Vegging with HPS is it Possible?

• Thread starter Toone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Toone

Hello i recently purchased a hps grow system and wasnt sure if i could vegg under hps because i usually use cfl or t5 to vegg. Im thinking HPS lighting is only good for Flowering anybody that could help i would appreciate it

V

vierundzwanzig

you have the perfect setup toone
cfls will give you tight nodes and quicker lateral growth due to the proximity of light source.
hps is all you need for flower.
I have read some old heads don't purchase mh because its simply not necessary.
veg box, flower room, neither one needs mh.
its obvious you are expanding your op so do yourself a favor. use what you have on hand before buying anything else. its going to get costly so Recycle and go Organic.

vaporedout

vaporedout

yeah when i did indoor, i used 1000w hps for eveything.... they did stretch but i grow indicas so it wasnt bad... just keep that light the proper height and it should be fine.(not sure what W your hps is) i did about 16 to 18 inch for the 1000w

Chobble

Chobble

Unless you want to waste power basiclly, Keep vegging under the T5/CFLs and then flip to flower and use the HPS.

While it is possible, The plant Prefers Blue light while in the vegatative state (Which is provided by those CFLs or T5's) and the HPS gives them lots of red that helps bump up there yields with red light. These are both the case due to natural sun light. More blue light in spring, More Red in Fall.

Chobble

T

Toone

Thanks chobble i was sure about the plants prefering the blue color but when i got the equipmen the guy told me he got a qp of his setup wich was 2 plants under 150watts hps i gues the question i should ask is whIch light would produce a biger yield In the end

T

Toone

yeah when i did indoor, i used 1000w hps for eveything.... they did stretch but i grow indicas so it wasnt bad... just keep that light the proper height and it should be fine.(not sure what W your hps is) i did about 16 to 18 inch for the 1000w
150 watt all organis soil based

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

whats this no mh needed stuff??...guys cmon now

Metal Halides are great when vegging alot of plants i.e. 20+ or vegging some plants for a long time i.e. 5+ weeks, but IMO if your vegging for 4 weeks and you don't have alot of plants then CLF/T5's are the way to go.

Chobble

Chobble

Metal Halides are great when vegging alot of plants i.e. 20+ or vegging some plants for a long time i.e. 5+ weeks, but IMO if your vegging for 4 weeks and you don't have alot of plants then CLF/T5's are the way to go.

A 400W(8 tube) T5 Will cover the same amount of space as a 1000w MH light. T5's are also cooler and you save quite a pretty penny on power :D

Chobble

Bannacis

Bannacis

You can use the cfl's and the hps for vegging and flowering. the more light in veg, the bigger and better your plants will be for flowering.
The thing is, do you have room for a veg closet and flower separately? if yes then problem solved...cfl/t5s for veg and hps for flower. if you are just using one grow room...use both cfl's and hps from start to finish.
As i recall you haven't picked 400 or 600 watts.

Some peeps use nothing but MH and frown on HPS, I like em both plus cfl and led. I think the idea of small wattage more lights. broader spectrum.
there are also bulbs that have a little of both spectrum of mh and hps. some use nothing butt T5's or leds or etc..etc..for whole grow.
can't go wrong with any of em really.

Some strains prefer more of a bluer light in ripening, depends from where its lean-age originates.

May the florist be with you...:cool:

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
A 400W(8 tube) T5 Will cover the same amount of space as a 1000w MH light. T5's are also cooler and you save quite a pretty penny on power :D

Chobble
im not tryn to pick a fight bro, but 2 8bulb t5s might cover the area my xxxl covers.
and to clarify..im in a small room (5x7)..with 8 plants...2 xxxls covering that 5x7
and yes t5s are all thats in my vegg now...i wanted to see the difference in t5s and mh, and got tighter nodes with mh..

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

@Chobble: Yeah your right they will cover the same sq.ft. but when people grow trees and the plants get sometimes 2 feet tall thats alot of depthfor a T5 to cover, also when somebody is hanging lights vertically CFL/T5's can't handle the job. I think the MH penetrates better so is necessary in specific situations. I'm not saying your wrong, but every type of bulb (MH, HPS, CFL/T5) has pros and cons and is best at something and MH have a great Kelvin temp for veg and great penetration so it is better than floros in certain situations, not all situations. ya feel me bro. ;)

Chobble

Chobble

im not tryn to pick a fight bro, but 2 8bulb t5s might cover the area my xxxl covers.
and to clarify..im in a small room (5x7)..with 8 plants...2 xxxls covering that 5x7
and yes t5s are all thats in my vegg now...i wanted to see the difference in t5s and mh, and got tighter nodes with mh..

I wasnt trying to pick a fight I was mearly stating that its cheaper etc :p I completely understand the benefits of a MH as well, I just dont think theres much need for them

@Chobble: Yeah your right they will cover the same sq.ft. but when people grow trees and the plants get sometimes 2 feet tall thats alot of depthfor a T5 to cover, also when somebody is hanging lights vertically CFL/T5's can't handle the job. I think the MH penetrates better so is necessary in specific situations. I'm not saying your wrong, but every type of bulb (MH, HPS, CFL/T5) has pros and cons and is best at something and MH have a great Kelvin temp for veg and great penetration so it is better than floros in certain situations, not all situations. ya feel me bro. ;)

Two feet is about the plant hiegth where fluros fall off, and Ill agree for anything bigger then that you should go MH.

Chobble

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
I wasnt trying to pick a fight I was mearly stating that its cheaper etc :p I completely understand the benefits of a MH as well, I just dont think theres much need for them
i didnt want you to think i was tryn...not you bro

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

You can use the cfl's and the hps for vegging and flowering. the more light in veg, the bigger and better your plants will be for flowering.
The thing is, do you have room for a veg closet and flower separately? if yes then problem solved...cfl/t5s for veg and hps for flower. if you are just using one grow room...use both cfl's and hps from start to finish.
As i recall you haven't picked 400 or 600 watts.

Some peeps use nothing but MH and frown on HPS, I like em both plus cfl and led. I think the idea of small wattage more lights. broader spectrum.
there are also bulbs that have a little of both spectrum of mh and hps. some use nothing butt T5's or leds or etc..etc..for whole grow.
can't go wrong with any of em really.

Some strains prefer more of a bluer light in ripening, depends from where its lean-age originates.

May the florist be with you...:cool:

All very great info bro, only thing I can't agree with is when you say people use T5's for the entire grow and you can't go wrong with any of em really. Honestly I have seen people grow veg+bloom with floros and it's ugly, weak, stetchy plants and tiny, fluffy buds. For veg T5's are great, but when it comes to flowering HPS is the #1 choice, hands down. You get big, tight, dense, heavy buds with HPS I have never seen that with CFL or T5's. I'm not talking shit bro, just tryin to help people out. peace :)

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
all but one have a 10 week...left side of room is hps right side mh...2000 total watts
lights at 7.5 foot whole time
DSC01460

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
if you want wicked fast growth vegg with the hps and flower with it usally if i'm starting over i'll start my seeds under my 8 bulub bad boy t5 then when they get a lil bigger maybe first set of tru leaves I move them under a 600 watt hps 24/7 . That way i can get my girls as big as i can fast as i can to take clones to get the flower room full. thats not to say u can't vegg ur girls the whole time under the t5 but i need a few clones so i need my girls big enought to prooduce those clones also if you plan to grow big plants like i did last run they need to be vegged under hps for sure to get the best possible structure imop i top and super crop my plants excessively when growing bushes. you can check out my thread prodigy's big bushes if you want to look at some examples . any way hope your grow goes nice and q's get at me late.

Botanikos

Botanikos

From my knowledge... Photoperiod plants work with the light amount and not so much with the type of light, yes the different lights will help but not necessarily hinder the process. Flowering occurs when the light over a period of time is limited.
But for non photoperiod plants, it'll work but its not going to be as good if you had the right lighting system

Latest posts

Top Bottom