Veg and Bloom...use both settings for flowering??

• Thread starter Thumbuddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thumbuddy

Thumbuddy

I'm new to all this indoor growing so please bare with my lack of knowledge.
I'm running a 5x5 tent with 2- 1000w king plus LEDs. Started flowering stage almost 5 wks ago.
Kind of confused per manufacturers suggestion to run both Veg and Bloom during early stages of flowering...then switch to bloom only during later flowering stage.
Both on always?
Bloom only?
What point is considered later flowering stage?
I'm figuring on a 9 wk flowering period

BigCube

BigCube

I'm running a 5x5 tent with 2- 1000w king plus LEDs. Started flowering stage almost 5 wks ago.
Kind of confused per manufacturers suggestion to run both Veg and Bloom during early stages of flowering...then switch to bloom only during later flowering stage.
Both on always?
Bloom only?

Well, I will give you a short answer, then a longer more involved one.

Short: you want them both on all the time, even in veg.

Long: (here we go)

To properly scale your lighting to your environment, you want a minimum of 30w per square foot. But 35w per sq/f is optimal.

You have a 5x5 tent
5x5=25x35=875 actual watts. Remember this number.

In the advertising for king plus 1000w it says it consumes 188w.

875-188x2=499

You are 500w short of optimal lighting. That is with both switches on.

If you can return those lights still, you may want to look in to better fixtures.
As a rule, anything with veg/bloom switches or anything burple is not worth buying.

Look in to quantum style fixtures, or bar type fixtures. Kingbrite makes nice kits. I can hunt down link or two if you need.

Thumbuddy

Thumbuddy

I'm running 2 of them though so that should put me in the required wattage per square ft,correct? Atleast with both running veg and bloom I assume I'd have the wattage.
Yeah, I went cheap because this was a first time grow.
I did do a few searches on them and did know they were way underrated from what manufacturer claimed. Number one reason I bought 2....and they were cheaper of course

Thumbuddy

Thumbuddy

Both on always?
Bloom only?
Well, I will give you a short answer, then a longer more involved one.

Short: you want them both on all the time, even in veg.

Long: (here we go)

To properly scale your lighting to your environment, you want a minimum of 30w per square foot. But 35w per sq/f is optimal.

You have a 5x5 tent
5x5=25x35=875 actual watts. Remember this number.

In the advertising for king plus 1000w it says it consumes 188w.

875-188x2=499

You are 500w short of optimal lighting. That is with both switches on.

If you can return those lights still, you may want to look in to better fixtures.
As a rule, anything with veg/bloom switches or anything burple is not worth buying.

Look in to quantum style fixtures, or bar type fixtures. Kingbrite makes nice kits. I can hunt down link or two if you need.
I think it see in your equation now as to how I messed up. I thought I saw where each was actually equivalent to 500watts which was why I purchased 2 believing I was putting down roughly 1000 watts. Highly bummed because at this point now I'm afraid my plants wont produce much.
I thought they(buds) looked good but then again I thought I had my lighting set too.

20210318 223105
20210318 222506
20210318 222514
BigCube

BigCube

You will still get buds. Just not as much and not as dense.

It's not your fault. Unscrupulous led manufacturers use inflated (equivalent) ratings. You have to know, and search for the actual wattage.

Dont worry about it. You'll get something out of it. Just look in to upgrading your light in the future. You can still use these as supplemental or in separate applications.

Thumbuddy

Thumbuddy

Yep...was duped by misleading advertising but should have been smart enough to know from the price. Most likely will just use these to start plants for outside this summer.
Thanks for some encouraging words though. Was just thinking for what i spent on the tent,lights etc...could have just bought a few OZs.
I'm a light smoker anyway so maybe it will still pay off.

Thumbuddy

Thumbuddy

You will still get buds. Just not as much and not as dense.

It's not your fault. Unscrupulous led manufacturers use inflated (equivalent) ratings. You have to know, and search for the actual wattage.

Dont worry about it. You'll get something out of it. Just look in to upgrading your light in the future. You can still use these as supplemental or in separate applications.
[/QUOTE
Crazy thought but I forgot I have a few 4ft T5s in the garage. Think that would help? I'm thinking at this juncture it wouldn't hurt but I know absolutely Jack about indoor growing

Top Bottom