Vacuum sealing – pros and cons

• Thread starter Mugwort
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mugwort

Mugwort

Does anyone vacuum seal their buds? Anyone care t comment on the pros and cons? Damage to buds? Maximum time sealed before some kind of degradation? Any problem with any kind of anaerobic microbes?

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Does anyone vacuum seal their buds? Anyone care t comment on the pros and cons? Damage to buds? Maximum time sealed before some kind of degradation? Any problem with any kind of anaerobic microbes?
Does it damage the buds? I wanna know more about this as well.

chuck88

chuck88

I put an ounce in a freezer bag and then gently roll it up and seal it. Then into the vacuum bag, the air in the first bag will keep the vacuum from flattening the product.

Haven't needed to take any out of the freezer Yet so the result is to be determined :)

I think the longest I've had product in jars is six months but I wanted to give freezing a try !

And by "jars" I mean tobacco containers. The product is loosely packed in a plastic bag which is just loosely twisted closed and then the top is screwed on normally.

I "think" the trick here is that with the interior plastic bag there is no extra air in the container, buds seem to hold their moisture/shape/smell/etc.

Cheers.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
I vac seal and cold cure. My sealer has a gentle setting but it will still turn a bag into a solid brick. After sealing it's stored in a mini fridge set just above freezing. I don't concern myself with burping or any of that stuff since I also cold dry for about 3-4 weeks. Once the weed is bagged after that it can be sealed for a very long time without opening.
No issues with molds or crushing the buds here. What I do get is some loud as fuck stinky weed, solid nugs, silky smooth smoke, and ruthless potency by preserving the THC and full bouquet of terps. A zero oxygen environment and cold temps is great for preserving weed.
All I can say is I've tried many different ways to cure and store weed and after getting into this tech I wont do it any other way. I was using containers then bagging them up and vac sealing them but after a huge haul last year I didn't have enough containers so I used just the bags and everything still turned out very well for me

Here's my stash in the mini fridge. When ever I need weed I just pull out a bag and unload it into a c-vault for daily smoke. Some of these bags have been in here since October 2020

IMG 2662

Here's a nug of California Chrome that was bagged and vac sealed October 2020 and finally opened about 3 weeks ago. About 7 months spent in a vacuum and stored at 38*. Never crushed, still very dense, and is stinking up my house as I type this 🔥

IMG 2665

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

My brother uses a vacuum sealer, but sucks out the air until the plastic surrounds the buds. It keeps it fresh, but the buds look like shit.

A friend stops just before enveloping the buds in film and it seems to work fine. Very hard to smell anything through the plastic material.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

My brother uses a vacuum sealer, but sucks out the air until the plastic surrounds the buds. It keeps it fresh, but the buds look like shit.

A friend stops just before enveloping the buds in film and it seems to work fine. Very hard to smell anything through the plastic material.

We double vaac seal and stop the machine before the buds get squeezed much and no one has smelled anything or noticed deformed buds. A friend just opened a last year package and said it was just like he remembered and hoped it would be. Smelled strong and still had its bounce back when squeezed.

growsince79

growsince79

No freezer but i could. They keep in a dark cupboard in the cellar forever.
Nothing lasts forever-especially weed. I store in dark jars @ 65f and throw lots of old stuff out. Mine is still smokable after one year, but I do notice a loss in potency and terps. After 18 months its in my compost pile.

Madbud

Madbud

Nothing lasts forever-especially weed. I store in dark jars @ 65f and throw lots of old stuff out. Mine is still smokable after one year, but I do notice a loss in potency and terps. After 18 months its in my compost pile.
So you’ve never used a vacuum sealer.

Madbud

Madbud

Thats why i prefer the containers, but brick is cool old school😂

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
I vac seal and cold cure. My sealer has a gentle setting but it will still turn a bag into a solid brick. After sealing it's stored in a mini fridge set just above freezing. I don't concern myself with burping or any of that stuff since I also cold dry for about 3-4 weeks. Once the weed is bagged after that it can be sealed for a very long time without opening.
No issues with molds or crushing the buds here. What I do get is some loud as fuck stinky weed, solid nugs, silky smooth smoke, and ruthless potency by preserving the THC and full bouquet of terps. A zero oxygen environment and cold temps is great for preserving weed.
All I can say is I've tried many different ways to cure and store weed and after getting into this tech I wont do it any other way. I was using containers then bagging them up and vac sealing them but after a huge haul last year I didn't have enough containers so I used just the bags and everything still turned out very well for me

Here's my stash in the mini fridge. When ever I need weed I just pull out a bag and unload it into a c-vault for daily smoke. Some of these bags have been in here since October 2020

View attachment 1118439

Here's a nug of California Chrome that was bagged and vac sealed October 2020 and finally opened about 3 weeks ago. About 7 months spent in a vacuum and stored at 38*. Never crushed, still very dense, and is stinking up my house as I type this 🔥

View attachment 1118440
I’m in the same camp. Gets too warm for storage in the summer so into the fridge it goes. 6-7 more 2 qt jars to bag up from the winter grows.
5DDDDEC3 1FC3 441B 9D28 89019C38AB63

Mugwort

Mugwort

View attachment 1118439

View attachment 1118440
Great reply...thank you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom