Virgin grower with lighting questions

• Thread starter SwoleGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Greetings from the South. Im in the process of completing my rdwc in a 4x4 Gorilla that will have 3 5gal plant sites inside and I know for sure I’ll be running one Phillips master 31k bulb. My question is this, I have two 250w mh’s from my reef tank I’m no longer using. Would those 250’s be of any use for light coverage where the 315 starts to fade?
Also, I’d appreciate some ideas on hood/ballast (separate or combination). Thanks

itsjasonovak

itsjasonovak

For the canopy you're describing I think just the 315W would be plenty...more light is not always better, I'd be fearful of adding in an additional 500 watts of light/heat in your tent. If anything, grab some bar lights for supplemental lighting on the sides - low heat, added spectrum!

As far as the hood/ballast, i would definitely go with a combo - less equipment = better.

az2000

az2000

I use CMH and like it. You're right that you'll need to fill in the edges in a 4x4 tent (315w CMH is for a 3x3 tent at 35w/sq ft, not counting the ballast). I don't think you're 200w MH will have a good footprint for this.

If you think of it in w/sq ft, you have an additional 7 sq ft to provide for. I.e., if the CMH were sized for a 4x4 tent it would be a 560w). So, you need 245w additional.

How much can you spend on supplementing that additional 7sq ft? How much sweat equity do you want to put into it?

You could use five 4-foot (54w) T5HO flourescent tubes which would give you 270w. Those fit nicely between the tent legs as downward sidelighting (when the plants grow into that space. Otherwise, leave them turned off. You could do Agroflex two-tube fixtures. Or, SunSystems has a "premium" 1-tube with decent reflector. Those would be relatively easy to hang and manage.

If your on a budget, you can use ordinary household LED lightbulbs. Attach them to the tent legs. (You can make a "tent leg" between the 4' tent legs using PVC pipe, and mount lightbulbs from that for better coverage.). Before you think that's hokey, I've grown a plant through flower (<<link) and it turned out pretty well at just 18-22w/sq ft. I really like the lightbulbs. I think they're underutilized by growers. But, they can take some work getting setup, an managing them in a larger space.

As an example, you can mount these $3 PAR38 floodlamp holders in a 1x4 board:

Floodlight socket

Use some 19w 40-degree floodlights. You need about 30w/sq ft of this kind of lighting. That would be 12 bulbs. (Three for each side of the tent.).

There's quite a few ways to do this. I would use the floodlights that you can cut the front lens off, and have the surface-mounted LEDs facing the plants (directional) without being concentrated into a 40-degree beam. Less absorption loss. (You can do the same thing with 8.5w 60w-equiv "lightbulbs", but you'll have to mount 6-7 to each 1x4 board. Those bulbs only cost $1.25 each. More coverage having the watts spread out more.).

If you're interested in this, it's not hard to do. It's just DIY stuff. All you need is at the hardware store. The mounting part can be an initial investment of sweat equity. But, after that it's relatively cheap to replace bulbs (lumen deprecation, every 2-3 grows). There's a number of ways to do this. You can mount them to the tent legs. Adjustable up/down.

az2000

az2000

As far as the hood/ballast, i would definitely go with a combo - less equipment = better.

Being in the south (warm climate), the OP might appreciate a remote ballast. I'm in the desert, and it makes a difference for me. I didn't get into CMH until remote ballasts became available. (There's also air-cooled hoods. I haven't gone that far yet. I feel like the amount of heat the CMH bulb produces doesn't warrant the loss of the glass enclosure required for extracting through the hood. However, I've thought about using one of those air-cooled hoods without the glass, just as the point of extraction. Put the carbon filter outside the tent, push air through through the filter at the end of the exhaust. I think that could make an improvement just by exhausting air from the hood. Not necessarily closed with glass.).

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

You could fill in the sides with some quantum boards..... a couple 132s on either side would keep the heat down and add some nice lumens to the picture

itsjasonovak

itsjasonovak

Being in the south (warm climate), the OP might appreciate a remote ballast. I'm in the desert, and it makes a difference for me. I didn't get into CMH until remote ballasts became available. (There's also air-cooled hoods. I haven't gone that far yet. I feel like the amount of heat the CMH bulb produces doesn't warrant the loss of the glass enclosure required for extracting through the hood. However, I've thought about using one of those air-cooled hoods without the glass, just as the point of extraction. Put the carbon filter outside the tent, push air through through the filter at the end of the exhaust. I think that could make an improvement just by exhausting air from the hood. Not necessarily closed with glass.).
Really good point on the climate - hadn't thought about that.

Top Bottom