Update on stressed seedlings

• Thread starter SparcOne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SparcOne

SparcOne

Hi, I’ve just repotted them very carefully into new pots with a medium of 50% mild out of the bag potting mix 50% perlite and no wood chips. The wood chips were from an Eco lodge my wife works at.

I’m used to growing in dry conditions like South Australia and Northern California but I’ve recently moved to Central America where it’s warm and humid all year round which is proving to be tricky. I’m growing out doors but vegging for the first part inside. To be honest I’ve never had such slow growth and root production, once they get outside they go great but that can take months to get them strong and big enough to handle the outside sun, I’m using bio rhizatonic for root stimulation but not having great results.

Other than repotting them the other issues I have rectified this week which should hopefully help and should have been done from the beginning has been replacing my bulb for the seedlings from a 25w CFL to an extra large 105w CFL, also you mentioned my PH and I finally tracked down a meter this week and my water was really high 7.5 to 8(not good).. I purchased some PH down so I am now feeding at 6.2/6.3.. the PH could be why I was having issues all along, I was told by a nieghbour he’d tested the water at 6.5 so I that’s why I didn’t stress about not having a PH meter. Finding equipment here in the tropics can be tricky and I have a new born so money for my grow is unfortunately strictly limited.

I’ve never seen mold on seedlings either but it did clear up when I treated it. The method of adding a layer of compacted soil was not my first choice it was because the stems needed support to stand straight but I can see now how that may of suffocated the roots but saying that only half of the seedlings had the added soil but all were showing the same signs of stress.

I have a 2000m2 piece of land so I’m working a couple of compost piles, I’m also making my own KNF liquid fertilizers and microorganism solutions which the plants love. This week I’m also building a raised worm bed. All of these things are for applying once the plants are big enough to be transplanted outside.

I’m hoping now with these fixes they start smiling again, it’s 1 Tangie and 4 Strawberry Shortcake seeds so I really don’t want to loose these genetics. This budget gorilla grow is tricky but I’ll get it tuned in even if it kills me 👊🏽
Update on stressed seedlings

Latest posts

Top Bottom