Using the dirt from under a rotten log as a grow medium. Some questions.

• Thread starter Flint_Fredstone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Flint_Fredstone

Flint_Fredstone

Using soil from underneath a rotten log as a grow medium has worked very well each time it was used. Nothing more than a little Nitrogen, water, and sun was about all was required to sustain a person's needs. This was in the 80's. Nobody checked the PH of anything around here back then. After 30+ years went by, and deciding to play around with a couple of seeds of unknown origin or strain (probably bagseed), something has popped up. If you do a quick search of "purple disease of new growth".. well that is currently the biggest problem. There may be some Nitrogen Deficiency and heat stress as well. Along with all of this there may be some Aluminum contamination going on as well (don't ask me how Aluminum could end up in a grow medium, long story but it would be localized to only a couple plants). Now with all the Purple Disease going around, I must add that I think it looks a lot like a Boron problem. It currently is only seen on a couple plants but seem to be spreading. If I understand correctly, if your PH is off then it will cause lockout and even if there is Nutes in the the grow medium, the plant won't be able to uptake it. What has changed in 30+ years that a person could be missing with these plants?

My questions is this: First off what is this Purple Disease? Secondly, what would a generic PH be of this soil that is found deep in the forest under a rotten log, as I hear that it should be near neutral. Third, what would happen if someone didn't really use the soil underneath this log but instead just crumbled up the rotten log itself as the grow medium? The rotten wood is a deep reddish brown color, the soil has a red tinge but is mostly dark black and loose.

Threw in a little Bloom Fert and will see if it helps. No idea the PH of the soil but if Bloom Fert burns them, then maybe some PH down would be in order correct?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Using soil from underneath a rotten log as a grow medium has worked very well each time it was used. Nothing more than a little Nitrogen, water, and sun was about all was required to sustain a person's needs. This was in the 80's. Nobody checked the PH of anything around here back then. After 30+ years went by, and deciding to play around with a couple of seeds of unknown origin or strain (probably bagseed), something has popped up. If you do a quick search of "purple disease of new growth".. well that is currently the biggest problem. There may be some Nitrogen Deficiency and heat stress as well. Along with all of this there may be some Aluminum contamination going on as well (don't ask me how Aluminum could end up in a grow medium, long story but it would be localized to only a couple plants). Now with all the Purple Disease going around, I must add that I think it looks a lot like a Boron problem. It currently is only seen on a couple plants but seem to be spreading. If I understand correctly, if your PH is off then it will cause lockout and even if there is Nutes in the the grow medium, the plant won't be able to uptake it. What has changed in 30+ years that a person could be missing with these plants?

My questions is this: First off what is this Purple Disease? Secondly, what would a generic PH be of this soil that is found deep in the forest under a rotten log, as I hear that it should be near neutral. Third, what would happen if someone didn't really use the soil underneath this log but instead just crumbled up the rotten log itself as the grow medium? The rotten wood is a deep reddish brown color, the soil has a red tinge but is mostly dark black and loose.

Threw in a little Bloom Fert and will see if it helps. No idea the PH of the soil but if Bloom Fert burns them, then maybe some PH down would be in order correct?
that is humus mate,mix you some that leaf litter from the forest floor and some compost all together ,all you need ,that humus has so much life in it all by itself,then you add the compost for it to decompose and all the goodness happens.
i have no idea what your talking about with the disease,throw up a pic,blackness can be also caused from lack of phosphrus,several thing it could be,picture worth a thousand words

Flint_Fredstone

Flint_Fredstone

Here is what it looks like.....

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Holy shnikes that is not healthy in anyway by the looks of it, Mold or fungus is my guess, root issues?

that shit ain't right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom