As Designed Very slow when clicking on thumbnails

• Thread starter UNITEDGROOVES
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
hey OutWest; Did ya see my airlayer photos i just posted?
The thumbs will load fast. :)

Yes, and I commented on it. If there was green with envy emoticon, I'd use it. But the happy green guy will have to do instead. Great work, Ken. :D

outwest

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Designer perspective: Good design doesn't need a how to or instructions. It just works.

Programmer perspective: I don't give a fuck about good design, it works for me. Leave me alone. rm -rf *.*

This video makes me laugh so fucking hard... windowlickers

Yeah I hear you, but meant that with safari on ipad the page keeps wanting to scroll back up if you try to just read while the photos load, so for those threads with tons of 8mp nug shots, I'd rather just skip it and maybe look on bigger screen later.
Better off on a computer with a hd monitor, design is not suited to all devices.
I could have sworn that the old format, and perhaps the new one, was supposed to automagically resize pix for people. I resize them myself, that way I have it already on my HD resized (and resampled). I always make the largest side 1200pixels.

Anyway, I am now viewing on Ubuntu... what is it, 12.1? I can't remember right now but it's completely different from the Ubuntu of old, and I've been working in the Fedora environment for over a year now. The point is that I'm not having issues with Firefox on Ubuntu, and I also view the site from my ASUS Eee Pad and I don't usually have issues with picture size or being forced to scroll side-to-side.

That is not as concerning as being redirected away from a thread for me. I like to have things open up in a new tab or window so I don't lose my place.
I don't have any issues with firefox and ubuntu 12 after updating. There were a bunch of firefox updates right after 12 was released. Maybe check you got all the updates?

If the photos are larger than your screen resolution you will get a horizontal scroll bar that is why you get it. The large photos are best viewed on a big HD monitor. 1980 pixels wide vs 1200 would be ideal for people with hd monitors.

In addition to the mouse wheel, can use the left right arrows on the keyboard to go through the thumbnails.

smokie

smokie

Thumbails are very slow and i click on only 1 pic and it makes me wait until they are all ready to be viewed even if i only want to see 1 of the pics waste of bandwidth IMO, i just assumed something was still unfinished and they were working on it.

smokie

smokie

Lol :rolleyes:
All good I do like the new site and many little things that have been improved not trash talkin at all.

PS i have 30mbps connection and i7 processor with 16 gb ram so im in good shape there.
But I am in Wa west coast not sure if that has anything to do with it.
I can wait it just seems slow, the thumbnails vs full screen (full screen is not slow) pics for some reason, avg ping to the server is 180ms so i think that may have a lil bit to do with it, distance issue.
But like someone said before if it is keeping us secure I can deal with it.

It was just mainly a FYI:)

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

LOL at Barbie's janky arm.:D

I like putting he whole photo up. But I use thumb nails when I don't wan't to slow down the whole page. (especially when its someone elses thread)
That way, folks can pick the photos they want to load.

I dunno...do others prefer tumbnails or the whole photo?

Me personally I prefer Full Image photos. Here's one (1) reason why: Lets say I have a serious of photos to upload and along with those photos there is also a storyline that goes along with it. So I upload photo [A] and write my description/comment/storyline immediately and directly beneath it, this same process is repeated until I am through with my super-rad-well thought out post with pictures attached. If I were to upload my photos as thumbnails the storyline would lack in structure and creativity, being how the reader would need to view the photos away from the write up.

Also, I have never had a problem with a "slow down" when viewing threads with Full Image photos. "I" started a thread in the Smokers Lounge https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/lets-see-your-pets-super-thread.46792/ and most if not all photos uploaded there have been Full Image pictures, my viewing pleasure has been amazing without a single glitch in the matrix whatsoever! Let it be known, please and thank you, when and if ever any one post on any of my threads (that includes you Mr. CaregiverKen;)) upload all your photos with Full View...but I wont take it personally or be mad atcha if you don't either :)!

Bless up...Sol

P.s lol at carny

Might as well test the waters here...how does this photo I just uploaded affect your viewing pleasure? Has it slowed things down? Has anything at all changed? Is my photo the correct size for your screen? Would you prefer to read this text than click a thumbnail to view said photo elsewhere than come back to this text?

P20120219 104125

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thanks Sol :)

I hear ya. and I agree. Size adjusted full size photos from now on.

..how does this photo I just uploaded affect your viewing pleasure? Has it slowed things down? Has anything at all changed? Is my photo the correct size for your screen? Would you prefer to read this text than click a thumbnail to view said photo elsewhere than come back to this text?
View attachment 213737

That Photo Affected my viewing pleasure quite nicely. It's beautiful :) Thanks.
That is a perfect size photo to share. Didn't slow the page down at all.
No I dont like thumbnails very much

sometimes..when there are 10 or 20 large photos on a page it can slow down for me...but Im in the hills.

Let's add another..:)

Frogonduty

That photo is 700x525 pixels..what ever that means...lol
I recently got a massive Monitor and love it!

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

Thanks Sol :)

I hear ya. and I agree. Size adjusted full size photos from now on.

That Photo Affected my viewing pleasure quite nicely. It's beautiful :) Thanks.
That is a perfect size photo to share. Didn't slow the page down at all.
No I dont like thumbnails very much

sometimes..when there are 10 or 20 large photos on a page it can slow down for me...but Im in the hills.

Let's add another..:)

View attachment 213745

That photo is 700x525 pixels..what ever that means...lol
I recently got a massive Monitor and love it!

Frogin Love that picture breduh! Looks perfect!
No slow down here or hiccups whatsoever!

And thanks for the compliments on the photo...taken on a family outing in the Borrego Desert! Found a half white tailed deer hind on that trek, more than likely from a Mountain Lion!

Blessings...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I am *so* diggin' this Ubuntu environment. Everything is SCREAMING fast, just screaming. I admit, we have a hell of a fat pipeline to the outside world, but the performance is so far above Fedora it's not even funny. Some adjustments to figuring out where things are and how to do and find what I need to do and find (for example, took me a minute to figure out how to open up a terminal window, how to get my quick-launchers, that kind of stuff), but all in all it's taken me less than an hour after install, total, to get my machine customized to my preferences and best ease of use. AND, I didn't know this particular computer could work so fast, especially booting up.

Great post, leadsled, thanks, I agree with your sentiments as well. It's interesting because I thought I'd have a hard time learning to use a Tablet. I found it to be incredibly intuitive, and it brought me back to my imaginings as a child after watching Space Odyssey. The only thing it's lacking is a good office application that I can rely on as well as I can, say, Open Office (currently using the native LibreOffice, it talks to EVERYONE and I fucking LOVE IT!). Oh, and the free printing app I tried looks like a Telex, that took me back, too.

T

TECK

Can you let us know if the recent server maintenance improved the speed of loading thumbnails?
The improvements will be really evident if you use the latest version of Chrome (19.0.1084.46).

Kahn Seanery

Kahn Seanery

Unfortunately , my computers a bit prehistoric...
They dont make em like this anymore...

I to have had a problem uploading big images ... and ive read the how to .. watched the vid...
What can i say the computers crap...
Despite my sincerist efforts .. i have not been able to work it out...

I could just be mental...

Top Bottom