Upping container sizes for yield?

• Thread starter redwhiteblue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Running a facility w/ coco - couple questions.

Current Production: 1.75 #'s per 1000w HPS, all horizontal. Feeding GH 3-part, drip system. "5" harvests per year, maximum weight, strictly OG

Goal: 2#+ per 1000W HPS, appx 100 x 1000W HPS lights horizontal.

Currently running b'cuzz coco in 1 gallon bags with a 3 week veg. Tables, DTW. Feeding and genetics are dialed - will upping the container size from 1 gal to 2/3/5 gal help push through the 2# mark? obviously there would be less plants on the table. Don't want to increase the veg times b/c there's less risk with 5 runs than 4.

SunGrown

SunGrown

I don't grow in coco but I do indoor and I know a few of my strains absolutely put more flower weight out in 3's vs 1's. For instance, my sfv will put out flowers nearly twice the size when the only diff is container size, same with my blackberry and Dog.

I honestly believe it has more to do with width of the pot not the gallon size. I get best results when I just line my tables with window screen then fill with promix hp then plant one foot on center directly in the tables. I also drain to waste usually. But with the tables this way you can also drain to res and irrigate a few times a day.

william76

william76

I don't grow in coco but I do indoor and I know a few of my strains absolutely put more flower weight out in 3's vs 1's. For instance, my sfv will put out flowers nearly twice the size when the only diff is container size, same with my blackberry and Dog.

I honestly believe it has more to do with width of the pot not the gallon size. I get best results when I just line my tables with window screen then fill with promix hp then plant one foot on center directly in the tables. I also drain to waste usually. But with the tables this way you can also drain to res and irrigate a few times a day.
Bigger pots equals bigger root mass equals bigger plants\yields, 76

symbiote420

symbiote420

I have a lot of buds that grow in coco and I've never seen any of em in anything bigger than a 3 gallon pot .....most I've seen are never over 2 gallons!! Plants don't show signs of being or get rootbound like a plant would in the same size pot of peat. Peeps like to equate pot size with yields when actual it's root size for bigger yields ...."more roots, more fruits" not bigger pot bigger yields!

I use Smart Pots because they air prune the roots, my roots look like I dug up an outdoor plant instead of all tangled at the bottom of the pot!

Last edited:
william76

william76

I have a lot of buds that grow in coco and I've never seen any of em in anything bigger than a 3 gallon pot .....most I've seen are never over 2 gallons!! Plants don't show signs of being or get rootbound like a plant would in the same size pot of peat. Peeps like to equate pot size with yields when actual it's root size for bigger yields ...."more roots, more fruits" not bigger pot bigger yields!

I use Smart Pots because they air prune the roots, my roots look like I dug up an outdoor plant instead of all tangled at the bottom of the pot!
But the bigger the pot the bigger the rootmass,and I grow in coco too!i find bigger pots give a bigger yield,76

Tnelz

Tnelz

Current Production: 1.75 #'s per 1000w HPS, all horizontal. Feeding GH 3-part, drip system. "5" harvests per year, maximum weight, strictly OG

Currently running b'cuzz coco in 1 gallon bags with a 3 week veg. Tables, DTW. Feeding and genetics are dialed - will upping the container size from 1 gal to 2/3/5 gal help push through the 2# mark? obviously there would be less plants on the table. Don't want to increase the veg times b/c there's less risk with 5 runs than 4.
Haven't read the entire thread but u can grow large plants in 3 gallon Containers. U can grow XXL plants in 5's and trees in 7.5's.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

My answer yes to a certain point I max out at no more than 50 gals of medium per 1000 no matter how you slice it beds are best

symbiote420

symbiote420

But the bigger the pot the bigger the rootmass,and I grow in coco too!i find bigger pots give a bigger yield,76

That's not always the case! Plus that statement is a little vague, a truer statement would be the bigger the pot the bigger the rootmass can eventually become ....you'll have to veg your plants longer for that to actually be true but just having a bigger pot doesn't ensure a hefty harvest.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Bigger pots are better, I use 15g pots at 4 per light, which works out to 4 50L bags of ready grow. How much soil you use per light? I never had luck with small plants and yields went up as my pots size did. I tried 16 and 9 per 1k and ended up at 4 huge plants. Ive switch over a couple guys to this and there yield went up from only switching to this method. Real easy to get 8oz per plant, possible to get 12oz plants. Bigger plants, bigger root system, bigger buds

symbiote420

symbiote420

At this point I'm 100% organic, no bottled nutes! I topdress and feed teas only and here's what I'm doing with 3 gallon pots!!

'88 G13/HP @ 45 days ......still got 3.5 wks to go and I know she'd yield more in coco

Only reason I put these Mackinaw Trailmix OGs (@ 18 days) in 5 gallon pots is so I don't have to dedicate my summer to playing the waterboy lol

Just pulled an SFV outta there that tipped 5.5oz in a 3 gallon. Matter of fact the more developed buds in the pics are SFVs I flowered at 12" after only a 2 week veg ....they're small (24"+) and @ 45 days now too going 70, I normally give em 2 wks in a 16oz then two more in 3 gallons before 12/12 but I needed the space for those monstrous Macks in the veg tent ....had I done the 4 wk veg well ya'll get the picture!

I'm not saying a bigger pot doesn't provide a bigger harvest just saying a lot of other key things come into play to make that possible like, ...a longer veg ...making sure the roots have spread abundantly inside of the larger pot before you enter bloom ...the plants are healthy ... lots of training ...enough light!!

Tnelz

Tnelz

At this point I'm 100% organic, no bottled nutes! I topdress and feed teas only and here's what I'm doing with 3 gallon pots!!

'88 G13/HP @ 45 days ......still got 3.5 wks to go and I know she'd yield more in coco
View attachment 418432

Only reason I put these Mackinaw Trailmix OGs (@ 18 days) in 5 gallon pots is so I don't have to dedicate my summer to playing the waterboy lol
View attachment 418433
View attachment 418435

Just pulled an SFV outta there that tipped 5.5oz in a 3 gallon. Matter of fact the more developed buds in the pics are SFVs I flowered at 12" after only a 2 week veg ....they're small (24"+) and @ 45 days now too going 70, I normally give em 2 wks in a 16oz then two more in 3 gallons before 12/12 but I needed the space for those monstrous Macks in the veg tent ....had I done the 4 wk veg well ya'll get the picture!

I'm not saying a bigger pot doesn't provide a bigger harvest just saying a lot of other key things come into play to make that possible like, ...a longer veg ...making sure the roots have spread abundantly inside of the larger pot before you enter bloom ...the plants are healthy ... lots of training ...enough light!!
Making Coco users proud bro. Great job @symbiote420! I don't go past three gallons. Smaller operation than urs. Occasionally make the mistake of extra veg time and things get crazy! You can really beast in a 3 gallon pot. Awesome work brother. U truly shined on that grow! Much respect!

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Watering in coco is a constant don't U Believe. ? What's your take on taste soil vs. coco? Thanks guys

symbiote420

symbiote420

I might try coco again it's been about 5 years lol I lost a lot of flavor using it and switched back to peat based mixes, guess I wasn't using it right treating it like soil and all but I have a few bros that seem to have aced growing in it because they have some tasty meds! @Medusa one of my bros got tired of hand watering up to 4x a day lol so he hooked up a rez & some drippers ...if I could get his yields I'd be able to shutdown most of the year!

william76

william76

Put 2 plants in 1 liters for the first 3 weeks transplant 1 into a 3 litre and the other into a 5 litre,veg both for another 3 weeks then flower,the plant in the 5 litre will be bigger and yield more,the same strain obviously,cool thread,76

purpleberry

purpleberry

Yes, same plants same veg ect. in different size pots, The larger pot will get a bigger yield. The plant will use its 2-3 week stretch to grow roots and find out how big it can get. Same thing with the canopy, If your have a lot of plants close together there going to grow straight up and use the space you give them, If you use less and spread them out they will grow wider.

shoestring

shoestring

20 to 30 sour og variety in one gallon growbags of coco in 4x4 or 3x6 tables with 1000 or 1200watts. Top feed drain to waste. That works in my rooms. Best yields hands down for me. I hit no less than an ounce and a quarter per plant. Usually an ounce and a half. 10 to 15 days veg from fully rooted cuttings. Plants are topped once and when flipped are 9 to 11 inches tall. All lowers are pruned and plants look like mini palm trees. Heavy staking/net trellis is needed.Of course running sealed room with optimum and controllable temperature, humidity, and carbon dioxide levels makes hittimg numbers much easier. I can grow grow big big plants in no more than 3 gallons of coco. Usually my seed plants and retired moms are flipped in 2 gallons. Hammering the coco with multiple daily feeds is key and smaller pots help to pack the roots. This is all VERY STRAIN DEPENDENT.

Top Bottom