Unrooted Clones, under 24hr Light Flowering?!?!

• Thread starter ConceptOfSleep
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

I posted this in my grow diary thread, but figured more people might see it here and be able to give me some input or advice....

Well, I went to transfer my clones from my DIY WalMart cloner (im sure you have all seen it on IC, the little Ice cube tray thing for water bottles). As I was inspecting some of the clones very close I was dumbfounded... several of the clones were showing necrotic spots, and strangely enough, SEVERAL were showing small calyxes and TRICHS?!?!? They were all under 24/0 lighting the ENTIRE time, so I am very very confused.:wondering

This was happening to OGK x DPD A, the lone Blubonic, and my Godberry clone... Now here is where it gets very strange... As I gently pulled the small clones out of there respective spots, I found that Every single one of the clones which was showing signs of early flowering (or autoflowering??) had NO ROOTS I had assumed that these clones were rooting as they were beginning to grow upward and put out some shoots, but apparently these clones were beginning to flower...Under 24 hrs of light, with no roots. Does anyone have any idea how or why this may have happened? I have never seen this before in my 3yrs growing and cloning, and am completely perplexed by this little turn of events.

Now, these plants have been alive a very long time... nearly 4 months, since I havent been able to flower them due to several problems popping up (I had a broken hand and couldnt tend to them, then got infected by mites and have been fighting them off, which is why I took these clones and had to kill the seed plants), so all clones were taken while in vegitative state... Perhaps they started flowering because of their advanced age, but then again, I have had mother plants for 2 yrs that never did this, and know people have kept mothers for much longer than that, so Im totally stumped.

I just find it strange that this would happen to several different strains, and only on the ones which were unrooted...2 OGK x DPD clones and a Shiva clone all rooted succesfully with no signs of flowering.

Anyone experience this before or with any ideas as to what might have happened I would be more than gratefull.

Be Well everyone
:cool

S

spinkus

Very bizarre CoS. The rooted ones arent affected. Only thing I could even think of would be stress related from fighting the mites, then trying to root. Dunno though, just an idea that i'm sure has already crossed your mind.

D

Dagga

In most cases when i have a mature plant is in vegg and it needs a transplant they tend to show sex. if you took a clone from a plant in or close to that stage...it will show in the clones as well.

ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

Thanks for the responses everyone... It is strange and still a mystery to me as well.

In most cases when i have a mature plant is in vegg and it needs a transplant they tend to show sex. if you took a clone from a plant in or close to that stage...it will show in the clones as well.

Thanks very much for the input Dagga! I have experienced that as well with very mature plants showing sex on a transplant, but this was more than just showing sex. There were actually small buds starting, and even trichomes appearing on the leaves and not just the small calyxes so it appeared they were actually doing more than just showing sex... It is really blowing my mind... It is a shame that the one OGKxDPD that didnt root probably will be lost, as almost every leaf was coated in visible trichs, so I may have lost a real winner... I still havent given up hope that one of them may root though.

It seems that this may be an unsolved mystery for me.

:cool

S

Skunkenstein

I've had sweet-tooth#3 from sol for about 3yrs.This plant in the clone form can be very perplexing aswell. I don't know how many cuts she is away from the original seed mom..lets just say, abunch!!The cuttings will exhibit resin on all parts of the plant right away..esecially after taking root in soil.She also exhibits many,many pistils even when in deep veg.under 18/6 or 24 on..it does'nt matter.These plants are in an extremly controlled environment, with no light pollution what-so-ever.Regardless of the anomolies,she does what she does so well...it just does'nt matter.When ya kick her,the results are awe inspiring. Now that being said..I cracked the last Original seeds I had{3} Two were females and one a dud.We're hoping to find out if the ''New'' cutings show the same characteristics? We just call her ''Sweetie'', cuz thats what she is..!!

og dmc

og dmc

I agree, it may be the strain, or stress. I have seen both. Also I have noticed when infested with bugs clones take forever to root.

ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

Thanks for the input guys!

@Skunkenstein: I have read that many have expereinced what I suppose could be called autoflowering with SWT3... especially when rootbound. I had that occur with a SWT3 male that unfortunately got lost in my battle with the mites. Glad to hear that someone else has at least seen something like what I am experiencing... Also happy to hear that she still performs very well for ya!

@OGDMC: Yes, I am figuring it is stress more than the strain simply becuase I had some cuts from different plants of the same strain root and others not... And in that same vein, I had some cuts from all the varieties I had begin to exhibit signs of flowering so it definitely makes me beleive that it is some sort of stress. I just thought it was weird that only the clones which did not root decided to start flowering...

The bugs could have something to do with it as well, although I had managed to eliminate the mites on my cuts... Just a strange all around situation.

Well Im still just happy I managed to save the cuttings I did (especially the OGK x DPD) and look at the whole thing as a learning experience. I had to keep these cuttings in a makeshift area in a spare room, rather than my normal mom/dad/clone area since there were still mites there at the time. The spare room they were in is quite a bit colder and less humid than my normal clone area, so I also think that the colder temps/lower humidity may have inhibited the rooting quite a bit.

Still blows my mind about the pure logistics about how a plant with no roots could still grow in height and put on budlets/trichs without any sort of roots???

Oh well, Ive got a whole new batch of beans germing right now so its on with the show for ol Concept...:rock

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Hang in there man youll get it. You sure deserve it after all the crap youve been through. Good luck on the beans your poppin and hope your clones take root.

J

Jose Hernandez

I had my last batch of cuttings go sour from the stress due to weather changes in my area. It got really cold fast and I couldn't sustain a constant temp or humidity. I had like 10 out of 50 live and a white strain I have always has a hard time veging out properly it always wants to flower:headbang. I am going to take another set now that I have got the conditions under better control.

I totally feel for you. I try to keep a nice stock of mothers in veg so even if the cuttings die you can start over. It's an art, you got to love it:inlove

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Cuts are very hard to do and master. I am still learning after many years and deaths of cuts. It's cool though, life aint always a peach. A great mom is the first major step in getting good clones and having her flushed a little before you cut her is always good for me.

C

captain beefheart

hi. some strains i have kept as mothers have been 2nd or 3rd generation of cuts. these latter generations seem to go into flower mode now and again, despite regular lighting times, no light leaks etc. I presumed it was an age and/or strain-related issue, as i never had it with first round of cuttings.
they do funny things now and again to keep us on our toes.

Top Bottom