Using a top-off rez correctly to adjust ppm's

• Thread starter smokey_waters
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

smokey_waters

Hi,
I'm at 250 ppm (.5 EC conversion) at week 1 for a 16 double barrel XL system (8 gal. modules- 100 gallons in the system). I'd like to get up to 275-300 for week 2. I have a 55 gallon top-off rez. Here's my question. At this point, are they drinking a small enough amount where it doesn't make sense to add nutes to 55 or even, say 30 gallons, in a top-off rez, and instead I should just add nutes to like 5 gallons at a time and add directly to epicenter?

Let's say I put 300ppm's in my 55 gallon top-off rez for week 2 and by week 3, they had hardly drunk any. Could I re-add all my nutes to the 300ppm 55 gallon top-off rez and increase it to, say 350ppm?? Is this how people use the top-off rez to control ppm's???

Thx,

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I used to run my top off with nutes, now I just fill top off with ro and let the ec drop till I do an add back to my UC using a 5gallon bucket, water and enough nutes to bump my UC where I want it. I only top off with a&b and do a nute change every week after week 2 in veg. I do keep my ro water in top off at a lower ph to slow my swing a bit...

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

^^^ I do much the same I run my top off res with tap water and Ph adjust to 5.5 that's all. I use to mix res and run RO but was tossing out to much food.

Greeneye04

Greeneye04

I tried running my top off with nutrients as well... Was also throwing away to much food .. I then started running ro and phing to control swing... Now I'm running tap at 70 ppm and that seems to really help stabilize ph as well as add back cal and trace minerals through out the week. If your gonna run nutrients I was told by cc they recommend running the next weeks solution in your top off

Growboy

Growboy

why did you end up throwing so much nutrients away when doing a top off res with nutrients

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Plants food requirements change and when you change out the res you change out the top off also, wasted food. My girls demand different streingths of food just about every 2 weeks so if they don't drink it all you toss it. Water works fine and if your ppm drops just top load. (add to your epicenter)

Latest posts

Top Bottom