Very tiny white bugs eating roots

• Thread starter bdank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bdank

bdank

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post regarding plant sickness :(. I have been a farmer for a lil while now and have run into my fair share of predators. Ive had aphids, mites, thrips, you name it, in many different medias.

Currently i have discovered an insect that is eating my roots and causing deficiencies and clawing. Its very sad bc i foresee an entire room take down as the damage is heavy.

Im running recirc drip feed in 5 gals. RW in hydroton in net baskets.
Environment is optimal as far as temp humidity light. PLants are 2 months in veg

I have not seen any fliers of this bug. What i have seen is extremely tiny bug that i can only tell is alive by seeing its antennae move under a microscope. It is slow and is found on the RW rocks and roots. My roots have turned brown from death. I have found what looks like mold or some white webbing in the hydroton and roots. There are no other bugs other than these white small ones.

So far i have used mallet about a week ago (drench and feed for 3 days), ive done azamax, pyrethrum dunks, Used lots of H2O2, Sm-90, hygrozyme for flushing (not at same time). Used Bayer tree and shrub yesterday as a drench and soak for 12 hrs. I know im using systemics and this might take a few days or what not but i still see a lot of life from these bugs.

At this point im experimenting on what kills this bug. I am up for anything as i am not going to finish this crop out. I believe the bug to be some kind of root aphid but im not sure bc of its size and color. I also researched and saw that it might look like a root meallybug. Its not jumping or moving quickly by any means. Its very slow in fact which is why i didnt know i had a bug, couldnt tell the white specs were alive.

Ty in advance

Very tiny white bugs eating roots
bdank

bdank

ty for your quick response... Just looked it up and what you referred to is I think a beneficial mite? It also didn't appear to be white in the pics I saw.

My plants new shoots are greatly stunted and curled. Leaves are shooting three fingers, plant is obviously stessed. I think these bugs are devouring my roots.

Natural

Natural

Could be mealy bugs from your description..in which case Triazicide.

Mealybug
vaporedout

vaporedout

pics of plants and roots and even grow area would help.

C

cctt

Close-ups would help, if you can take them. I'm reminded of an issue I had a bit back - here's my post with pictures. Unfortunately I wasn't able to solve it with pesticides and ended up trashing the plants and starting over.

bdank

bdank

Im almost positive we have the same pest CCTT. I tried to get a shot of these guys but even at 30x its a struggle to see them they look like white dots. I studied them pretty hard and from what i can tell they have 8 legs but its really hard to tell. They are like what you see in your picture, transparent. I will see if i can get a microscope so we can identify. Im really worried, nothing i have thrown at them has done anything.

So if they are a soil mite what would you guys recommend? Im leaning towards this direction because of what looks like webbing in some spots on the roots and the 8 legs. After racking my brain i realized that in past grows ive had these guys and didnt know it. I was always chasing phantom def or trying to correct what i thought was overwatering.

If you guys want to see what my bugs look like up close go to CCTTs' link. I will try to get better pics soon.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/are-these-root-aphids.52787/page-2

C

cctt

If they're the same, I found triazicide immersion to be the most effective - though they still came back!
I wish I'd tried some abamectin just to see if it had any effect. I still do not know if they were some form of mite, some form of aphid, or something else entirely.
I definitely recommend the microscope to be sure they're the same. If you can't clearly see you could be making some bad assumptions moving forward.

bdank

bdank

Got the 100x and they do have 8 legs and no appendage from their rear. Ill see if I can get the cam to take the pic with scope...

I can get abamectin but Idk if it works as drench

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

3 high concentration doses of azamax should do the trick for those little fuckers; but it seems they are on the outside of ur net pots so goodluck

organicozarks

organicozarks

Azamax is over priced.

Bubble up 1 cup of neem cake in a 5 gallon bucket for 48 hours, and apply 3 times 4 days apart. It will kill everything in the root zone that you don't want. Cheaper, and stronger than azamax, and the like.

bdank

bdank

Aphids don't have 8 legs from my understanding... I think we are comin to the conclusion it might be a broad mite?

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

In the vid it looks like a Hypoaspis miles aka(predator mite).. Do a search on here theres a sticky on a thread that may have more info for u..

It's a beneficial mite, that once there's no food source the population tends to die..

Broad mites are very small.. U would need a good scope to look at them.. Plus u would notice the effects of broad mites on your foliage.. These guys are no joke, can kill a plant in not time..

bdank

bdank

Ive looked at it before and haven't completely ruled it out. My plants look really poor is why i feel they are responsible but it could be something else i guess. no flyers or any other bug to see. These bugs im looking at are found in root zone and on top of rock wool. they don't seem to penetrate the rockwool at all.

Anyone know how i would be able to tell the difference?

oh and these guys are really small need a scope to see them, to the naked eye they look like a spec of white that is all

J

Jdizzzel

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post regarding plant sickness :(. I have been a farmer for a lil while now and have run into my fair share of predators. Ive had aphids, mites, thrips, you name it, in many different medias.

Currently i have discovered an insect that is eating my roots and causing deficiencies and clawing. Its very sad bc i foresee an entire room take down as the damage is heavy.

Im running recirc drip feed in 5 gals. RW in hydroton in net baskets.
Environment is optimal as far as temp humidity light. PLants are 2 months in veg

I have not seen any fliers of this bug. What i have seen is extremely tiny bug that i can only tell is alive by seeing its antennae move under a microscope. It is slow and is found on the RW rocks and roots. My roots have turned brown from death. I have found what looks like mold or some white webbing in the hydroton and roots. There are no other bugs other than these white small ones.

So far i have used mallet about a week ago (drench and feed for 3 days), ive done azamax, pyrethrum dunks, Used lots of H2O2, Sm-90, hygrozyme for flushing (not at same time). Used Bayer tree and shrub yesterday as a drench and soak for 12 hrs. I know im using systemics and this might take a few days or what not but i still see a lot of life from these bugs.

At this point im experimenting on what kills this bug. I am up for anything as i am not going to finish this crop out. I believe the bug to be some kind of root aphid but im not sure bc of its size and color. I also researched and saw that it might look like a root meallybug. Its not jumping or moving quickly by any means. Its very slow in fact which is why i didnt know i had a bug, couldnt tell the white specs were alive.

Ty in advance
I have tiny white bugs too I got a close up picture

Top Bottom