using diatomaceous earth for gnats

• Thread starter biggerbud420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
biggerbud420

biggerbud420

how long does it take for diatomaceous earth and yellow sticky pads to get rid of gnats ? also do i have to reapply the diatomaceous earth after every watering should i also spray neem oil on the top layer of soil ?

Using diatomaceous earth for gnats
TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

DE only works when dry, it's useless after it has become wet once. Get some gnatrol or beneficial nematodes and they will go away.

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

if you have enough time between waterings to truly dry out the soil nice and light then gnats would not survive.
[/QU
last time was 4 days between watering and they were wilting and im was only giving them like a 12 oz cup full

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

then try the microbe lift. And keep using sticky cards for the fliers. Its a specific bacteria that kills mosquito and gnat larvae. Harmless to us and plants.

quirk

quirk

Natural Guard Spinosad soap in the quart spray bottle. Takes care of the adults and the eggs and larvae in the soil when used as a drench.
That's a solution, As @MIMedGrower stated, you have a growing environment that is attractive for pests. Make sure pots can drain, elevate containers, provide enough air circulation to discourage flying insects and improve plant transpiration, avoid watering too often.
Moist not wet and lose the domes. You want a greenhouse not a steam room.

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

i ordered gnatrol because it would get here sooner

BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

Natural Guard Spinosad soap in the quart spray bottle. Takes care of the adults and the eggs and larvae in the soil when used as a drench.
That's a solution, As @MIMedGrower stated, you have a growing environment that is attractive for pests. Make sure pots can drain, elevate containers, provide enough air circulation to discourage flying insects and improve plant transpiration, avoid watering too often.
Moist not wet and lose the domes. You want a greenhouse not a steam room.
i ordered gnatrol because it would get here sooner
Have updates on the results? Did ya try DE? Hpws the soap? Im seeing what may be thrips and just the morning i seen a red gnat.

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

Have updates on the results? Did ya try DE? Hpws the soap? Im seeing what may be thrips and just the morning i seen a red gnat.
yea i tried them both de and the other stuff didnt seem to help me so i got some pot poppers and that did the trick

BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

Can i ask how those poppers worked for the bugs on plant leaves? I can dig why they work in soil but how would these assist for the ones on leaves?

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

Can i ask how those poppers worked for the bugs on plant leaves? I can dig why they work in soil but how would these assist for the ones on leaves?
i didnt have any bugs on my plant leaves i only had gnats the poppers work by killing the larvae of the bugs

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

if you have not already i would start a post about your problem

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Your topsoil must be dry, you can wad up tp and dust fans, do not dust flower, leave for 72 hours give light flush check pH and you should be good, sometimes those gnats come in the mix, when I start a run I de earth my soil before sowing this stops trouble before it starts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom