Using Perfect PH from Advanced Nutrients. My ph is 7.7

• Thread starter chuey316
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just a quick update. I've been running a mix of tap and ro until I finish off the jugs I have. Overall the plants are much greener, but I'm still having leaves getting spotted and discolored every day or two. I've be cutting them when I find them. Some of it's on older growth, and some on newer growth as well. There was a a couple times that I wasn't able to get my frozen bottles switched out, and the roots were starting to look a little brownish, so I decided to ditch the hydroguard, and go with a dead res for more peace of mind. The leaf issue has not changed after switching though.
Ph perfect.. add nothing else. No cal mag

chuey316

chuey316

Using GH Flora micro/grow/bloom. No other additives other than chlorine to keep everything sterile. My ph stays steady at 6.4 - 6.5. Whenever I try to get it lower, it just raises right back up within hours.

Leaves keep popping up like this one. I'll remove them all, and within a day or two, they'll be more. This is the same leaf, just different lighting.
20190814 213940
20190814 213917

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Using GH Flora micro/grow/bloom. No other additives other than chlorine to keep everything sterile. My ph stays steady at 6.4 - 6.5. Whenever I try to get it lower, it just raises right back up within hours.

Leaves keep popping up like this one. I'll remove them all, and within a day or two, they'll be more. This is the same leaf, just different lighting.
View attachment 888129View attachment 888130
My bad title fucked me up. What ph down are you using?
RO water?
Sorry so many posts lately.

chuey316

chuey316

I use a diluted sulphuric acid. I've used it on my past grows with good results, although that was always in soil.

I started with RO. Now I'm using mostly tap with 4-6gal of RO. Leaf issues have been consistent throughout.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I use a diluted sulphuric acid. I've used it on my past grows with good results, although that was always in soil.

I started with RO. Now I'm using mostly tap with 4-6gal of RO. Leaf issues have been consistent throughout.
Have pics of the whole plant? You will likely need half dose of cal mag. What is the feed ppm meaning over and above the tap RO mix

Also root pics

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The ph is your problem. So we just need to figure that out. Are you adding chlorine? That can raise ph

chuey316

chuey316

Just tested, and it's sitting at 430ppm, but that's with PH down, and chlorine added. My water settles in at 207, so I'd assume my feed ppm is between 200 and 225.

I've got my phone charging right now. I'll get pics up shortly.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just tested, and it's sitting at 430ppm, but that's with PH down, and chlorine added. My water settles in at 207, so I'd assume my feed ppm is between 200 and 225.

I've got my phone charging right now. I'll get pics up shortly.
I would mix tap and RO to achieve 100ppm for base.

Need to see the plants to get an idea of what ppm feed you should be at.

Are you adding chlorine? If so how much and how often? To much is hard on plants and be deadly to them.

chuey316

chuey316

Yes, I'm adding chlorine. I used 30ml for roughly 40gal. Waited 3 days for it to gas off and re-dosed with 35ml tonight. Plan was to give it 2-3 days, then start a adding lower amounts every 2-3 days as it dissipates to maintain a low steady amount. Not sure how much to use. I've read that .5ml per gallon is a good amount, but that seem excessive. I was thinking more like .5ml per 10 gallons, but maybe that's not enough. Definitely don't want to over do it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes, I'm adding chlorine. I used 30ml for roughly 40gal. Waited 3 days for it to gas off and re-dosed with 35ml tonight. Plan was to give it 2-3 days, then start a adding lower amounts every 2-3 days as it dissipates to maintain a low steady amount. Not sure how much to use. I've read that .5ml per gallon is a good amount, but that seem excessive. I was thinking more like .5ml per 10 gallons, but maybe that's not enough. Definitely don't want to over do it.
No idea I run live bit that might be part of the problem. Maybe someone else has experience with it. You need to find a way to get your ph down or you going to continue having problems. I know chlorine can raise ph but I'm not sure if that's the reason. Sulfuric acid should buffer it quite well.

You could try adding some ph up and then ph down to see if it gives you a more stable ph... I know it's not recommended but if you have a low carbonate hardness then that can be the issue

chuey316

chuey316

Definitely, although even some of the new growth starts to look bad every day or two. I'm cutting around 3-5 leaves every couple days. I ph'd down to 6.0 last night after the fresh dose of chlorine, and checked again a few minutes ago. I was expecting it to be back at 6.4-6.5, but it only rose to 6.1 overnight. Maybe there was some bacteria that didn't die of with the 1st dose, and was affecting the ph. From what I've been reading, my doses are on the low side, so maybe that's possible, but there's so much conflicting advice about how much to use, so I'd rather be safe and see how the plants take it.

chuey316

chuey316

I gave another small dose oh ph down when I checked the ph earlier. Should get me right in that range.

chuey316

chuey316

I'll have to check in the morning to see if it sticks, but my dose earlier put the ph right at 5.8

chuey316

chuey316

One thing I've noticed is that the stems on all the unhealthy looking leaves are purple, and even on a few good looking leaves, just not as much.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

One thing I've noticed is that the stems on all the unhealthy looking leaves are purple, and even on a few good looking leaves, just not as much.
Could be due to your high ph. Cooler night time temps can also do this. But most often it's just genetics.

chuey316

chuey316

Just checked the ph. The drift wasn't as bad. It was 5.8 last night, and 6.1 this morning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom