Using Silica - what's the real scoop? Contradictory info everywhere

• Thread starter phxazcraig
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

twojoints

Cool, I was referring to the white paper. He is in there as Approved by, not done by, that's it, no biggie. I read the paper already so I'm good on the video. I believe I've seen this one already, talks about darkness before harvest and other controversial growers habits. Thanks tho.
Really good stuff.
the only thing wrong with that is that it doesn't tell you what happens when you spray it on your plant then dry it and smoke it

https://www.pqcorp.com › pq-corporation › kasil

PDF

Prolonged or repeated inhalation of crystalline silica causes lung diseases including silicosis, emphysema, obstructive airway disease and lung cancer.

ninjadip

ninjadip

the only thing wrong with that is that it doesn't tell you what happens when you spray it on your plant then dry it and smoke it

https://www.pqcorp.com › pq-corporation › kasil

PDF

Prolonged or repeated inhalation of crystalline silica causes lung diseases including silicosis, emphysema, obstructive airway disease and lung cancer.

i really didn't want to come on here to this... why did you reply to me twice with the same dumb message?
i think almost everyone on here was talking about using this in the root system.

i saw all of your posts, chill out with that shit

effexxess

effexxess

"Foliar applications can be used, but the Si does not become incorporated in the plant tissue.
Rather a film is created on the surface of the cuticle layer for pest management. Studies
have supported the mentioned findings and have suggested that root-available Si is
the most effective mechanism for Si accumulation, while foliar sprays are effective
for biotic stress, but do not have much of an effect on growth or yield." page 12.

Approaches to Supplementing Silicon in Soilless Media and the
Value of Silicon in the Mitigation of Drought Stress
Mackenzie Grace Dey, Utah State University

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Yes, it's bad to spray buds with potassium silicate for the exact reason twojoints stated.

However, it's not bad to use it in the roots. The plant does not uptake silicate. It uptakes silica that was converted to MSA.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

whats MSA

Mono-silicic acid. This is the form of silicon the plant can uptake immediately.

Microbes convert silicon in the soil or silicate that you add to the soil to MSA. A relatively small amount of MSA gets naturally converted when the right microbes are present.

MSA can be bought in a bottle and fed for immediate uptake.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Mono-silicic acid. This is the form of silicon the plant can uptake immediately.
thanks bro đź‘Š
but for supersoil you still recommend agsil16 to work fine yeah?
edit: i currently add about 5percent sand to my soil recipe to add silica, but how can you tell if theres enough in there right so im thinking to supplement

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

If your plant's branches are thick and sturdy, it got enough MSA.
yeah ive only ever been in my soil mixes, the branches are strong enough that they are resisting me crushing them with my thumb and index even though im applying a decent amount of pressure

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

i wish the info on youtube and most sites used chemical compositions when talking about topics for example silica. would have figured this out long ago, they are dumbing information down

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

i wish the info on youtube and most sites used chemical compositions when talking about topics for example silica. would have figured this out long ago, they are dumbing information down

Yes, there is a lot of misinformation everywhere. Especially on YouTube.

I could be misinforming everyone here. But I'm not. What I said can be verified.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
"Foliar applications can be used, but the Si does not become incorporated in the plant tissue.
Rather a film is created on the surface of the cuticle layer for pest management. Studies
have supported the mentioned findings and have suggested that root-available Si is
the most effective mechanism for Si accumulation, while foliar sprays are effective
for biotic stress, but do not have much of an effect on growth or yield." page 12.

Approaches to Supplementing Silicon in Soilless Media and the
Value of Silicon in the Mitigation of Drought Stress
Mackenzie Grace Dey, Utah State University
Thanks for the study đź‘Ť

Just want to explain the microbial processes to turn silica (which is mostly grains of sand in the soil) takes hundreds of years. However, in professional products Si is finely powdered to dust and thus, has a way high water-solubility (which is basically all that needed for plants to uptake it). So even Diatomacious Earth can contribute to Si if mixed in with a substrate.

Also wanna throw in what's written in "J. Benton Jones, Jr. How to Make Soil Fertility Plant Nutrition Principles Work":

"Silicon (Si): An element believed to be beneficial to plants, particularly small grains
(mainly rice – for stem strength), and for other plants providing some degree
of fungal disease resistance. The available form of silicon (Si) is the diva-
lent silicate (SiO 3 2- ) anion
(see Chapter 13 and page 199)."

"13.4.2 Silicon (Si)
Plants that are soil-grown can contain substantial quantities of Si, equal in concen-
tration (% levels in the dry matter) to that of some of the major essential elements
(see Chapter 11, “Major Essential Plant Elements”). Most of the Si absorbed [plants
can readily absorb silicic acid (H 4 SiO 4 )] is deposited in the plants as amorphous
silica, SiO 2 •nH 2 O, or as opals. Epstein (1994) has identified six roles of Si in plants,
both physiological and morphological. Reviewing 151 past nutrient solution formu-
lations, Hewitt (1966) found that only a few included the element Si. Epstein (1994)
recommends that Si as sodium silicate (Na 2 SiO 3 ) be included in a Hoagland nutri-
ent solution formulation at 0.25 mM (see page 199). Morgan (2000) reported that in
hydroponic trials, yield improvements for lettuce and bean crops occurred when the
Si content in the nutrient solution was at 140 ppm. Recent studies with greenhouse-
grown tomato and cucumber have shown that without adequate Si, plants are less
vigorous and unusually susceptible to fungus disease attack (Belanger et al., 1995).
Best growth was obtained when the nutrient solution contained 100 mg/L (ppm)
silicic acid (H 4 SiO 4 ). Other common reagent forms of Si added to a nutrient solution
are either Na or K silicates, as both are water-soluble compounds, while silicic acid
(H 4 SiO 4 ) is only partially water soluble.
Silicon has been found to be required to maintain stalk strength in rice (Takahashi
and Miyake, 1977), and other small grains (Takahashi et al., 1990). In the absence
of adequate Si, these grain plants will not grow upright, tending to lodge, and result-
ing in significant grain loss. The problem of lodging has been observed primarily in
paddy rice, where soil conditions may affect Si availability and uptake.
There may be confusion about this element as frequently the element silicon (Si)
is improperly referred to as silica, SiO 2 , which is an insoluble compound."

Latest posts

Top Bottom