Utilizing Male Hormones To Increase THC Production And Prevent Hermaphroditism

• Thread starter ritoMox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

ritoMox

I don't think I would do a sugar extraction/fermentation from the male flower,you would proubly still get active pollen in your solution.is a cold pressed extraction water soluble?
I never tried it, but when I do I will definitely update👍

R

ritoMox

The increase in THC is total bro-science but that cold press hormone thing..."might" ...have a basis in reality. Ethylene speeds up flowering and a flowering male has lots of ethylene.
To reverse plants they spray something that stops ethylene production, forcing hermie.
I never tried it, but based on some old-school knowledge passed on to me in the early 80's, it does make sense to me as far as stimulating the female into increasing THC production. I held onto the info all these years because it made sense to me. I went on hiatus from the green scene for many years due to the war on weed and because of my fear of getting a bag that might have been sprayed with that stuff they were using to kill the crops. I got to thinking about that way back in the 80's when bags of cow shit were being circulated with little pieces of bud in it. The story being told to everyone buying that shit was that it wasn't cow shit, but rather it was weed that had been confiscated in a big bust and was doused with diesel full and set on fire. The story goes that someone found the burn site and dug through it and found a shit-load that hadn't been burned. Total BS story. This was in southern New Mexico where all we ever got was dirt weed anyway, so most people ate that shit up. They were too stupid to see that they were smoking cow shit! Now that the war is winding down, I decided to get back into the scene. I'm learning a lot from this forum. For example, I had no idea that true skunk has gone extinct. Crazy!✌️

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

This is basically the old theory that having only females will cause them to hermi? I don’t think it’s true. Love to be proved wrong though.

R

ritoMox

This is basically the old theory that having only females will cause them to hermi? I don’t think it’s true. Love to be proved wrong though.
That's not how I read it. I think it's more of a manipulation tactic to prevent females from turning Hermi in those situations where they are stressed. Old-school grows where you intentionally stress your ladies in order to make them pump out the THC by, for example, chopping the roots shortly before harvest. Just my 2¢👍

Blastfact

Blastfact

I saw this thread and had a belly laugh. I remember when this info was flying around in like 1980 and interest in it would come and go like wave sets on a beach up to about 1985. I never saw proof one way or the other. And lets be honest here,,, even if there was real science involved back then. I would see a bunch of grower/stoners pressing and extracting on male plants and getting nowhere at all. Many approached it like a meth cook of the early 2000's. I don't think there was in my circles/info groups/networks any real chance of success concerning the theory. They just didn't have the brain power, work ethic or discipline to properly follow through. It was a very wild time from 1978 to 1988 in the grow world. And at that time I did not have the time to mess with the theory. I was working my oil leases and my grows, racing my motorcycles and cars and dealing with a wife that was manic, bipolar and multiple personality's. Also got ratted out and busted for a grow during that time. My gut tells me there is some real science and truth in the theory. But the real cost of development and implantation will be more than the outcome is worth or it would be a mainstay already in the grow sphere. As for herm reverse tech like Moe posted a link on. I've had a few plants herm in outdoor grows and only one plant maybe two herm indoor. The outdoor grows I believe where glancing blows of pollination from a confused bee, dragon fly or maybe a humming bird or stress from a bad drought cycle and was never a complete plant. Just one stalk or bud set. As for the indoor plants,,, lord only knows, genetics, stress cycle from heat/humidity. But I've never had any faith in light leaks and all the crap. My take on light leaks and all that BS dissolved early on in my grow life with family/friends growing outdoor in Alaska and never having herm problems in there short grow seasons.

R

ritoMox

So I finally found the guide that I read all those years ago. While reading through the AGSeedCO site "about" page, they reference The Cultivators Handbook of Marijuana,1969, by Bill Drake. The age of the grow guide (1st edition) was inline with what I remember reading back in the early 80's, so I did a search. I found it online and I'm almost certain that that was the guide my friend loaned me for a few days back then. I found the table of contents and low and behold there is nothing about the tech that I reference in my op. Again, I'm almost positive that that was the guide that I read, although my recollection is that it was only about 50 pages versus the 100 pages of the actual guide. What I recall (somewhat) now is that the notes that I took back then (which I've long since lost/misplaced), were actually notes that were IN the guide, not part of the guide. Were they my friends notes? Who knows. This was a good 3 decades ago, so I guess I can chalk it all up to my old brain. Nevertheless, my quest for the origins and validity of this info will remain ongoing, as old-school tech is my passion✌️

Last edited:
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

During the early 80's a friend loaned me his now long lost grow guide, about a 50 page pamphlet. I read through it for a couple of days and gave it back to him. I can't remember the name of the guide, but it had a small section on using an extract made from male plants. The purpose of the extract was supposed to be to stimulate the females into increasing their THC production and to also prevent the females from ever turning Hermi. I never got around to trying the tech due to the war on our beloved green back in those days. I'm just now getting back into growing and I wanted to get some input on this tech to find out if it would be worth the effort. Here's a rough quote from memory of the tech from that pamphlet grow guide:

Has anyone ever heard of this tech? The grow guide is long gone and I didn't bother writing the name down with the notes on this tech. I remember that the guide also had a small section on Polyploidy tech. There is tons of info to be found on Polyploidy tech, but I can't find anything on this male hormone tech. If anyone has any info please share.
There is really know way to force THC production,I would argue THC production is purely genetic,it stands to reason a healthy plant will give you the most resin to protect itself against consumption to protect the fruit,claims of increased potency under stress would need an involved and documented experiment with many clones and different types of stress and combinations of it. Providing what the plant requires should lead to higher potency. The male hormone thing is interesting but ,one does not know if the plant would have turned hermie without application,again that would need an involved clone experiment or it's speculation.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So I finally found the guide that I read all those years ago. While reading through the AGSeedCO site "about" page, they reference The Cultivators Handbook of Marijuana,1969, by Bill Drake. The age of the grow guide (1st edition) was inline with what I remember reading back in the early 80's, so I did a search. I found it online and I'm almost certain that that was the guide my friend loaned me for a few days back then. I found the table of contents and low and behold there is nothing about the tech that I reference in my op. Again, I'm almost positive that that was the guide that I read, although my recollection is that it was only about 50 pages versus the 100 pages of the actual guide. What I recall (somewhat) now is that the notes that I took back then (which I've long since lost/misplaced), were actually notes that were IN the guide, not part of the guide. Were they my friends notes? Who knows. This was a good 3 decades ago, so I guess I can chalk it all up to my old brain. Nevertheless, my quest for the origins and validity of this info will remain ongoing, as old-school tech is my passion✌️
Did you actually find a link to the pamphlet? Post it up I’ll read it.

R

ritoMox

Holy crap $95.

I’ll try to read this when I get to a bigger screen
Sorry for the big pictures. I'll reduce the size before posting anymore pics on the site. The last one is actually $124. Different priced ones on ebay. Some for much lower. I guess it's a collectors item with a lot of out dated info now. Still, nostalgic👍

R

ritoMox

Greetings, Amazing community
I recently found an article about turning male cannabis plants into female's: Is it possible to make a male cannabis plant female? The procedure for turning a male to female, or at least turning a male hermi, is to expose the male to ethylene. It's my understanding that ethylene is also given off by rotting fruits. For example, when one orange starts going bad it causes the other oranges next to it to go bad due to the ethylene produced by the first bad orange. Further down the article it is asked: "Would this method have the same results if it was performed on a female cannabis plant?"
The answer given is "Yes, it is much easier to trick a female into believing that it is a male than it is to do the opposite. Though there is no real reason that anyone would need to perform this experiment, if you were to use gibberellins which are male marijuana plant hormones instead of ethylene on females, the plants would almost certainly immediately begin to display male-like characteristics"[Highlight added].

The reason for my post is the latter highlighted sentence about male hormones.
Reading this seems to be saying that exposing a female to male hormones can cause a female to turn hermi. Am I reading this wrong? If not, then that would certainly contradict my op where exposing females to male hormones prevents a female from turning hermi. This also suggests to me that a male plant being in the presence of females will cause those females to turn hermi. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've had females turn hermi without the presence of male plants, but I have no experience with male plants in the presence of females turning the females hermi. Perhaps this phenomena of male hormones causing a female to turn hermi is the result of a concentrated dose of male hormones that a female would not ordinarily get by merely being in the presence of a male plant(?). Still, if concentrated male hormones can cause a female to turn hermi, then that would contradict my op where concentrated male hormones prevents hermi's, and thus make it even more of a mystery as to how that information came to be. Perhaps gibberellins (the male homones listed above) are just one of many male hormones and all of the male hormones together prevent hermi's? Interesting!✌️

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
there's no such thing as "female" and "Male" hormones....they are not like humans that use Testosterone and Estrogen and an endocrine system.
i need to put a stop to that being used.

R

ritoMox

there's no such thing as "female" and "Male" hormones....they are not like humans that use Testosterone and Estrogen and an endocrine system.
i need to put a stop to that being used.
Do you have any info that you could share on these "gibberellins" that they are referencing? Thank you for the help👍
Edit: Tons of info on gibberellins. I'll study up👍 Gibberellin

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
Honestly plant biology is so vast and complex a Rube Goldberg contraption that i could spend days here talking about plant hormone system.
Those guys are likely playing with Gibberilic Acid
there are 5 plant hormones, but that's just the start of the downward spiral

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

This is a scholarly article on marijuana hermaphroditism with some crazy pictures of male nanners. I've had nanners growing on buds before but in those photos they look like a swarm of yellow worms coming out of the buds. They cover some of the old, known reasons for hermies such as environmental stresses. But I've now made the decision to stop growing feminized seeds because of them. I've had not just hermie traits through the years but other bizarre genetic variations and defects in plants. Seedlings that want to grow in a coil under the surface and not break the medium. Then rot. (Purple Kush). Seedling with bizarre, distorted leaves and stunted growth (Bruce Banner #3). And a long list of strains over the many years that insist on popping balls and bananas despite my best effort. I'm getting too old to put up with this shit any more. I think breeders have fouled the gene pool and many seed sellers are selling product that will produce hermaphrodites. Feminized seeds are infamous for this.

I believe hermaphroditism is completely genetic in origin and should be able to be bred out of cannabis completely if somebody makes a serious effort. After all, hermaphroditism had to have come from one mutated plant in one species many millions of years ago. And 6% of plant species that descended inherited the trait. That means the basis of the problem is genetic. Not conditional. Conditions just bring out the trait. The trait is almost certainly the reason we now have so many potent cultivars. Legendary strains of cannabis owe their origin to a hermaphrodite.

Hermies are part of cannabis history and are not going away any time soon. I'm just sick of picking seeds out of my pot. I'm shopping for seeds again and it will be regular seeds. I'm going to pick solid, stable strains and try to find elite females to clone off. No hermies in my present project, knock wood. Because these are clones from stable females.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

This is a scholarly article on marijuana hermaphroditism with some crazy pictures of male nanners. I've had nanners growing on buds before but in those photos they look like a swarm of yellow worms coming out of the buds. They cover some of the old, known reasons for hermies such as environmental stresses. But I've now made the decision to stop growing feminized seeds because of them. I've had not just hermie traits through the years but other bizarre genetic variations and defects in plants. Seedlings that want to grow in a coil under the surface and not break the medium. Then rot. (Purple Kush). Seedling with bizarre, distorted leaves and stunted growth (Bruce Banner #3). And a long list of strains over the many years that insist on popping balls and bananas despite my best effort. I'm getting too old to put up with this shit any more. I think breeders have fouled the gene pool and many seed sellers are selling product that will produce hermaphrodites. Feminized seeds are infamous for this.

I believe hermaphroditism is completely genetic in origin and should be able to be bred out of cannabis completely if somebody makes a serious effort. After all, hermaphroditism had to have come from one mutated plant in one species many millions of years ago. And 6% of plant species that descended inherited the trait. That means the basis of the problem is genetic. Not conditional. Conditions just bring out the trait. The trait is almost certainly the reason we now have so many potent cultivars. Legendary strains of cannabis owe their origin to a hermaphrodite.

Hermies are part of cannabis history and are not going away any time soon. I'm just sick of picking seeds out of my pot. I'm shopping for seeds again and it will be regular seeds. I'm going to pick solid, stable strains and try to find elite females to clone off. No hermies in my present project, knock wood. Because these are clones from stable females.
Bless Coast seeds. Grow there Sour Samurai for me. My girlfriend won’t let me buy anymore beans right now. I need to live vicariously through you. He did a recent episode with The Growcast podcast talking about how he makes selections and what not. Dude actually breeds his work. I think the samurai is at f3

Top Bottom