Veteran noob, I’m my own worst enemy, lol.

• Thread starter Amatfumusviriditas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

Greetings everyone, guess this is a bit of a late introduction and a request for assistance.
I’ve been growing (struggling to) off and on since 2013, with marginal but improving results, still far from what I hope for. In my early 50’s now, growing was always an unfulfilled burning desire, and even with disappointing results, I don’t feel like I’m really living unless I’m growing. I have knowledge without (successful) experience and tend to overthink things but have gradually simplified or standardized things as my familiarity increases. I have no hands on/in person mentor for guidance so dialing things in has been brutal as I’m not sure what is holding me back. Encouraged by my last cycle, I paused for the summer (west coast, triple digit temps) to remodel and invest in some new equipment, which leads me where I am now- really struggling and not sure which direction to proceed to remedy things.
I’ve been growing in soil, usually happy frog with added perlite and a little ewc. I’ve been using jacks plus a few extras, multiple runs. Currently my temps and humidity are more dialed in than ever. I’ve been monitoring vpd, mainly as a data point. Was using hlg led (320xl) but upgraded to hlg 350R. Using photone app and cheap lux meter to “calculate “ PPFD/DLI etc.
in the past I’ve always had to go by feel, but due to previous lack of success I have increased hard data as a means to learn.
Mixed genetics, 3x HSO 707 headband, 3x HSO trainwreck (fems in storage I needed to use) and 3x Texas butter F2 reg (3 of 6 made it, source freebies from brisco’s bargain beans)
The problem
So, I’m about 20 days from breaking soil, and seeing interveinal chlorosis, especially the TB. Temps range 74-84, humidity 55-68, leaf temps 74-81. (Approximate range)
PPFD around 200, light about 60% power, but I did push it to 300 which I suspect is responsible.
I also recently gave first feeding of jacks (321 program) in case it was mag deficiency which from searches is another suspect? pH in and out close (6.3 in, 6.5 out). Ppm out off the chart but nothing has really gone in yet?? Planning to run pH’d nutrient sol’n through until ‘stable’.
I’ve never really struggled like this early on and am at a loss, I do realize however that the ganja gods are teaching me humility as my previous enthusiasm led to overconfidence,haha. I also had horrible seedling stretch, hence the addition of ‘collars’.
Let the trolling begin, lol. First pic is 9/19, second is9/21 rest are today. I appreciate everybody’s time and offer my thanks in advance, as well as apologies if I messed this up.
Veteran noob im my own worst enemy lol
Veteran noob im my own worst enemy lol 2
Veteran noob im my own worst enemy lol 3

Ponky

Ponky

Soil can be top dressed with worm castings. Fed microbial teas. Stuff like that.

growsince79

growsince79

How big are the containers? How often and how much water?

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

I usually start in solo cups to 1 gallon plastic to 3 gal fabric for flower. I’m pretty comfortable with water routine, last couple runs were essentially problem free, end product lacking mainly in aesthetics, effect were satisfactory but with room for improvement. I’m really having a setback here, new light is only significant change, may have just light stressed them out.
This run I had plans to do things a little different and started in one gallon, these problems have been cause to re-evaluate.
Here is a pic of last run, approx 350g from hlg 320xl
7C6F6C1F A6D0 458F A84E 4C6504FE706F

Ponky

Ponky

If it's a 4x4 and your light draws around 300 watts from the wall your yield is fine. Could be a bit better sure. Probably get more weight if you went DWC. But you did more than 1 gram per watt. Thats good. Sure it could be more. But nothing to sneeze at.

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

If it's a 4x4 and your light draws around 300 watts from the wall your yield is fine. Could be a bit better sure. Probably get more weight if you went DWC. But you did more than 1 gram per watt. Thats good. Sure it could be more. But nothing to sneeze at.
Yeah, not concerned with past yield.
Until this run, I have only been improving, ie less s/s of issues, increasing yield each run, etc.
Pic above is about 2 1/2 x 4.
Another post re: chlorosis, with similar images, a staff member(aquaman) indicated probably light stress, which makes sense in my circumstances too. Planning on following his advice unless more specific confirmation comes along.
I’ve dropped the light intensity and plan on give a little supplemental feed if not foliar.
Feedback welcome.

Amatfumusviriditas

Amatfumusviriditas

Just in case someone can benefit from my mistakes, the problem above was caused (99% sure) by the addition of azomite. Resources have indicated it does not affect pH but I was experiencing a major buffering effect with feedings. Per soil probe, pH around 6.5, solution in pH stable but run off pH would shoot up to around 8. I ruled out factory contamination of soil by running same sol’n through base soil with no effect, only the mix with added azomite seem affected this way. Hope this info saves someone the time I’ve lost. I’m starting over, attempting to take cuttings but dropped more beans just in case.

Top Bottom