Using A Power Bank To Charge Arizer Solo

• Thread starter Cola Candy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cola Candy

Cola Candy

Hi guys, I have a power bank shown in the photo which is rated at 5V 2A output, with 10400mAh capacity and I was wondering if I could use this to charge my Arizer Solo when on the move? I know the voltage is lower than you would normally want but won't it still charge the battery, albeit more slowly? Or should I make a little device that uses a stepping up voltage regulator?

Power bank

ken dog

ken dog

It will absolutely work... Do a test run at home first, because it would be good to know how long it will last, and how many charges you can get out of it.

yooper420

yooper420

Curmudgeonlander
Supporter
I have both the home and the car charger for use with my Solo. Both do the job.

Cola Candy

Cola Candy

Thanks both of you.

Yooper, when you say home charger are you referring to a wall wart i.e. the charger that comes with the Solo?

ken dog

ken dog

It is important to note that the battery is a lithium ion battery... Which means you must use the dedicated charger that comes with the Solo.
It doesn't matter what powerpak you use, as long as you use the dedicated charger that comes with the solo.

ken dog

ken dog

Did I mention that you must use the dedicated charger that comes with the Solo?;)

Cola Candy

Cola Candy

I don't quite understand. When you say you should always use the dedicated charger, wouldn't the solo be charging from the mains electricity, thereby making the power bank unnecessary?

It is a lithium ion battery but I just use standard phone chargers at 5V to charge it via USB.

ken dog

ken dog

My misunderstanding... I thought it was a power source that you can plug your charger into, not a power source with a dedicated charger.

Not sure if I would want to charge a 1 Cell lithium ion battery at 5 volts for very long... Unless those are designed for a 1 Cell lithium ion battery... As the Charger needs to detect when the cell is full, and the cell is full at 4.1 volts.

I suspect they are for a 2-cell battery... Just a heads up in case.

Top Bottom