Using dryer outlet

• Thread starter bulkybud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bulkybud

Lately I've contemplated using my 30 amp 240 volt dryer outlet to run several lights. Since I only want to use the lights on a 12/12 schedule I was wondering if there was a way to still plug my dryer for use during the dark period.

I've seen several 30 amp boxes that either convert plugs to 120V or preserve 240V or a combo of both. But I have yet to see a product that gives you the option to use a 3-prong dyer plug while using several other outlets (120V or 240V) from the same circuit. Does such a product exist?
Can anybody help me?:doh

purpleberry

purpleberry

If you want to run 240 and 120v from the dryer plug it needs to have 4 prongs or wires running to it. 2 hots 1 common and 1 ground. That why they only make a plug and play light controler with 240v i think.
Just run a 4 light controler that plugs in to the dryer plug and run everything else off other circuts. If you need to run the dryer and you unplug the light controler just dont forget to plug it back in. and the timer will be fine it plugs into a seperate 120v circut.
If you own the house Id have some hook up a sub panel.

B

bulkybud

Thanks purpleberry. I think I may just have a subpanel installed to avoid constantly having to plug and unplug the light controller.

W

Weekend Farmer

If you have extra spot or can create extra spots in your breaker panel you could put a new run in. Would be the safest way to have a dedicated 240 for your lights. I do electrical work for a living and if you have any electrical experience it's not really difficult. If not I would advise having a knowledgeable person do it for you.

Any way you look at it, I would be careful playing with electricity. It tickles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom