Virus'

• Thread starter saxon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

saxon

A virus has got into my last 12 crops somehow, seems to be reinfecting despite total replacement of all equipment and scrupulous hygiene. I suspect it is in the fabric of the house and being dragged in by the extractor.

any suggestions?

B

Buddy Flowers

are your plants turning yellow then slowly dying?

S

saxon

Yeah, two weeks into flowering, usually leaves 1 of 12 alone. But trying new seeds that are supposed to be virus resistant plus drawing air from outside.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

its your tent. some tents have pvc in the reflective material, i believe. look up "off gassing"

U

utokin2

Hi Saxon we spoke about this as we reckon its virul like the tobacco mosiac I posted if they cannot help you on this site I will be suprised take care mate catch you soon

S

saxon

set-up

Explain your set-up!

2x 600 watts
Good intake and outtake
Lined with white-out 9 ft long - 6 ft wide - 9ft in height
Picked up the problem with Bio, tried NFT, Bubblers, Coco, numerous additives have been recommended and one plant always seems to be OK.

But basically 12 or so crops over 18 months have been binned about 2 weeks into flowering.

It's got to be a virus that is somehow surviving massive cleaning and changing of equipment.

Cheers guys.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I wouldn't be surprised if the virus is being vectored by insects. Kill the bugs, and you may stop the virus from spreading. It might also be helpful to take a look at the gardens and landscaping, plants that are nearby, see if any of those plants look off.

S

saxon

I wouldn't be surprised if the virus is being vectored by insects. Kill the bugs, and you may stop the virus from spreading. It might also be helpful to take a look at the gardens and landscaping, plants that are nearby, see if any of those plants look off.

The air is drawn in through a filter, haven't had mites for 15 years or so. I chucked the used soil mix outside and it infected the evening primrose plants. There are articles in weed magazines here; it's starting to put a lot of people out of the game. Although apparently only small grow rooms are affected by this problem.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I wouldn't be so specific as to say mites, any bugs that pierce the plants are suspect. My world is colored by root aphids, which happen to vector diseases and make them terribly difficult to eradicate (both the root aphids and secondary infections). Two crops lost so far, currently taking stock and reassessing my own situation. I have problems with filtration, keeping bugs out of my growing areas, would require a lot of costly upgrading and construction.

Wow... infected the previously healthy plants..?? How closely related to cannabis are evening primrose?

Have you looked at anything like agricultural extension or university sites for information?

S

saxon

News report here of tobacco white fly with over 100 different viruses on poinsettias plants, so yes- any bug, any virus, same result. Somehow reinfects despite Particle or Carbon Filter on intake, plus Dusk Suits, Gloves, Bake Soil, Steam Clean Rockwool, Sulfur Bombs, Gnat-Off (might help your root bugs) and Neemoil Spray.

Have done loads of research, none of it seems to help. I've had a couple of viruses years ago, but nothing like this.

Thanks a lot.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
what are you running soil? and u say each tiem its one plant not affected? do u have 1 mom u are taking cuts from? are u using tap water?

S

saxon

what are you running soil? and u say each tiem its one plant not affected? do u have 1 mom u are taking cuts from? are u using tap water?

what are you running soil?

Bio for years and years. Got virus, then tried coco drippers, bubblers and NFT.

and u say each tiem its one plant not affected?

Viruses tend to leave one plant unaffected. Or if you grew one plant, one branch would be unaffected.

do u have 1 mom u are taking cuts from?

Mixture of seeds, cuttings and mother plants.

are u using tap water?

Yeah, using tap water, stood for a week, minimum nitric acid on the grow cycle. I boil and filter the water for the seedlings. Have tried rain water and pond water.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Did you know that if your tap water has what is called "temporary hardness" it can be reduced by close to half by boiling? I only learned this a couple of years ago, after all the years I've spent with water.

I have seen slight signs of virus on cuttings taken from a known seed-start mother that never demonstrated the virus. I have not seen virus that I've Dx'd as such wipe out crop, for me it's root aphids and the powdery mildew that's proven so difficult to be rid of. But I know you're right about there being few/no virus treatments, though I do seem to recall lil miss lone talking about... what was it? Barley blight or something like that? I can't remember, but it was vectored by root aphids and took her and her husband quite a while to Dx and I *think* she said that it was treatable, though I can't recall if they decided to try or not.

The only way I can think of to be completely free of bugs is to go "clean room," and frankly, the prospect of that would be unfathomable to me, quite a lot of trouble. But, if it's what must be done, then you might want to approach it the way zoos and aquariums do when they have to control diseases in captive populations.

S

saxon

for anything on the roots i'd try Gnatoff which has 'Bacillus Thuringiensis subspecies Israeliensis' in it; or so the bottle says. There's a nasty chemical called 'Ailette' if you're desperate for the mildew.

I've got a clinically clean room and it's still getting through and yes it just isnt the same having to work in a laboratory.

I am, though, taking all the plastic out just in case.

1st.artuning

Can we get some pictures of your room and the plants that are dieing???

Latest posts

Top Bottom