Using Silica - what's the real scoop? Contradictory info everywhere

• Thread starter phxazcraig
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smokey0418

Smokey0418

I would use gro-tek silic .

Drop some on the cement floor. Dried like clear glue.

Good for building stamina.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Just to add to the discussion, the Potassium Silicate, when brought into aqueous solution, will dissociate partially into mono-silicic acid and thus be phyto-available.

SiO2 is at its highest oxidation states, and therefore very stable. It takes 1000s of years to corrode it, or extremely strong acids like hydrofluoric.

Glassdub

Glassdub

Agreed unless like in my case I use potassium silicate as a ph buffer and the both are beneficial to the plants. Some ofIy is transform and not silicon dioxide that is the form in which plants absorb it.

silicon dioxide cannot be used as a buffer and is ph neutralish, which is beneficial if not looking for a buffer
I find Pro-Tekt ups pH a % part of the reason I like using it.

AirHammer

AirHammer

I bought a 1qt bottle of concentrated silica liquid it mixes about a cap per 4 MIL, the stuff lasts a long time, thru 4 seasons at least. silica plants are happy plants believe you me. I will upload some currents tomorrow. the final images were taken around last week. it looks like happiness also comes in triplets.
Peace.

IMG 20220723 WA0004
Smokey0418

Smokey0418

I find Pro-Tekt ups pH a % part of the reason I like using it.
80% ph down has major issues trying to bring gro-silic down .
I guess at 40 plus percent the molasses need thining.
I find in 40 gallons 3ml works great at raising my ph.3.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

After reading about the benefits of silica I just bought a quart of Stout MSA (highly recommended by grow shop guy as good and affordable) and started using it three days ago, specifically to stiffen stems and aid in drought tolerance. Plants definitely need both benefits. Reading that it helps fight PM is icing on the cake. I’m watering about 8 gallons per day during heat wave so I hope my quart bottle will last. Might need a second.

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

After reading about the benefits of silica I just bought a quart of Stout MSA (highly recommended by grow shop guy as good and affordable) and started using it three days ago, specifically to stiffen stems and aid in drought tolerance. Plants definitely need both benefits. Reading that it helps fight PM is icing on the cake. I’m watering about 8 gallons per day during heat wave so I hope my quart bottle will last. Might need a second.
Might get three weeks out of it almost four, that’s at 40 ml per day.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Thanks for doing the math. I’m hoping the drought doesn’t last that long but I think I’ll definitely need another quart.

AirHammer

AirHammer

I dose weekly

botanicare proGro
cal-max
generic concentrated silica
weekly

bi-weekly
steeped composted worm castings plus black strap molasses

at about week 3 I include some bat guano/ casting tea, yea week 3 and 6 depending how things are progressing.

today.
I'm procrastinating today's feed. ok ok but its hot af out there :/

I like how lush vegging plants looks, so green and lush. this skunk1xkush tends to look a bit wiry until it starts filling in with budlets, its blooming is far more impressive than vegging =) and I remember them stinking to the road, peeyoo

20220730 124254
20220730 124154
20220730 124205
BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

If you are tired of spending $20/litre on Silica; my friends, this is what you truly seek:

• Agsil 16H is a simple and inexpensive alternative to water-based Silica products – now you can make your own for pennies on the gallon.
  • Recipe for 7.8% Solution (compare to Pro-Tekt, Rhino Skin, Silica Blast):
    780 : 1
    148g : 1 Litre
    560g : 1 Gallon

Mix 148 grams AgSil 16H into 1 liter water or 560 grams per gallon. Store in bottle or jar and shake well before use. (1 lb = 454 g). Use this 7.8% solution at 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon per gallon water.
  • ***MIXING INSTRUCTIONS***
    ***When preparing concentrated stock solutions it is recommended to only use very pure distilled or deionized water. Prior to diluting the potassium silicate, raise the pH of the water to above 11.3 pH with potassium hydroxide. Starting with half the final solution volume of distilled water with pH >11.3, add the required potassium silicate, stir until completely dissolved. Now top off to the final volume with more distilled water with pH >11.3. Keep covered, do not aerate.***

Screenshot 2022 09 28 151508

Untitled

ninjadip

ninjadip

I just found this really good scientific article on various plants and their uptake of silica.
While it doesn't mention cannabis specifically, it is still a very good article with over 20 links to other silica related studies.

Abstract of the study: The accumulation of silicon (Si) in the shoots varies considerably among plant species, but the mechanism responsible for this variation is poorly understood. The uptake system of Si was investigated in terms of the radial transport from the external solution to the root cortical cells and the release of Si from the cortical cells to the xylem in rice, cucumber, and tomato...

Top Bottom