Veg: purpling fan leaves, nute deficiency issues

• Thread starter EmanonGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EmanonGrows

EmanonGrows

Hello farmers. I have been trying to get on top of whatever is happening to my plants. I'm a noob still, as this is only my 2nd serious cannabis grow. I've grown crappy closet plants before, and I grow lots of chile peppers and hops and other non-THC crops outdoors. I think it could be P lockout, but I'm just not sure what to do here to determine for sure.

Stats:

4 plants

4x4x7 tent

3x 450W Meizhi LED, ~10" from tops

Temp is 79 day/66 night, 18/6 schedule
*about 9 degrees cooler night temps than my summer grow, which did not have this issue*

Humidity about 45% all the time, drops to 35% with lights on

Plants are clones, 2 weeks after rooting they were transplanted into bigger pots and moved from my mother tent to the 4x4x7 tent (where I veg rooted clones for a month-ish and then flower)

Water pH ~6.8-7.0, runoff pH about 6.8, slurry pH the same
*this seemed concerning to me, but my last grow the pH was just about the same in the same soil and I did not have this problem*

Fox Farms Happy Frog soil in 5 gallon cloth pots

Essentially no nutes. I fed them lightly once at 3 weeks into veg, but since have just been RO water only. I'm afraid to feed them again, in case what i have is lockout and not just deficient soil. I'm using Roots organics ferts, following their instructions but at reduced strength.

No bugs.

One oscillating tower fan blowing on the plants.

Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 14

Symptoms:
My plants are growing slowly, leaves looking kind of drooped, and the main thing is a dramatic purpling/pink color and spotty necrosis of the fan leaves, moving from bottom to top. This started immediately after i transplanted them into the FFHF soil. My suspicion is maybe i have too high of a pH, or my nighttime temps are getting too low, and P is becoming unavailable. I have four plants of two different strains and they are all showing the same behavior, leading me to think it's environmental (same tent, same bag of soil, same nutes). Currently, the higher up leaves are developing pink edges/margins and a pale yellow/green new growth. While some bigger fans just turn straight dark purple, some look very metallic. Others show brownish/dark spots.

Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues
Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 2
Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 3
Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 4

^can see some pink edges on that leaf in the middle-right
Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 5

Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 6

Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 7
Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 8
Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 9
Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 10

Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 11

^hard to see, but this leaf is almost completely purple
Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 12

^ even with LED, pink tips can be seen on the leaf i am touching here

Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 13

Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 15

Veg purpling fan leaves nute deficiency issues 16

They had what seemed like a teeny growth spurt when i fed them, leaves flattened out, but within hours thereafter they got droopy again, and then within a day the purpling started progressing again. This made me wonder of they wanted some food, but i don't want to throw ferts at them until i know it's what they need. The last grow I used the same soil (a different bag!) and those plants grew incredibly well; they didn't need food until about a week into flower. I read FFHF can be varied in its richness so there's that, too.

Anyway.. I'm frustrated that I can't diagnose this myself... I don't know if they're locked out or hungry or what, but it's really messing with my 'schedule', and I don't want to flip lights til I get it worked out. Any help would be much appreciated!!

I tried my best to get pics in natural light, but apparently i have a dim house with cheap, dim bulbs lol. I tried to get some pictures under the LEDs with a filter but it still looks purple and stripey. I have since given these girls haircuts/defoliated the lower parts to encourage airflow.

BigCube

BigCube

Ph is a bit high, But not outrageous. Looking at your soil, it is already heavily fortified. You shouldn't need to add nutrients at all really since you didn't veg in that soil, it's at full strength.

My guess is nutrients, especially since they were healthy before you re potted them.

Looks like you have a bunch of this:

Going on.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Using RO you probably want to add some cal mag. They look either over or under watered and under fed to me. Not familiar with those nutes but organics take a bit to get going. or lockout?

How often and what are your watering practices.

EmanonGrows

EmanonGrows

Using RO you probably want to add some cal mag. They look either over or under watered and under fed to me. Not familiar with those nutes but organics take a bit to get going. or lockout?

How often and what are your watering practices.
Honestly calmag was the main reason i fed them just a hair of nutes at week 3. The stuff i fed them contains a good amount of cal mag, but also a veg portion of NPK. But then I started thinking lockout when it didn't improve. I water about every 3 days, but basically I just wait until I can't feel any more moisture on the cloth pots/few inches of top soil and then water until i get runoff, about 0.75 gal per pot. I try to let them dry out but not wilt, they haven't wilted on me yet.

I'm torn, because like Cube said the soil is brand new so I assume it's still rich, and they do seem to have symptoms of multi deficiency which makes me think unavailability more than lack of nutes..

But i also don't reeeeeally know what I'm doing lol.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Honestly calmag was the main reason i fed them just a hair of nutes at week 3. The stuff i fed them contains a good amount of cal mag, but also a veg portion of NPK. But then I started thinking lockout when it didn't improve. I water about every 3 days, but basically I just wait until I can't feel any more moisture on the cloth pots/few inches of top soil and then water until i get runoff, about 0.75 gal per pot. I try to let them dry out but not wilt, they haven't wilted on me yet.

I'm torn, because like Cube said the soil is brand new so I assume it's still rich, and they do seem to have symptoms of multi deficiency which makes me think unavailability more than lack of nutes..

But i also don't reeeeeally know what I'm doing lol.
I think you are over watering then.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

drop ph. all strains diff. soil prefs usually not. look deficient. check ppm n runoff. lights sound close. check lst and um... aqua? par?
it's a diff strain than last time, hah?

Chris Mullen

Chris Mullen

Tbh, were to start? Basically you need to start judging you rwatering/feeds properly, if youre using ro, with no Macro/micro nutrients youre bound to come across alot of problems, im not pro but if this was me i would drop the p.h to 6.5 and give it a water right away if your soil is dry, because to me it looks under watered more then over, buy a cheap feed like canna a & b, also some rhizotonic, cannazyne, and add some molasse, see what problems yoy have from there, if you continue without any nutrients your plant will just look bad full stop.

Make sure you have appropriate air flow, and keep an eye on your rh and temp, you can google search most of the stuff, dont try to pin. Adjust your growing routine.
Good luck

Top Bottom