Using Grove Bags - how dry?

• Thread starter phxazcraig
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I've got two half-pound Grove bags, and I've never used them before.

I have lots of issues drying here in Arizona, because my drying conditions are about 79F and 35%RH right now. I hang buds for drying and in 2 days they are almost done. In 3 days they can be crisp and potato chips.

So I'm trying Grove bags, but I'm scared I'll get mold because they aren't dry enough.

How dry is dry enough to put buds in a Grove bag? If I open a bag after 12 hours, and the buds now feel moist where before they were dry, is that too wet, or perhaps about right?

I can put hygrometers in the bags, but what should the initial day or so be like, if you open a bag and feel the buds?

In the past I've used mason jars, aggressively burping any time the RH is over 62.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

I usually just use a boveda pack and a hydrometer in a mason jar. I try to keep RH between 55-65%.

IIRC the magic number for flower is supposed to be like 58-60%. If RH is getting too high, like over 70%, I'll dump the buds out on a sift screen and just air dry them for a little longer.

If you're having a hard time keeping your drying environment under control you can try drying in your grow tent. Means you won't be able to grow for 2 weeks, but at least you know the humidity, temp and light conditions are right.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I thought about using the tent, but I'm doing a staggered harvest. The buds are in the bags, but the plants are still budding and light still on.

One bag is at 64%, and I'm just burping it a bit to be safe. The other jumped to 70, and I'm leaving the bag open for a few hours. Might put those buds into paper bags for a bit.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

That is tough.

To help get your humidity up you can try the wet towel method. It's a bit harder to control how much humidity it puts off, but you can learn to dial it in. It should also help keep the temps down with evaporating water.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

That is tough.

To help get your humidity up you can try the wet towel method. It's a bit harder to control how much humidity it puts off, but you can learn to dial it in. It should also help keep the temps down with evaporating water.
I hear you, but where? I don't have a room, or even a closet, where I can truly control humidity. As soon as the air conditioning comes on, the humidity is blown out. Basically at this time I'm just doing a 3-day dry, and sort of an extended dry-in-jar/bag technique. I dry things quickly, but try to catch the buds when they still have some inner moisture. By putting them in jars (or bags) when they still have some moisture, the RH in the jar goes to 70%, but only overnight. I then either open the jar or burp it and get the RH down again. Mostly it's a fight against mold starting, and it does work, but it's labor intensive.

My rule of thumb here: If the buds are so moist they stick to each other, it's too moist to be in a jar or bag and needs to be actively dried more. I pull such buds, separate them and put them in paper bags or just leave them out for a few hours. When not moist-limp to the touch, they are close to going back in the bag or jar. When looking at RH meters, the buds are usually safe around 62-65%, if not already stuck together.

I'm very much going to pursue some sort of DIY drying chamber based on a wine refrigerator and a fan with RH / temp controller. I'm actually very surprised that such a device isn't on the market for home growers like me.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Commercial and home options. A little pricey....
Yes, I saw the insanely-priced stuff. What I'm thinking of would start with a $100 wine cooler, and add in a fan, sensor, controller and possibly humidifier/dehumidifier. But in Arizona, it would seem that if I had a wine cooler running at 60F, simply blowing a small amount of air through when RH exceeds 65% would work fine. Put in a small fan for internal airflow and done?

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
Yes, I saw the insanely-priced stuff. What I'm thinking of would start with a $100 wine cooler, and add in a fan, sensor, controller and possibly humidifier/dehumidifier. But in Arizona, it would seem that if I had a wine cooler running at 60F, simply blowing a small amount of air through when RH exceeds 65% would work fine. Put in a small fan for internal airflow and done?
I’d think that would work. I know I saw someone here or on another forum do something very similar.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

You might try the refrigerator drying method…..I can’t link you to it but it’s pretty widely published and with good results. It allows you to go straight from the chop into the fridge……although it seems to take several weeks.
Boy you’d think some big brain would invent an affordable controlled drying/curing container…..I know I’d be eager to try…..and I have pretty good conditions in my cellar.
I’ll try to find something for u on the refrigerator method.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I have lots of issues drying here in Arizona, because my drying conditions are about 79F and 35%RH right now. I hang buds for drying and in 2 days they are almost done. In 3 days they can be crisp and potato chips.

So I'm trying Grove bags, but I'm scared I'll get mold because they aren't dry enough.

How dry is dry enough to put buds in a Grove bag? If I open a bag after 12 hours, and the buds now feel moist where before they were dry, is that too wet, or perhaps about right?

I can put hygrometers in the bags, but what should the initial day or so be like, if you open a bag and feel the buds?

In the past I've used mason jars, aggressively burping any time the RH is over 62.
If you want to take a lot of the guess work out about when to stick in the grove bags to cure…….Go to lowes or similar type store and buy a wood moisture meter. When bud reads 10 - 12% you can stick it in the bags. Meter will run about $40.

D

Dugplug

Get yourself some boveda bags 62 percent

11Hick11

11Hick11

I'm in AZ too and I dry in a tent. I have the house at 70 lol, freeze my ass off, and I put ice blocks in there and zip up the tent most the way with a fan blowing at the small opening towards the bottom. I get about 67 ish with 50 ish RH most the time and that works good. I get about 7 to 9 days hanging and then into the Grove bags. Buds turn out nice and smell good.

Also, I water about 3 to 4 hours before the chop and they hold more water so that helps out quite a bit so they don't dry to fast.
20220427 143143

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
If you want to take a lot of the guess work out about when to stick in the grove bags to cure…….Go to lowes or similar type store and buy a wood moisture meter. When bud reads 10 - 12% you can stick it in the bags. Meter will run about $40.
Damn I never thought that would work for buds lol I have one of those I check my wood for my wood stove with to make sure it’s dry enough to not create excess creosote buildup in my flues lol I think I paid about $25-$30 on Amazon for mine

TSD

TSD

There's a guy on here that made one, do a search maybe? 70 is a little high, but if you keep rotating and keep the bag open for a bit, I don't think it should mold because the bags are permeable and you'rein a super dry climate. Could always lay it out on a screen for an hour too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom