Uzi (oozy) Cookies F1 By Thegrowingrack

• Thread starter JWM2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I didnt pay the $1000 for my iphone either. But many did. They are the problem if you ask me.

And i got my new $1800 mountain bike for $995 shipped. Just last years model.

The prices will come way down as led becomes the norm.

Also worried i wont be able to keep my rooms warm enough in mid winter. Adding a heater diring lights on negates any savings.

True. It really depends on your situation and environment. It’s not ideal for everyone. But for a lot of folks it’s not too bad.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I still say use the right tool for the job.

Sure absolutely. It just depends on your situation. It’s not ideal for everyone and I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone. But to those that can utilize it and see the benefits it’s pretty nice. But I’m not trying to push lights but rather offer an alternative option to the most popular fixture with added features for the same price.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sure absolutely. It just depends on your situation. It’s not ideal for everyone and I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone. But to those that can utilize it and see the benefits it’s pretty nice. But I’m not trying to push lights but rather offer an alternative option to the most popular fixture with added features for the same price.

The boards or strips would be great for my new shorty tent. But they are far more expensive.

I have a 315. May need the horizontal reflector for height. I will get another one and use 6’ of the tent. The radiator heater and fan will go in the empty end in winter. Or maybe a 400 or 600 w hps to pair it with. Although for the short tent the cmh should keep the plants more managable.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm alright with people paying premium prices for flagship models (of any tech). They pay for all the research & testing which lowers the prices on budget (or used) devices for us poor people. I would pay the premium for your fixture just like I pay a premium for my computer parts. People talked smack about titanium+ efficient components like my MSI X99 Titanium mobo and Seasonic Titanium power supply, but that tech goes into the budget gear everyone else raves over. If it wasn't for people like us, technology would stall. Plus, my 750w PSU runs like a 250w or less most of the time

I want your lights dude. That'd be bada$$ to control the spectrum. I thought you were just screwing with us when you first mentioned it. I'm surprised no one made any comments about it and you had to bring it up again yourself.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm alright with people paying premium prices for flagship models (of any tech). They pay for all the research & testing which lowers the prices on budget (or used) devices for us poor people. I would pay the premium for your fixture just like I pay a premium for my computer parts. People talked smack about titanium+ efficient components like my MSI X99 Titanium mobo and Seasonic Titanium power supply, but that tech goes into the budget gear everyone else raves over. If it wasn't for people like us, technology would stall. Plus, my 750w PSU runs like a 250w or less most of the time

I want your lights dude. That'd be bada$$ to control the spectrum. I thought you were just screwing with us when you first mentioned it. I'm surprised no one made any comments about it and you had to bring it up again yourself.

I didnt say i dont want it. I said i dont want to pay for it.

And the light tech comes from companies like phillips and samsung. Not little grow light companies like HLG who markets on forums to new growers primarily.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I didnt say i dont want it. I said i dont want to pay for it.

And the light tech comes from companies like phillips and samsung. Not little grow light companies like HLG who markets on forums to new growers primarily.

I got no beef with what you said brother. My comment was more of a blanket statement about the electronics industry as a whole. When it comes to computer parts (especially graphics cards) I've found that the aftermarket additions are nearly as important as the foundational tech, ie; Nvidia brings the raw horsepower but EVGA engineers most excellent cooling systems. So innovation doesn't stop at the primary level, but carries on into secondary and tertiary refinements. (Nvidia actually took a que from their aftermarket dealers and started using static pressure fans instead of blowers on their new RTX models.)

I don't know what part, if any, HLG plays in the design aspects. So I can't really comment on what they do, but we can all agree, that is a bada$$ fixture. Hehe.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I got no beef with what you said brother. My comment was more of a blanket statement about the electronics industry as a whole. When it comes to computer parts (especially graphics cards) I've found that the aftermarket additions are nearly as important as the foundational tech, ie; Nvidia brings the raw horsepower but EVGA engineers most excellent cooling systems. So innovation doesn't stop at the primary level, but carries on into secondary and tertiary refinements. (Nvidia actually took a que from their aftermarket dealers and started using static pressure fans instead of blowers on their new RTX models.)

I don't know what part, if any, HLG plays in the design aspects. So I can't really comment on what they do, but we can all agree, that is a bada$$ fixture. Hehe.

Hlg claims to have designed the layout of the diodes and came up with the name quantum boards.

But really they just bolted existing boards on to aluminum strips and started selling them on Rollitup.

The tech was just modern retail showroom lighting. Just like cobs are modern street/warehouse lights. Just like metal halide and hps a long time ago.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter

Yeah the ability to control the spectrum is pretty cool. The controller does cost $249 so it’s not included with the fixture but you can daisy chain upto 100 fixtures together and use one controller. This is the only one of these I’m getting so I don’t know if I’ll invest in the controller or just try to make something myself. I have a feeling it’s just potentiometers wired to an Ethernet cable which would be easy to replicate if I had the pinout. I’ll contact the owner and see if he can hook me up. I hate to ask for too much though as he did give me the light and paid for shipping so I’ll wait a bit. But it would be nice to be able to turn the far reds on and off remotely and separately from the rest of the lights.

I agree the price is steep for the average consumer. It’s really meant for commercial farmers who will gain the most from its efficiency. But that doesn’t mean we can’t play with them too. It’s all about finding the best technology and sharing the results with the community. As you’ve said we’ve adopted commercial lighting technology since the beginning and this is no different. So let’s see what if anything this does and if it’s worth the price of admission.

As you know a customer can justify any price if they believe it’s worth it. And the opposite if they don’t. A good deal is based on perspective. So what’s it gonna take to get you into this new light tech? Haha kidding. If it was a fraction of the price you’d probably buy one and that because you don’t yet see the value in it. But that’s fine. All new technology goes through this. As time goes on and more info comes out you may find the value builds while the pricing comes down. At some point value and price will match up and you’ll wonder why you waited so long. Or not. But that’s ok too.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah the ability to control the spectrum is pretty cool. The controller does cost $249 so it’s not included with the fixture but you can daisy chain upto 100 fixtures together and use one controller. This is the only one of these I’m getting so I don’t know if I’ll invest in the controller or just try to make something myself. I have a feeling it’s just potentiometers wired to an Ethernet cable which would be easy to replicate if I had the pinout. I’ll contact the owner and see if he can hook me up. I hate to ask for too much though as he did give me the light and paid for shipping so I’ll wait a bit. But it would be nice to be able to turn the far reds on and off remotely and separately from the rest of the lights.

I agree the price is steep for the average consumer. It’s really meant for commercial farmers who will gain the most from its efficiency. But that doesn’t mean we can’t play with them too. It’s all about finding the best technology and sharing the results with the community. As you’ve said we’ve adopted commercial lighting technology since the beginning and this is no different. So let’s see what if anything this does and if it’s worth the price of admission.

As you know a customer can justify any price if they believe it’s worth it. And the opposite if they don’t. A good deal is based on perspective. So what’s it gonna take to get you into this new light tech? Haha kidding. If it was a fraction of the price you’d probably buy one and that because you don’t yet see the value in it. But that’s fine. All new technology goes through this. As time goes on and more info comes out you may find the value builds while the pricing comes down. At some point value and price will match up and you’ll wonder why you waited so long. Or not. But that’s ok too.

Try is this the right lamp for you to buy and drive home today?

Thats a demo drive trial close with no out.

:-)

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I would definitely buy one if I could afford it.

It's probably not controlled by potentiometer. It's likely a PWM (pulse width modulation) controller. Just in case you're not familiar with this tech, a PWM doesn't vary resistance, instead it regulates the frequency of a binary switch (on/off). They're pretty cheap since the tech is used to control most modern computer fans. Stand-alone PWM controllers are sold to control fans and lighting when a mobo doesnt have enough headers.

You need to find out how it's connected and if it is a potentiometer that relays the information to an onboard system or if it is a completely separate unit. I dont know if they all work the same or if a stand-alone with a specific frequency (or set of frequencies).

So you know, I'm guessing here, but it seems probable based on research I've done so far on my own lighting.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Here's a $20 PWM controller I'm looking at that will control my tents exhaust when using spare computer fans.
81eLAB92jFL AC SL1500
71Z4vyzDcSL AC SL1500  2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072M2HKS...olid=11VNA169ZUIHJ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

You may, or may not, need a more complex component, but for a difference of 0 it's worth looking into.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

So does it lose any intensity going from, say, the middle of the spectrum to one end of the spectrum. Like, are there two different kinds of diodes, one brightens, and one dims to change the spectrum. So both at full blast it might be 3500k, but to achieve 3000k, you have to dim one but maybe its not as intense? Does this make sense to anyone lol

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

So does it lose any intensity going from, say, the middle of the spectrum to one end of the spectrum. Like, are there two different kinds of diodes, one brightens, and one dims to change the spectrum. So both at full blast it might be 3500k, but to achieve 3000k, you have to dim one but maybe its not as intense? Does this make sense to anyone lol

If they're PWM I don't think they lose any intesity. What we percieve as dim is really pulses that are shorter, less frequent, or both. I think I remember reading it's by varying the current that the spectrum can be changed on some COBs. That is unless, like you are saying, these use a mix of different LEDs to create the desire color. My training was 25yrs ago so I don't know how a modern PWM controller would effect the current incarnation, and specifically, these LEDs. I think a PWM back in my day was called a digital multi vibrator (sounds kinky), and our LEDs were composed of different materials that reacted differently to current fluctuations.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

If they're PWM I don't think they lose any intesity. What we percieve as dim is really pulses that are shorter, less frequent, or both. I think I remember reading it's by varying the current that the spectrum can be changed on some COBs. That is unless, like you are saying, these use a mix of different LEDs to create the desire color. My training was 25yrs ago so I don't know how a modern PWM controller would effect the current incarnation, and specifically, these LEDs. I think a PWM back in my day was called a digital multi vibrator (sounds kinky), and our LEDs were composed of different materials that reacted differently to current fluctuations.
Interesting stuff, I got a lot to learn about lighting! :D And thanks for the reply, btw

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Interesting stuff, I got a lot to learn about lighting! :D And thanks for the reply, btw

You're very welcome.

Smithsjunk is spot on. Great explaination bro!

Thank you.

I think I'm, at least, close. My electronics training was specifically for telecommunications (Air Force) and later for the electronics side of 'Airframe & Powerplant' (Sac City College). So they were specific to those fields and didn't uneccesarily cover more advanced subject matter. Once I get brushed up I'll once again have a working understanding of DC circuits. But for now, I'm operating on articles I found on the internet while researching computer and lighting products. I really need to order an electronics course so I can get back up to speed and familiar with the newer tech. That'd be fun (sheesh, I'm such a nerd, hehe).

Last edited:
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
1351010F 1C35 44DB A0AD 69B4E36C9587
AD2A00C9 0701 4FAA BB1D 315351AFECF2

The above two pics are of my cookies n cream. Lots of color late into flowering. Tight nugs with a hint of vanilla musk.

CCEDBEE1 919B 4AC9 B984 6EDAE1B94BF8

Cookies Pheno UZi Cookies. This one grows more like cookies n cream. It has a very pleasant fruity like scent to it. Compact nugs. Still about 3-4 weeks left on this one.

AA9910EC 8FA0 4849 85A4 5FAF2D07D622

This is the AK leaning pheno. Still grows more like the cookies n cream but the bud clusters are more leafy and AK like. It has a gummy worm like scent from the 80s. Very nice. This one has closer to 4+ weeks left.

Latest posts

Top Bottom