Using a heated blanket instead of an official plant germination heat mat?

• Thread starter ImpulsiveGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Title says it all I’m newer to indoor growing and soaked my seeds overnight and have planted them in small pots. I used a heating blanket that I folded until it was the size of the germination tray. I set it to medium and also have my therm/hydro on top of my dome and it sizes 75 degrees. I put my hands on the blanket and felt it and it didn’t seem overly hot so I think I’m good. Has anyone ever done this or have any input about it?

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
That's thinking outside of the box. I'd like to see a pic of this set up.
2 by 8ft grow closet. Still going to line the walls with a reflective material. Also going to go with some spider farmer LED. 3 out of the 6 have popped and it’s day 3z purple Ayahawasca purple, LSD, Blue OG. Bought everything I need to make my own scrog set up. Will update this grow. I used to do outdoor guerilla grow like a decade ago so I have some experience growing but it’s been so long and this is my first indoor grow. I’m so excited to finally have the plan coming together and popping my first seeds!!

010AE1DE B525 4A0B B0C3 57AD00BD82CB
F22D8767 68F2 474E BCF5 E560C32B7BC5
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

There was a grower here before that posted they put a cheap heated blanket between 2 thin sheets of waterproof laminate for safety. Sorry can’t remember who it was years ago. Seemed a good solution.

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
Just make sure that the blanket isn't right up against the pots, those blankets will get a lot warmer than germination mats, you don't want to cook your roots either.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Title says it all I’m newer to indoor growing and soaked my seeds overnight and have planted them in small pots. I used a heating blanket that I folded until it was the size of the germination tray. I set it to medium and also have my therm/hydro on top of my dome and it sizes 75 degrees. I put my hands on the blanket and felt it and it didn’t seem overly hot so I think I’m good. Has anyone ever done this or have any input about it?
I use my aquarium as a heating pad. I put my container on top of the lid...just enough heat to help pop my girls in a couple of days.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

I used a smaller heat pad, like a back pain type, a couple of years ago.
Had to put a dividing layer because it got too warm on the lowest setting.
It did work though.
The shite part is it shut off every 2 hours so I had to keep timing it and turning it back on.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I used a smaller heat pad, like a back pain type, a couple of years ago.
Had to put a dividing layer because it got too warm on the lowest setting.
It did work though.
The shite part is it shut off every 2 hours so I had to keep timing it and turning it back on.
Ya I have to do the same every 3 hours

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I would also think of it as a fire hazard, just something to consider
It’s a closed system and I felt the blanket to make sure it’s not to hot. It’s machine washable but I take the tray out to mist. Carefully monitoring tho

quirk

quirk

2 by 8ft grow closet. Still going to line the walls with a reflective material. Also going to go with some spider farmer LED. 3 out of the 6 have popped and it’s day 3z purple Ayahawasca purple, LSD, Blue OG. Bought everything I need to make my own scrog set up. Will update this grow. I used to do outdoor guerilla grow like a decade ago so I have some experience growing but it’s been so long and this is my first indoor grow. I’m so excited to finally have the plan coming together and popping my first seeds!!

Looks great. Reflectix insulation works well on the walls. I'll be watching for the updates. Good growing to you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom