Using RO water sources and Iron deficiency.

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Been fine tuning some nutrients independently of late, and like to master some of these techniques, so I can adjust feedings how I see fit. I've got some good source of iron medium with the red iron iii oxide. Yes, I know iron is a trace element, so it's probably got enough source from many of the other sources, but I still like the ideas of having a bit more control.

Plus, sometimes I make Thermite for starting camp fires, so I like having a small supply of it. (and things like elemental magnesium, or raw sulfur, even trace amounts of copper, and zinc) I've been putting those in the mix for awhile now. (a penny in each pot).

Anyone got any experience using nutrients like these and know where I should start as a baseline? Looks like the pH is around 6-7 in solution, so might be a nice amendment to occasional boost/reinforce the buffer to some extent. I just started out with a tiny bit in a gallon (1/32 tsp) and putting about a cup or two into each plant base for starters.

Using ro water sources and iron deficiency
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

small dose cal mag does it.. iron is only needed in tiny tiny quantities. Most cal mag contain plenty.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
small dose cal mag does it.. iron is only needed in tiny tiny quantities. Most cal mag contain plenty.

Yea, I've stopped using the cal mag actually, I've still got it. But I've been using mostly the Calcium Nitrate, CaCo3, and/or the Dolomite lime, which the last one does have trace amounts. I'm thinking this is one of those things that only needs to be done very infrequently, in trace amounts, especially if the medium is being recycled over and over again.

I'm thinking a fair amount of leaching of the iron is occurring over time, especially if I'm doing lots of flushes. But many rock sources contain iron, so it's got to be in there, to some degree or another. Probably overkill.

I used like .2 gram in 1 gallon of water, for more than a dozen plants. That shouldn't be too bad, I don't think. Trying it on the little guys first, since their soaking up more iron than the the more mature plants.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yea, I've stopped using the cal mag actually, I've still got it. But I've been using mostly the Calcium Nitrate, CaCo3, and/or the Dolomite lime, which the last one does have trace amounts. I'm thinking this is one of those things that only needs to be done very infrequently, in trace amounts, especially if the medium is being recycled over and over again.

I'm thinking a fair amount of leaching of the iron is occurring over time, especially if I'm doing lots of flushes. But many rock sources contain iron, so it's got to be in there, to some degree or another. Probably overkill.

I used like .2 gram in 1 gallon of water, for more than a dozen plants. That shouldn't be too bad, I don't think. Trying it on the little guys first, since their soaking up more iron than the the more mature plants.
Tbh I have never seen an Iron deficiency thats not related to an uptake issue like PH. Be interesting to see how they respond. 4 ppm rings a bell but could be less than that.

Top Bottom