Using FoxFarm for hydroponic setup

• Thread starter Jeremey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jeremey

Jeremey

Would love to hear some feed from anyone who has used FoxFarm lineup in a hydroelectric system. I’ve been wrestling with deficiencies. Especially when raising PPMs. My ladies are in week 4, and I’m still just south of 1000 PPMs. That’s about half strength. I’ve added in CalMag, which seems like a must for every Rez change. I thought I had it balanced. Went to 1200 PPMs, and got yellowing in the main veins of leaves. I just added some magnesium, and diluted back down to 900 PPMs. Keeping PH between 5.5-6.0. Feeling a little on edge, and would really appreciate some good information on this subject. Thanks in advance

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have never used it but from what I can tell it contains a fair bit of organics. This is not ideal for most hydro systems as the bacteria required to break them down are often absent. And can lead to bacterial blooms of undesirable bacteria and other issues.

I personally would not use this line up for hydro. GH 3 part is far better suited imo.

I use mega crop and it also contains some organics but I run a live system and have a good population of denitrifying bacteria.

If I were using this product I would only be running the grow big.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Have some pics of the plants and roots as well as grow equipment and parameters?

Maybe something else is causing your issue

Jeremey

Jeremey

I was Hopi f to limp through this one, but I
Have some pics of the plants and roots as well as grow equipment and parameters?

Maybe something else is causing your iIll take a few pics. It’s definitely the nutrients. I had same issue in veg. Fixed it by adding calmag. That one had more of an iron deficiency to the eye. I added a little of that too. Everything was just fine at lower PPM. If I switched to the GH, which I happen to have...could I still use the bloom nutes?

Jeremey

Jeremey

My bad bro, can’t even see what I’m typing on this phone app. It’s definitely nutrients. I had previous issue during veg. Added calmag and iron to fix. First 3 weeks of flower where fine until I raised PPM. I’ll go take a few pics. I do have GH3 on hand, but could I use the FoxFarm Bloom enhancers with it?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My bad bro, can’t even see what I’m typing on this phone app. It’s definitely nutrients. I had previous issue during veg. Added calmag and iron to fix. First 3 weeks of flower where fine until I raised PPM. I’ll go take a few pics. I do have GH3 on hand, but could I use the FoxFarm Bloom enhancers with it?
The bloom nutrients have to little nitrogen and higher pk. Imo don't use them. Nute companies tend to cut way to much N in flower. Stick with the grow big and just adjust the feed strength. Cannabis contrary to what you have probably read and been told does not require the drastic change in nutrients between veg and bloom.

Jeremey

Jeremey

The bloom nutrients have to little nitrogen and higher pk. Imo don't use them. Nute companies tend to cut way to much N in flower. Stick with the grow big and just adjust the feed strength. Cannabis contrary to what you have probably read and been told does not require the drastic change in nutrients between veg and bloom.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You need the set up pics too?
You under HPS it looks like. Can you take a pic of the roots in natural light?

I can see the cal issues but that may just be from previous issues.

What are your temps and humidity day and night?
Set up pics would help

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I just started battling with temps. It got cold out here! Low is 64, High is 80, 40% humidity
Root are looking good as far as I can see. Hard to tell in that light. Humidity could be up a bit like 55%-60% at this stage but if you are getting high temps swing you need to be careful after light out that it does shoot way up and can cause PM.

So that explains what looks like some issues with low humidity.

Low humidity will increase water uptake because of the vapor pressure deficit. This will in turn increase nutrient uptake which is why I see some nute burn.

You need to keep the ppm down a bit more. Try about 600ppm of only grow big on top of your cal mag. I am assuming you are using RO water. So add cal mag to increase ppm to 150ppm then add grow big to increase by 600ppm so a total of 750ppm.

Jeremey

Jeremey

Are you running sterile or live system?

Man I’m just figuring out this app, and multitasking. It’s a live system, got Hydroguard in there. I do have 2 quarts of each 3 part flora. It came with the bucket system. If I did what you suggested above, wouldn’t I also need the other Big Bloom for base?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Man I’m just figuring out this app, and multitasking. It’s a live system, got Hydroguard in there. I do have 2 quarts of each 3 part flora. It came with the bucket system. If I did what you suggested above, wouldn’t I also need the other Big Bloom for base?
I think it contains the micros like I say I'm not all that familiar with this line. But it's also a lot of organics. Good stuff on the hydrogaurd. Let me look closer at the exact contents of each.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I could also just roll with the GH, if you think that’s the best way. My question would be; is the 3 part all I need? Hydroguard added?
Yeah the 3 part is all that's needed and yes run hydrogaurd.

It appears that you would need both of the fox farms. I really don't like the design of these nutes for hydro. I'm sure in soil they are absolutely great. But to me it looks like all they did was change the grow bigs nitrate source from organic to salt based. They had to do this because as I was saying we lack the microbes to break down organics. But they left the other 2 the same and organics and hydro just don't mix well.

If it were me and I had the nutes I would make the switch. You will probably see a quick improvement.

Jeremey

Jeremey

Yeah the 3 part is all that's needed and yes run hydrogaurd.

It appears that you would need both of the fox farms. I really don't like the design of these nutes for hydro. I'm sure in soil they are absolutely great. But to me it looks like all they did was change the grow bigs nitrate source from organic to salt based. They had to do this because as I was saying we lack the microbes to break down organics. But they left the other 2 the same and organics and hydro just don't mix well.

If it were me and I had the nutes I would make the switch. You will probably see a quick improvement.

I’m going to make the switch. Draining Rez now. Going to flush, then mix up the GH. Just to make sure; the 3 part is all I need? Rest is just marketing?? And I’m assuming that I should stay with the Hydroguard?

Top Bottom