Using a dryer outlet in garage for a grow

• Thread starter jaimefritos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jaimefritos

jaimefritos

Due to the garage being used for washer/dryer and an extra fridge, there aren't many outlets I can divide my electrical usage from. With that being said, I do have a second dryer outlet that is unused and was hoping to plug in my Ragingkush light (700 Watts), portable Frigidaire Ac (930 Watts), and Big Blue Ozone Generator (21 Watts) to such outlet. I found a Nema 10-50P to 5-20R T-blade receptacle to plug into the dryer outlet, and a 4 outlet bench that has a built in 20 amp breaker to plug into the adapter.

-Will this work out or will I just burn my house down in attempts of growing the sticky?

Pondracer

Pondracer

Just my understanding of electrical code, so take it for what it is. You cannot have more than one outlet off a 220v line. Plugging in a 4 outlet bench would seem to violate that. I am assuming your drier is 220. Oh, thats a US thing too, not sure what happens in Canada :)

N

Newber

Just my understanding of electrical code, so take it for what it is. You cannot have more than one outlet off a 220v line. Plugging in a 4 outlet bench would seem to violate that. I am assuming your drier is 220. Oh, thats a US thing too, not sure what happens in Canada :)
So even a 4 light box controller that is hardwired?

N

Newber

but I guess I meant like piggy backing extension cords are shit mostly

N

Newber

drop some money on an electrician, my union buddy does it on his time off, barter system like the good ol days šŸ˜† Good luck

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Due to the garage being used for washer/dryer and an extra fridge, there aren't many outlets I can divide my electrical usage from. With that being said, I do have a second dryer outlet that is unused and was hoping to plug in my Ragingkush light (700 Watts), portable Frigidaire Ac (930 Watts), and Big Blue Ozone Generator (21 Watts) to such outlet. I found a Nema 10-50P to 5-20R T-blade receptacle to plug into the dryer outlet, and a 4 outlet bench that has a built in 20 amp breaker to plug into the adapter.

-Will this work out or will I just burn my house down in attempts of growing the sticky?
Why not take the ampacity from the dryer circuit and split it into a couple new 15a or whatever the local standard is where you're at?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Replace your 30A outlet with a sub panel. Then run individual outlets off the correct sized breakers.

Since it is 30A 220, you will actually have 60 amps of useable current when wired as standard 120V outlets.

This assumes you are using american standards.

jaimefritos

jaimefritos

So instead of risking it with the adapters I just decided to run an outdoor extension cord from the back patio around the house and into the side door of the garage. Probably the cheapest option at this point... Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it!

Cracken

Cracken

just so you know, an extension cord can not be used as a permanent solution. in the case of a fire, your insurance company would turn their backs. @Moe.Red made the same suggestion I was going to say. if you go to a local grow shop and enquire about electrical help you should find someone who is willing to help out. or even go to a local lowes or Home Depot and ask for directions from an electrician. the wire there will be 12 Gauge running 3 wires 2hot, 1 neutral and a ground. This will be fine for a subpanel that can then supply that area with enough power.

Latest posts

Top Bottom