Vermiculite and perlite? Which do you use?

• Thread starter ImpulsiveGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
The stores I went to only had vermiculite so I grabbed some without doing much research. I transplanted my girlfriends two autoflowers into a organic living soil and instead of mixing in perlite I did the verm. I’m now reading up on it after the fact and wanna cut the rest of my unused soil with perlite before transplanting my next photo run. Do you guys use a mixture or verm and perlite for your soilless mixes? I figure I would buy some more soil and cut it all together with perlite and then use that. Pic is of my girlfriends first auto grow for the heck of it…
Vermiculite and perlite which do you use

Anthem

Anthem

Simple Google search .
It occurs naturally in the ore.

I have no idea why you would post this in several threads but there you go. In terms of health concerns form asbestos there is friable and none friable. Even if it was in Vermiculite it would be considered none friable. In regards to health the most damaging is friable. Friable is what causes issues, because it is loose and can be easily inhaled.

Anthem

Anthem

Ok so it has SD information for inhalation protection. But where does it say anything about containing Asbestos?
Just for your information most countries band the use of Asbestos in all materials in the early 1970's.
But please show me where it shows it contains asbestos, because the SD information has no health risks also.

o0mogar0o

o0mogar0o

I just dont trust it .
We stocked this last week and everyday since I've had breathing issues.
I've had 3 family members die of small cell carcinoma in their lungs from working with asbestos.
I thought it was work a mention.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I just dont trust it .
I've had 3 family members die of small cell carcinoma in their lungs from working with asbestos.
It was 1 source many years ago and 1 brand that was contaminated... IT DOES NOT contain asbestos.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Verm is good it's a source of silica provides some aeration and increase the water holding capacity a bit and by that I mean it absorbs water a little better than perlite. So a little more even soil moisture but doesn't reduce the water table as much as perlite.

Both are good options imo.

Anthem

Anthem

I just dont trust it .
While I totally understand your concerns but it is not really cool to come on a board and start talking about stuff you have no idea about. If you take that information for the inhalation protection and look it up, it will tell you what to wear to prevent your breathing issues when stocking the stuff in the future.
Asbestos is not good, it is naturally occurring and was used widely in building materials in the US up until the early 1970s. Large corporations knew something was up with it as far back as like the 1920's or 1930s from what I have read in the past. It was used for fireproof theatre curtains back then and the workers that were building the curtains were dying off and from what I read many years ago they just kind of phased out using it but it kind of seems fishy. It was in floor tiles for years, the original 12" x 12" VCT (vinyl composite tile) was actually 9" x 9" before and the name was VAT (vinyl asbestos tile) Again this is not the most damaging of products because the asbestos was lock in place in the tile. The most damaging from what I understand is like say packed on insulation what was widely used in ship building and even construction.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Thanx for the reply guys I think I may experiment cutting my soil with some perlite and verm for the next photo run.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Thanks omogar. You raised a serious topic and it was dealt with just like it’s supposed to be on this site. Until today my ignorant ass had never heard of Libby Montana! Good chance it was the source of the asbestos that got your relatives. While the good old uncle Sam was busy trying to eradicate weed, they were allowing the corporate bunch up there to ship this stuff all over the world. Knowing for God damn well that it was going to kill people! 80% of the worlds supply at one time. And it’s going to keep on killing for the for seeable future! Anytime somebody tears down an old house in a foreign country with lax regulations it will be released into the air.And as usual it sounds like the suits walk away Scott free! And it sounds like the state of Montana still holds to its position that it wasn’t its responsibility to post any warnings about it! OK. Off my soapbox and get back to fucking up a dope Grow. But stories like this are the one thing that can really piss me off to the bone! And they continue to be far too common!

Top Bottom