Using Dip'N'Grow aka IBA and NAA to bring water PH down?

• Thread starter sp838
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sp838

sp838

I have a seed that has sprouted using the soaking method, in a solution of hydrogen peroxide with a little Dip'N'Grow in it. The Dip'N'Grow is pretty strong acid, was wondering if I could use it to ph the water I'll be using to soak the soil. I need to ph it anyway right? My tap water is ~7.4, I use Foop ph down otherwise.... Would there be any reason not to use the DNG?

sp838

sp838

I never pH the water before soaking seeds.

I didn't before but read some interesting threads about ph'ing soak water that showed it helped a bit to be in the 6.5 - 6 range.

Anyway, th seed is soaked and popped with a nice little white tail going, and ready to plant today. I am going to plant it directly in a 3 gallon fabric pot filled with Pro-Mix HP with mycos.

I am going to saturate the medium before planting – again is there any reason -not- to ph down my tap water (7.4) using liquid rooting hormones? Seems to make sense to me, but not at all sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Today is planting day and a strong part of me says GO FOR IT....

sp838

sp838

The idea was to use it in the first watering when planting the sprout. IBA helps with root development. So I figured since I need to ph down my water anyway, why not use an acid that also happens to help grow roots. And this wouldn't be for every watering, just this first one.

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Plant hormones can have all kinds of side unintended side effects. I wouldn’t do it unless it’s an experiment just to see what happens. And that’s a really expensive way to adjust ph. If anything you could foliar feed with a phed and very diluted dip and grow solution. It will be absorbed by the leaves and travel to the roots like the plants natural rooting hormones. Never tried it but don’t see why it wouldn’t work and it’s not going to affect the plant for weeks. Just my 2 cents

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Just read a study in the use of iba and naa in vegging plants. It showed the treated plants were about 20% shorter, had 25% less nodes and 20% shorter branches after 20 days of treatment. Sounds counter productive to me.

sp838

sp838

Do you have the link? I would love to read it too. I've read articles about how good it is at the earliest stages when establishing roots, Ed Rosenthal recommends using it in the early sprout phases, and other growers I've consulted have recommended it as well... 🤷‍♂️

Anyway thank you for the words of caution. Was not planning on using it regularly, just at the very start to help with the spouting / seedling rooting process. Would love to see that study if you get a chance 🙏

sp838

sp838

Thanks for sharing this, it's very interesting! Not really sure that it applies to what I was thinking about though, they were treating the plants continuously with the PGRs at higher concentrations. Also the dipngrow doesn't use the same blend, it uses IBA (indole 3 butyric acid), not BAA (6-benzylaminopurine).

The conclusions they came to also were that yes, it alters the size of the plants, which could be a good thing for indoor growing where more compact plants might be required. The effects seemed to differ depending on the genetics tested. One of them responded very well with the others inconclusive, or negatively impacted:

The use of NAA led to a more compact plant architecture with a consistently high inflorescence yield for the genotype KANADA; cannabidiol (CBD) content was not affected. A beneficial effect on the autoflowering genotype (FED) could not be confirmed. Genotypes 0.2x-genetic and FED showed reduced inflorescence yield due to PGR application.

Anyway thanks again for the replies.

Top Bottom