Venting Options Indoor Tent Grow

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

Hey all!

Planning out my first grow, indoors, in the basement.

This will be in my workbench area which is around 16’x6’, 8’ height to floorboards. There is a 4x4‘ “cut out” about 5 feet into the area (against inside wall of finished basement) which the 3x3 tent will fit. Right across to the other wall where the workbench is (foundation wall) there is an old school wood hinged window...I think 20” x 32”. Looks like something was vented there before, a piece of sheet metal with a 4” hole replaced one of the window panes.

My setup is 3x3 tent, 300w LED light bar (SF SE3000), 6” exhaust fan with carbon filter.
Northeast US
Temps... 60-70f
Humidity 50-60%
Humidity does drop around 30-40% in the winter, hovering around 35%

I am thinking I’ll need an AC unit and a dehumidifier. So that means exhaust fan and AC will need to be vented. If the tent doesn’t vent out too much condensation maybe I could vent that into another room or maybe vent it up higher and about 6ft from the tent, then have the AC unit vented through the window, and closer to the intake side of the tent?

Looking into options and hoping for some guidance and help here lol. I really want to have temp/humidity nailed down here. If there are better cooling and dehumidifying options that fit in a tent I’d be willing to sacrifice tent space too. Thanks!

growsince79

growsince79

Hey all!

Planning out my first grow, indoors, in the basement.

This will be in my workbench area which is around 16’x6’, 8’ height to floorboards. There is a 4x4‘ “cut out” about 5 feet into the area (against inside wall of finished basement) which the 3x3 tent will fit. Right across to the other wall where the workbench is (foundation wall) there is an old school wood hinged window...I think 20” x 32”. Looks like something was vented there before, a piece of sheet metal with a 4” hole replaced one of the window panes.

My setup is 3x3 tent, 300w LED light bar (SF SE3000), 6” exhaust fan with carbon filter.
Northeast US
Temps... 60-70f
Humidity 50-60%
Humidity does drop around 30-40% in the winter, hovering around 35%

I am thinking I’ll need an AC unit and a dehumidifier. So that means exhaust fan and AC will need to be vented. If the tent doesn’t vent out too much condensation maybe I could vent that into another room or maybe vent it up higher and about 6ft from the tent, then have the AC unit vented through the window, and closer to the intake side of the tent?

Looking into options and hoping for some guidance and help here lol. I really want to have temp/humidity nailed down here. If there are better cooling and dehumidifying options that fit in a tent I’d be willing to sacrifice tent space too. Thanks!
Northeast in a basement? How hot does it get in summer? Can't imagine you would need ac very often. Maybe a little portable for summer. Unless the rh stays over 60 you won't need a dehumidifier either. How cold does it get in winter? I'd just vent the tent outside and be done with it.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Northeast in a basement? How hot does it get in summer? Can't imagine you would need ac very often. Maybe a little portable for summer. Unless the rh stays over 60 you won't need a dehumidifier either. How cold does it get in winter? I'd just vent the tent outside and be done with it.
I‘d say low to mid 70s when it’s hot in the summer. A buddy has a 4x4 similar setup and tent reading is around 85 right now. I don’t think he has much control over the heat with just the fan so assuming I’ll run into the same issues. Humidity would probably be ok during the super cold stretches during winter, below zero temps but it depends too much on the weather and is pretty drastic in fluctuations.

Dothraki

Dothraki

I was thinking of venting a little portable AC unit out the window and just venting the tent either up under the floor boards (probably bad idea due to moisture) or just venting it like 10ft away and hope the AC being closer to the intake would work...but also never ran an AC in freezing temps so not sure what problems I’d run into like the vent hood freezing over.

growsince79

growsince79

I‘d say low to mid 70s when it’s hot in the summer. A buddy has a 4x4 similar setup and tent reading is around 85 right now. I don’t think he has much control over the heat with just the fan so assuming I’ll run into the same issues. Humidity would probably be ok during the super cold stretches during winter, below zero temps but it depends too much on the weather and is pretty drastic in fluctuations.
Sounds like keeping it warm in the winter will be more of a problem than mid 70s in the summer.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Sounds like keeping it warm in the winter will be more of a problem than mid 70s in the summer.
Basement doesnt get below 60 at the coldest. I figure if the tent is running 10-15 warmer with lights...night cycle during the day that’d be right about where I want for the cool times right? 70-75ish for a general idea?

growsince79

growsince79

Basement doesnt get below 60 at the coldest. I figure if the tent is running 10-15 warmer with lights...night cycle during the day that’d be right about where I want for the cool times right? 70-75ish for a general idea?
No reason the tent should be 10-15 higher. 5f at the most with good exhaust. My HPS might raise it 10f.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
It's got cooler here, and I've taken my output that I normally have hanging up near the widow outlet, I've just looped it back into the bottom of the tent last night, cause it's been getting colder. I've got a 6 inch outlet, made from flex tubing, and direct the air where it's needed. Regulating the circulation loop.

The real factor here IMO is not only regulating heat/humidity, but also volume. You need to keep that turnover, and overall volume maximized, regardless if it's reintroduced, or simply ejected, or anywhere in between. (I use crossflow for regulating that part) Air flow is big, and having a nice vortex going on in there is really beneficial IMO.

Dothraki

Dothraki

No reason the tent should be 10-15 higher. 5f at the most with good exhaust. My HPS might raise it 10f.
Oh ok...I was thinking the temp difference would be about 10-15 higher. Mostly based on someone elses similar setup...although it’s a 4x4 with only a 4” exhaust. So if that’s the case, maybe a heater would be needed. There is a heat vent right behind the tent that I closed off and sealed. But it’s about an inch away from the tent so maybe a bad idea.

It's got cooler here, and I've taken my output that I normally have hanging up near the widow outlet, I've just looped it back into the bottom of the tent last night, cause it's been getting colder. I've got a 6 inch outlet, made from flex tubing, and direct the air where it's needed. Regulating the circulation loop.

The real factor here IMO is not only regulating heat/humidity, but also volume. You need to keep that turnover, and overall volume maximized, regardless if it's reintroduced, or simply ejected, or anywhere in between. (I use crossflow for regulating that part) Air flow is big, and having a nice vortex going on in there is really beneficial IMO.
ok so just make sure the air keeps moving...and I assume not fluctuate in temp too much or let humidity rise too far during certain stages. Now if I throw a 8’ hose the same diameter of my exhaust, would I need to calculate to find ideal negative pressure? Or is it better to have equalized pressure in the tent.

Edit: forget the last question...I guess equalized would me no air moving.

S

SpaceCowboy72

I’m in your neighborhood and have a 3x3 in a basement. I run an ac infinity 6” exhaust fan with a carbon filter and vent it outside.
I have never needed an AC unit for my setup but heat is definitely a problem for me at lights off in the fall, winter and early spring. I need to run an oil filled radiator inside the tent.
It definitely is a challenge in a basement with the constant shifts in environment.
I am currently looking at a mini split for the whole basement to put this issue to rest. Initial price is high but the cost of running the electric radiators and dehumidifiers in the basement is also very high in the long run and running a passive system much easier.
Just my thoughts ✌🏻

Top Bottom