UV-C Light

• Thread starter Dr.Green.Thumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jalisco Kid

It's a preventative measure. As most molds of this type start from the inside of the bud it would be hard to spray. JK

EatPizza

EatPizza

Anyone know if it's better to run your cleanlight over your plants, during light or dark cycle?

Thsnks!

P

poodlepam

Ive been doing a lot of research on how uv-c kills pm. I know if you do it for small amounts each day for about a week it should take care of it. But i just dont know how many watts the uv-c lamp wold need to be to work. If anyone has any input that has exeriance with this subject it would help a lot. I have a 4x8 grow tent.
Hello! Did you ever get an answer to this question? I have powdery mildew and I just purchased a UVC bulb and I am going to put it on a timer in my grow room, so that I won't be exposed to it. Do you know how long I should run it? Can the plants be in the room and should the light be off? Thanks for any info!

P

poodlepam

Ive been doing a lot of research on how uv-c kills pm. I know if you do it for small amounts each day for about a week it should take care of it. But i just dont know how many watts the uv-c lamp wold need to be to work. If anyone has any input that has exeriance with this subject it would help a lot. I have a 4x8 grow tent.
Hello! Do you have any new information on UV-C light and powdery mildew?

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Howdy,

UV-C is not for use outside of interlocked enclosures. Never use a UV-C source in a tent or outside any enclosure specifically designed to contain the emitted UV-C radiation. Yes - UV-C has uses for sterilization - but it will also cause retinal burns very quickly even with low watt rated devices. UV-C is too energetic a wavelength to even consider using outside engineered environments - it really can hurt humans and other living things ....

Now perhaps there is use for UV-B for this purpose - also dangerous for burns on skin and eyes, but not as wicked as UV-C.

You can learn a lot about this part of the spectrum - some uses and most importantly - the safety precautions from these folks:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm

In closing, Say NO to UV-C. Don't be a YouTube statistic.

1750meters

1750meters

Well if the shit is so dangerous why do I see one in the deli department of the grocery store.

VANESSA

VANESSA

Uvc is a light spectrum... Not a toxin. It is not toxic to plants.

However, it destroys and mutates DNA on long term exposures.

Germicidal uvc bulbs for horticulture are nothing new, infact cleanlight.nl make a hobby uvc light for use on fungus etc on house plants, weed.

This is not a gimmick, it works. Has been used in the commercial industry for years.

Floweryfields of Austria use uvc in their daily plant maintanace.

But do not ever get your skin exposed to uvc or your retinas / eyes. Small exposure will cause serious sun burn type effects and long term exposures will almost certainly be a trigger for certain cancers.

IMO, some of the anti thrip/ mite stuff that we spray or smoke unknowingly is much more dangerous to us than if we use uvc correctly. And the cleanlight comes complete with uvc filter goggles and gloves.

UVB has no effect on pathogens. You will not get uvc from a mhal bulb of any kind.

Powdery mildew requires around 1800 u watts of uvc to kill the spore. On an 11 watt uvc bulb that means a quick once over with the lamp will kill all spores the light falls on.

Good daily short term use not only kills spores but actually helps the plant to develop thicker leaves which again helps to combat pathogens.

Uvc really is the way forward for desease control.

Here is a copy and paste from another site...

Ultraviolt light (UV) occurs from the sun. The wavelength of UV is outside of our visible range. The lowest wavelength colour we can see is violet, hence the name for light with a wavelength lower than this is ultraviolet.

UV ranges from 100 nanometres to 400nm. UV is further divided into UV-A, UV-B and UV-C.
UV-C: ranges from 100nm – 280nm (germicidal)
UV-B: ranges from 280nm- 315nm (sunburn)
UV-A: ranges from 315nm – 400nm (blacklight)

We here are interested in the UV-C rays, also known as „short wave ultraviolet radiation“. UV-C`s germicidal properties have been known since the 1930s. They are used in labratories in order to destroy bacteria, mould and viruses. UV-C rays are able to penetrate the outer membrane of microbes and stop them from reproducing. The specific wavelength of 253,7 nm is known to break the DNA of pathogens.

In May 2007, two Dutch inventors, Arne Aiking and Frank Verheijen were granted an International Patent on a method of treating live plants and mushrooms against pathogens with UV-C light. In the past UV-C had only been used to sterilise things like air and water. The difference with proposing to use UV-C to fight pathogens on living plants is that you shouldn`t use any more than is necessary, otherwise there is a risk to health of the plant.

Mr. Aiking and Verheijens invention is a mobile UV-C lamp that travels up and down in commercial greenhouses. The light intensity of a UV-C germicidal light bulb is usually expressed in a term called „microwatts per square centimetre“. Mr. Aiking and Verheijen suggest a range between 2,500 and 150,000 mircrowatts of UV-C energy over a given 24 hour period.

E.g. A 100 Watt UV-C lamp will output approximately 14,000 microwatts of energy over a square centimetre, in one second, from a distance of two centimetres away. If we leave it there for one minute we have to multiply that figure by 60. (840,000 microwatts). Look at the following chart:
1cm 21,000 µW/cm2 UV output
2cm 14,000 µW/cm²
3cm 10,000 µW/cm²
4cm 8,000 µW/cm²
5cm 6,700 µW/cm²

100cm 360 µW/cm²

This shows that a second`s exposure at 1cm distance is roughly equivalent to a full minute`s exposure 1 meter away (360 x 60 = 21. 600µW/cm²).

We use the UV-C light to fight against powdery mildew in our plantation. Tests have shown that powdery mildew is killed when given a dose of 1720 µW of UV-C per square cm. For exemple if I took a 100 Watt UV-C lamp and positioned it two centimetres away from the mildew, I would need to switch on the UV-C lamp for just 1/10 of a second to kill it.

Spider mites could possibly also be effectively treated with UV-C but with amounts that are hundreds of times more compared to something like powdery mildew. We therefore use it only against powdery mildew.

The safest way to use UV-C on plants appears to be regular, smaller doses rather than a single, lager hit. We therefore use the UV-C light every day for a short time. The pathogen must be hit directly with the UV-C rays in order to be affected. If it is protected by a leaf, the UV-C will not be effective, because UV-C will not penetrate through leaves.

WARNINGS:
UV-C light has an intense burning effect on human skin and can quickly damage your eyes.
Protect your eyes with special eyeglasses
Don`t expose your skin to UV-C rays
The wrong amount of UV-C will damage your plant
This topic is part of one of our next episodes on FlowerfieldTV. We have just started the treatment of our plants with UV-C rays. At the moment we also use sulphur, because we don`t run the risk of getting powdery mildew. After that stage will treat our plants exclusively with UV-C ray. We will regularly report our experiences and tell you our improvements in This thread.

Finally I want to say thank you to Everest Fernandez, who provided a lot of information for this thread.
Excellent knowledge dropped, ... Thank you, you answered each of my concerns, reinforcing my intuition on my wanting to make UVC use..

Peace "AH" LI"YAH". "MAAH" *922 *10 VANESSA PEREZ

1750meters

1750meters

I have been researching fungicides since it seems to be a recurring problem for me inside and out. When growing inside or out, even with low humidity, the change in temp from light to dark can initiate PM. Mine was changing ~ 20F inside. I have used milk, potassium carbonate, been H2O2.
Then I read about using lecithin to emulsify been oil. It kinda mixed so I added some DR Bonners that helped. I then came across a study that used 2g of soy lecithin per liter water. The lecithin dissolves better with warm water in a blender. I let it sit for a day and it didn't separate. Lecithin is in a lot of food so it's completely harmless as is neem. A work in progress.

R

Raymer Tan

I assembled my own UVC lamp using a typical fluorescent T-8 setup but with a UVC lamp from sankyo-denki (G30T8 model) to sterilize my room. I read the manual that its not an ozone generating lamp. But when i turned it on i can smell something in the room. Its not something like an electrical burn because i know that smell. I am not familiar with how ozone smell but could that it be? Has anyone here experienced this scenario with their UVC steriler?

P

PharmHand

I assembled my own UVC lamp using a typical fluorescent T-8 setup but with a UVC lamp from sankyo-denki (G30T8 model) to sterilize my room. I read the manual that its not an ozone generating lamp. But when i turned it on i can smell something in the room. Its not something like an electrical burn because i know that smell. I am not familiar with how ozone smell but could that it be? Has anyone here experienced this scenario with their UVC steriler?
Kinda bleachy? That's ozone or O3 ,you should avoid being in the same room while it's on. It's toxic to plants as well. It's fine for sterilizing your room between runs or inside a duct that's vented out tho

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

20180224 130553
I have mine installed in the cold air return section of my hvac. I was worried about the output side, due to running a furnace, thinking the heat may effect the unit.

Last edited:
D

DrDankPHD

Yeah u can just scan each plant.

But I would get some reptile uvb lamps t5 or t8. Turn it on 5 hrs day and safer.

I think such Dutchmaster zone and saturstot in foliar should kill pm.

D

DrDankPHD

Germicidal uvc bulbs for horticulture are nothing new, infact cleanlight.nl make a hobby uvc light for use on fungus etc on house plants, weed.

This is not a gimmick, it works. Has been used in the commercial industry for years.

But do not ever get your skin exposed to uvc or your retinas / eyes. Small exposure will cause serious sun burn type effects and long term exposures will almost certainly be a trigger for certain cancers.

IMO, some of the anti thrip/ mite stuff that we spray or smoke unknowingly is much more dangerous to us than if we use uvc correctly. And the cleanlight comes complete with uvc filter goggles and gloves.

UVB has no effect on pathogens. You will not get uvc from a mhal bulb of any kind.

Powdery mildew requires around 1800 u watts of uvc to kill the spore. On an 11 watt uvc bulb that means a quick once over with the lamp will kill all spores the light falls on.

Good daily short term use not only kills spores but actually helps the plant to develop thicker leaves which again helps to combat pathogens.

Ultraviolt light (UV) occurs from the sun. The wavelength of UV is outside of our visible range. The lowest wavelength colour we can see is violet, hence the name for light with a wavelength lower than this is ultraviolet.

UV ranges from 100 nanometres to 400nm. UV is further divided into UV-A, UV-B and UV-C.

We here are interested in the UV-C rays, also known as „short wave ultraviolet radiation“. UV-C`s germicidal properties have been known since the 1930s. They are used in labratories in order to destroy bacteria, mould and viruses. UV-C rays are able to penetrate the outer membrane of microbes and stop them from reproducing. The specific wavelength of 253,7 nm is known to break the DNA of pathogens.

In May 2007, two Dutch inventors, Arne Aiking and Frank Verheijen were granted an International Patent on a method of treating live plants and mushrooms against pathogens with UV-C light. In the past UV-C had only been used to sterilise things like air and water. The difference with proposing to use UV-C to fight pathogens on living plants is that you shouldn`t use any more than is necessary, otherwise there is a risk to health of the plant.

Mr. Aiking and Verheijens invention is a mobile UV-C lamp that travels up and down in commercial greenhouses. The light intensity of a UV-C germicidal light bulb is usually expressed in a term called „microwatts per square centimetre“. Mr. Aiking and Verheijen suggest a range between 2,500 and 150,000 mircrowatts of UV-C energy over a given 24 hour period.

E.g. A 100 Watt UV-C lamp will output approximately 14,000 microwatts of energy over a square centimetre, in one second, from a distance of two centimetres away. If we leave it there for one minute we have to multiply that figure by 60. (840,000 microwatts). Look at the following chart:
2cm 14,000 µW/cm²
3cm 10,000 µW/cm²
4cm 8,000 µW/cm²
5cm 6,700 µW/cm²

100cm 360 µW/cm²

This shows that a second`s exposure at 1cm distance is roughly equivalent to a full minute`s exposure 1 meter away (360 x 60 = 21. 600µW/cm²).

We use the UV-C light to fight against powdery mildew in our plantation. Tests have shown that powdery mildew is killed when given a dose of 1720 µW of UV-C per square cm. For exemple if I took a 100 Watt UV-C lamp and positioned it two centimetres away from the mildew, I would need to switch on the UV-C lamp for just 1/10 of a second to kill it.

Spider mites could possibly also be effectively treated with UV-C but with amounts that are hundreds of times more compared to something like powdery mildew. We therefore use it only against powdery mildew.

The safest way to use UV-C on plants appears to be regular, smaller doses rather than a single, lager hit. We therefore use the UV-C light every day for a short time. The pathogen must be hit directly with the UV-C rays in order to be affected. If it is protected by a leaf, the UV-C will not be effective, because UV-C will not penetrate through leaves.

WARNINGS:
UV-C light has an intense burning effect on human skin and can quickly damage your eyes.
This topic is part of one of our next episodes on FlowerfieldTV. We have just started the treatment of our plants with UV-C rays. At the moment we also use sulphur, because we don`t run the risk of getting powdery mildew. After that stage will treat our plants exclusively with UV-C ray. We will regularly report our experiences and tell you our improvements in This thread.

Finally I want to say thank you to Everest Fernandez, who provided a lot of information for this thread.

Yup I got clean light hobby unit. Just wear tyvek suit and clean light sells gloves and eye wear. You'll be fine just use it properly.

LedGuy

LedGuy

View attachment 781410 I have mine installed in the cold air return section of my hvac. I was worried about the output side, due to running a furnace, thinking the heat may effect the unit.
How,have you loked tour setup? I,just bought a cheapo 15 dollar uvc bulb off Amazon to kill pm in my tent and surrounding emviroments. But after use,I,should,set it,up,for,something like,you've got!

mostlydonuts

mostlydonuts

I am currently using a CleanLight Hobby unit and it works amazingly to reduce and control PM. If you have more that four plants I would say go for the pro unit as it's 3 times as powerful as the hobby.

Rizla420

Rizla420

Hi I had to start a account to say this because I don't think enough people know this but if you get a 15w uvc light and put it inside your exhaust duct that's going to your carbon filter the ozone the light gives off actually does a better job of killing smells than the dam carbon filter this means you can use the same carbon filter forever! Also yes I've used it for a sec with gloves and glasses to give a quick once over to the girls and it does stop PM just be careful I'm gonna do a grow diary on here as I just got myself a super HPS and gonna do a 250w run to see how far I can push these new 2021 omega HPS bulbs they are now improved umols and there's not much info yet on them so gonna do a grow journal with them and gorilla glue 4 and OG kush let's see how it goes happy 420 bros

IMG 20210218 201639
IMG 20210218 213838
pcgrower1979

pcgrower1979

I just bought an UV-C light from amazon. I didn't notice when I ordered it but it has UV-C and ozone bulbs. Would the ozone that it admits, be harmful to cannibis/plants?

Last edited:
chinacat420

chinacat420

2cm 14,000 µW/cm²
3cm 10,000 µW/cm²
4cm 8,000 µW/cm²
5cm 6,700 µW/cm²

100cm 360 µW/cm²

WARNINGS:

Much appreciated info 10 years later! Thank you for posting it!

Z

Zatoichi

I just bought an UV-C light from amazon. I didn't notice when I ordered it but it has UV-C and ozone bulbs. Would the ozone that it admits, be harmful to cannibis/plants?
Needs to be used for very brief time periods. Was wondering exactly how long. I think I read 10-15 minutes somewhere. I want to use it to kill fusarium and pythium since all clone sellers are shipping infected plants these days. 5 orders in 3 months and every single plant was infected. Some dying in days, and others taking weeks.

Top Bottom