-growing journey Cannagranny! Cheers to you and your garden!

Top Bottom