Variegated pattern, twisted leaves and chlorosis?

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Andy

Andy

After taking a cutting from someone else’s room (stupid), keeping it in my propagator and subsequently getting rid of it, some of my plants started to exhibit some markings on the leaves and leaf curling that looks like pictures of cannabis plant viruses I’ve seen on the net. The odd thing is that it didn’t spread from plant to plant, but only stayed in one strain I was growing, even though the other plants were touching.

This led me to believe it possibly wasn’t a virus as it didn’t spread throughout the whole crop. At the end of the flowering period, I obviously discontinued the strain that got the weird leaf markings and the other unaffected strain has been great ever since. I’ve checked carefully for pests & there aren’t any.

Anyway I didn’t clean my propagator properly (again stupid), and a new strain I’m trying is exhibiting the exact same symptoms as before as per the photos attached. I think it must have been something they contracted from the unclean propagator.

I’ve been growing for a good while so the environment, medium (coco) and growing style are dialed in and have worked excellently for many years. The symptoms are initially a variegated pattern on the leaf, with the older leaves at the bottom of the plant displaying chlorosis as shown. Otherwise the plants are in excellent shape and vigorous as they always are.

Obviously I’m going to be much more careful from now in with cleanliness and will start with a new propagator & pots next time. I was originally reassured that this could be fine and perhaps a strain specific trait & should sort itself out in time, but now, considering it’s affected two separate strains from the same propagator and is displaying chlorosis, I’m not so sure.

Would anyone be able to tell me what’s going on? I’ve included photos of the plants in their state today and when they were younger to give a full picture.

Cheers

Variegated pattern twisted leaves and chlorosis
Variegated pattern twisted leaves and chlorosis 2
Variegated pattern twisted leaves and chlorosis 3
Variegated pattern twisted leaves and chlorosis 4
Vaqueros Verde

Vaqueros Verde

How many times a day are you watering, Ph, ppm?
Coco looks dry.

Andy

Andy

Watering etc is all good, was just before a water in the photo. been growing for a long time so ph & ec is spot on - ph 6, ec 1.6. Have had high yields & super vigorous growth every time for years - first time I’ve seen this tho..

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

If it happened again with a different strain but same dirty propagator could it be a virus?

It’s funny to even say but this kinda looks like tmv no? You should get a sample to the lab.

Andy

Andy

If it happened again with a different strain but same dirty propagator could it be a virus?

It’s funny to even say but this kinda looks like tmv no? You should get a sample to the lab.
That’s my worry - TMV. What sort of lab would I need to find? I’m not sure if we have anything in the UK for that.

The only one thing that gives me pause for thought if it’s a virus or not is that it refused to spread to the other plants, even though they were touching and intertwined in a scrog. Don’t viruses spread through the whole crop?

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

I agree with @JSH1973 some strains are resistant. Maybe.

But I found out you can order your own home test for tmv. I saw a thread on this site talking about it.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

That’s my worry - TMV. What sort of lab would I need to find? I’m not sure if we have anything in the UK for that.

The only one thing that gives me pause for thought if it’s a virus or not is that it refused to spread to the other plants, even though they were touching and intertwined in a scrog. Don’t viruses spread through the whole crop?
ELISA testing can be expensive. Testing is somewhat complicated. Better for you to look into it through an internet search...DON'T BUY INTO THE BULLSHIT HYPE. Educate yourself on the process of ELISA testing then do it....thing is tmv isnt known to be found in cannabis....so ive read...could be bullshit...

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

ELISA testing can be expensive. Testing is somewhat complicated. Better for you to look into it through an internet search...DON'T BUY INTO THE BULLSHIT HYPE. Educate yourself on the process of ELISA testing then do it....thing is tmv isnt known to be found in cannabis....so ive read...could be bullshit...

I’ve read the same but what do you think it is in OPs pic?

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I’ve read the same but what do you think it is in OPs pic?
Not exp enough...if its a virus no one could say.

This happened to me when i had thrips. They are carriers! I used tobacco in one of my sprays i was switching hittin with. So was it thrips or tobaccy....not really sure

Ive heard folks say this could be nute stripping or ph maybe combo of both....

Op lives in the UK so the tests are probably affordable. They were invented there! Problem with elisa tests, I could be wrong, are they create false positives some how. I think it has to do with these "viruses" sharing genetic material and cross failing. Its been like 4 or 5 years since i read about them. My bad memory..lol.

Uni of florida has done tmv hemp and canna studies and havent found it in either species

Last edited:
Andy

Andy

Thanks all, much appreciated. Another possibility is I changed to RO water around the time I first time I started seeing this - although I can’t remember if it was before or after. I mix the RO water with my very hard tap water to get an EC of 0.4 as a base to start adding nutrients. Im relying on the calcium and magnesium in the tap water to provide those elements I’m wondering if I should instead switch to pure RO and just add cal mag to that to get my 0.4ec base?

RR1

RR1

You're probably onto something.
When I had really hard water, a Tall Boy with a kdf85 took care of it.

Tall Boy w/ kdf85 upgrade
Looks very much like calcium deficiency to me. The problem is taking cuttings from other people can bring lots of problems, cause it's hard to figure the problem. Pick the bad leaves, start a heavy dose regime and watch. The nice thing is you probably won't cause a problem with too much cal-mag for a week cause most cannabis loves it. But you'll see quickly if more leaves start to turn.
Now, more important. Don't get cuts from other people. I never had problems until I started trading with other people. Now I start with seeds, and only use my own cuts.
Haven't had a bug in years.
Good luck,
RR1

Top Bottom