Using Sulfur To Kill Powdery Mildew - Warning!

• Thread starter RoeBuck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RoeBuck

RoeBuck

A while back I had issues in my grow room with powdery mildew. After the grow was over I decided to kill off any remaining mold spores by burning sulfur, which is the most effective way I know to kill the spores. Everything went well and I proceeded with my next grow. A few weeks later, one of my Kind XL1000 LED grow lights started to fail, followed shortly after with a second one failing. I sent them back to Kind for warranty repair and they informed me that the lights had been exposed to excessive humidity which had corroded the internals of the lights. I called bs on that, knowing that my room never exceeded 65% rh, well within their specs. While Kind did repair the lights at no cost, they voided the warranty on further claims. Sure enough, shortly after getting both lights back they failed again. I racked my brain trying to figure out what happened and realized the only thing I did different was burning the sulfur. So I did some research and found that sulfur will corrode copper and silver. What are all the diodes soldered with? Silver solder. The sulfur was the cause of the corrosion and the failure of the lights. So if you run into a similar mildew situation and decide to burn sulfur, remove anything from your grow room that contains copper or silver solder. After the burn, vent the room well before returning your electronics to the room. Save yourself the $6k plus it cost me to replace the failed lights.

ethcan

ethcan

Good to know. I spray sulfur regularly but will definitely kill fans and be careful to not get it anywhere near any electrical... this is a huge bummer because sulfur is such an effective control for mites and PM.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Its why when we burn any sulfur we remove every fixture and do a complet top to bottom wash down with di water post treatment. Yes sulfur exposed to water will make sulfuric acid!!! So yes indeed , great post for all the growers that didn’t know this.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Go with milk next go around for smaller spaces . Works better and less stuff to do
Beneficial fungi is another way, like actinovate. For future grows

Top Bottom