using plantmatter as organic fertilizer.

• Thread starter mannitu68
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mannitu68

hello guys,
for my 2nd grow i switched to completly organic with Biobizz, also using their soil and am very happy. Im in 4th week flower, not a single sign of any deficiency so far, everything was much less work than my first grow with mineral fertilizer.

Now i thought what im gonna do with the soil after harvest, all that good bacteria and plantmatter, why waste it? I would like to keep the soil, with all the roots in it, also throw in all the tiny buds that are too small for anything else. What better nutrients could there be than roots and flowers, its the building material they are made of? So i want to throw the tiny flowers in there, mix everything up nicely, let it sit for a couple of weeks and then mix it into the new soil. This is highly concentrated so i suppose i dont need much. maybe 25% of this cocktail and 75% new soil? Not in the seedling pot, but after repotting after 2 or 3 weeks?

How do i have to store the soil, at what temp and how wet should it be? Anything wrong with that approach?

beluga

beluga

what you'd be looking to do is compost
plants won't receive any constituents of that plant matter in the soil until it's been broken down into an available form.

keep in mind roots take quite a while to compost, even in a very robust pile.

2Bad

2Bad

what you'd be looking to do is compost
plants won't receive any constituents of that plant matter in the soil until it's been broken down into an available form.

keep in mind roots take quite a while to compost, even in a very robust pile.
Are you saying he has to compost his soil or just the buds? Because I don't think that's the case he should definetly reuse the soil for his next grow.

@mannitu68 don't waste your small buds they are just as good as the big ones

beluga

beluga

Are you saying he has to compost his soil or just the buds? Because I don't think that's the case he should definetly reuse the soil for his next grow.

@mannitu68 don't waste your small buds they are just as good as the big ones
I'm saying if they wish to put plant matter in their soil for a benefit, the plant matter will need to be composted before it can be made useful.
Reusing the soil is just fine so long as you can assure the health of it.

M

mannitu68

im talking of the really, really small buds. Most of people cut the away anyway in flower time. The ones in the lower half of the plant. However, how long will it take to be broken down? The roots and the tiny buds? Its getting colder now, i guess i should keep the soil in the house where its warm?
Its actually good if it takes time to break down...so they can release everything slowly over time, over the whole next grow.

So please tell me what should be the state in terms of water content for storage? And how much new soil should i mix in it? I mean when i pot the new plants in it?

Homesteader

Homesteader

I do this all the time. Kicked bowls work too. Pluck leaves in my indoor plants and let the worms bring it down. Tillage radish outdoors grows huge and either becomes my rabbit food or freezes and tills but works well in soil bags to loosen . It kind of depends on the plant you are using on how quickly it will break down and how much short term N you can get from it. Some plants break down very quick like comfry and horseradish and will supply Nitrogen fertilizer short term but overall you will need to let microbes and worms do their work to break down everything. N fertilizer as it breaks down also release ammonia so I wouldn't do much indoors. If you are companion planting, then I would look at dill, raddish and maybe kale or broc

Last edited:
2Bad

2Bad

im talking of the really, really small buds. Most of people cut the away anyway in flower time. The ones in the lower half of the plant. However, how long will it take to be broken down? The roots and the tiny buds? Its getting colder now, i guess i should keep the soil in the house where its warm?
Its actually good if it takes time to break down...so they can release everything slowly over time, over the whole next grow.

So please tell me what should be the state in terms of water content for storage? And how much new soil should i mix in it? I mean when i pot the new plants in it?
Do you not grind your weed? it's just a waste you won't get any return from it im juss saying.

Homesteader

Homesteader

The return outside of the N can be saved energy the plant can put towards the flowers that matter. Any bud that is not hitting light is going to be significantly less potent so why not get rid of it?

M

mannitu68

could you make hash using a mixer/grinder? I have one i used to make my own fruit-shakes...if you put small flowers in it and sugar leaves, you should get powder. But because resin is heavier than dry plantmaterial, it should sink to the bottom, when you shake it a little bit. Is that gonna work? Seems much better to me then using the water method or rubbing it endlessly over a mesh.

beluga

beluga

You wouldn't really be getting hash, as you need something to separate the resin from the rest of the plant matter.

Those separating somethings are usually temperature, agitation, and solvent, or some combination thereof.

2Bad

2Bad

could you make hash using a mixer/grinder? I have one i used to make my own fruit-shakes...if you put small flowers in it and sugar leaves, you should get powder. But because resin is heavier than dry plantmaterial, it should sink to the bottom, when you shake it a little bit. Is that gonna work? Seems much better to me then using the water method or rubbing it endlessly over a mesh.
You could look into bubble hash/ice hash.. Ice water extraction I want to do it soon I got everything waiting on me at home.

M

mannitu68

You wouldn't really be getting hash, as you need something to separate the resin from the rest of the plant matter.

Those separating somethings are usually temperature, agitation, and solvent, or some combination thereof.
like i said above, resin is heavier than plant matter. So if you have the powder in a flat bowl and lay that on a washing machine for instance, or vibrate it somehow, the resin should land deep down and the light plant matter on top...thats my theory at least.

beluga

beluga

like i said above, resin is heavier than plant matter. So if you have the powder in a flat bowl and lay that on a washing machine for instance, or vibrate it somehow, the resin should land deep down and the light plant matter on top...thats my theory at least.
So that would be agitation, and in order to effectively separate by agitation, you need sieves/mesh/screens - it isn't the weight that separates them, it's their particle size.
When frozen and suspended in water, that's when the weight comes into play and it's actually opposite to the way you're thinking - because the plant matter is higher in water content, it freezes and floats to the top and the resins drop below.

Latest posts

Top Bottom