Warehouse Ventilation

• Thread starter naturalmedicine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

naturalmedicine

Hello everyone,

I have a small warehouse that I'm working with. I am about to have two holes cut in the roof for ventilation. My question is what kind of vents should I put on top of the roof. The guy doing the job suggested the whirly bird type vents that are circular and spin around based on air being pushed through them. Will these be the best option? Will they make noise if there are two 8" inline fans pushing air through them constantly. This is going to be an unsealed intake/exhaust type setup.

S

swayzie

whirley birds are your worst option. they completely restrict all air flow, and will be spinning at 200 mph all the time. your air movement will become backed up and major turbulence will be created. you will have to get a custom style chimney stack that wont let water in and wont restrict airflow what so ever.

i have a 16 inch exhaust chimney stack in my roof for this very purpose.

dont waste your time with whirley birds. you will have major issues. guarantee it.

D

dedust

whirley birds are your worst option. they completely restrict all air flow, and will be spinning at 200 mph all the time. your air movement will become backed up and major turbulence will be created. you will have to get a custom style chimney stack that wont let water in and wont restrict airflow what so ever.

dont waste your time with whirley birds. you will have major issues. guarantee it.

are chimney stacks do-able in a warehouse spot?

S

swayzie

are chimney stacks do-able in a warehouse spot?

its not an actual chimney stack but its very similar to one. industrial hvac companies sell them, or u can make one yourself fairly easily if u can weld. i just made mine because it was just easier, cheaper, and faster for me.

look on top of most warehouses, most have elaborate ductwork for venting. especially welding shops and such. you wouldnt be raising red flags with having proper ventilation.. but having simple whirley birds spinning their ass off 24/7 even with no wind outside is sure to set off a red flag because they are not intended to be used in that manner what so ever. not to mention whirley birds do not flow for shit.. i even tried to spread the fins on whirley birds to try and make them flow better and spin slower. didnt work.

D

dedust

its not an actual chimney stack but its very similar to one. industrial hvac companies sell them, or u can make one yourself fairly easily if u can weld. i just made mine because it was just easier, cheaper, and faster for me.

look on top of most warehouses, most have elaborate ductwork for venting. especially welding shops and such. you wouldnt be raising red flags with having proper ventilation.. but having simple whirley birds spinning their ass off 24/7 even with no wind outside is sure to set off a red flag because they are not intended to be used in that manner what so ever. not to mention whirley birds do not flow for shit.. i even tried to spread the fins on whirley birds to try and make them flow better and spin slower. didnt work.

thanks swayzie. so if i have a sealed room and only the lights being vented out, will i have smell issues?

D

dedust

IMVHO, you should be doing a sealed room and saving yourself this entire unnecessary expense, Exhausting a passive room to the outdoors isnt wise, Unless you have a scrub box or a inline I wouldnt even try. Installing any kinds of roof vents these days is pretty obvious, especially in Cali again Imo, Blowing the hot air from hoods in a sealed room outdoors is cool, But in a warehouse with a minisplit you an vent your lights into the warehouse. I never penetrate the building, unless its absolutely a must and then wego into full stealth mode.

Hey Garden!

I've seen your work and it's very impressive. Do you have templates for various size rooms, or is all your work custom?

I'd appreciate if I could pick your brain for a minute. More specifically, what/how would you set-up in a 12 x 12 space?

Thanks and Happy New Year everyone!

D

dedust

Thank you, As for templates no we dont each space is different in one way or another, But we are working on modular portable rooms as well as made to order trailers, Im gonna put the "P" in portable.

For a basic 12 x 12 set up this is how I would roll. Once your done you can run a UC, MPB, ENF, DTW, Any thing you want the facility is there, Climate is in Ck and its time to bust out the green thumb. :harvest:

I would put 4 1ks in there, on dimmables, Quantums to be exact. I would put a 18-24k btu Minisplit, I would install a De-humidifier and a 8 burner Co2 tank on propane. I would install a MAXFAN 8" Combo Scrubber, I would insulate the room and install 3 wall mount fans and a Co2 controller. I would air-cool the lights thru the hoods from out of the room to out of the room again with a MAXFAN 12", I would put this on a speedster "dimmer". Between this dimmer and the AC you got ALOT of Climate control. I would set the de-humidifier to run from lights out to lights on. I would use a condensate pump to get rid of the AC water and the Dehumidifier water. I would weather strip the door and spray foam-it to the ground.
I would do this in 2 days. Got Clones? lol!

Thanks for that Garden...

I'm still in the planning stages and am pretty spot on with everything you recommended except we were thinking of 6 1k's. Is that too much?

Also, for the lights, would you use the 12" fan in conjunction with a Y-duct? We were thinking two rows of 3k with an 8" maxfan on each end...

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

B

Bobby Smith

Thank you, As for templates no we dont each space is different in one way or another, But we are working on modular portable rooms as well as made to order trailers, Im gonna put the "P" in portable.

For a basic 12 x 12 set up this is how I would roll. Once your done you can run a UC, MPB, ENF, DTW, Any thing you want the facility is there, Climate is in Ck and its time to bust out the green thumb. :harvest:

I would put 4 1ks in there, on dimmables, Quantums to be exact. I would put a 18-24k btu Minisplit, I would install a De-humidifier and a 8 burner Co2 tank on propane. I would install a MAXFAN 8" Combo Scrubber, I would insulate the room and install 3 wall mount fans and a Co2 controller. I would air-cool the lights thru the hoods from out of the room to out of the room again with a MAXFAN 12", I would put this on a speedster "dimmer". Between this dimmer and the AC you got ALOT of Climate control. I would set the de-humidifier to run from lights out to lights on. I would use a condensate pump to get rid of the AC water and the Dehumidifier water. I would weather strip the door and spray foam-it to the ground.
I would do this in 2 days. Got Clones? lol!

Lol..........two days? Now you're making me feel bad........I'm working on five months for that (just about) exact size room.

Time to stop being so lazy and get back to work..........

N

naturalmedicine

Ok. I'm glad I checked with this community before I had the work done. I figured they would be spinning way too fast with the inline fans constantly blowing through them. So you're saying that hvac companies sell a different type of larger vent that I should go with. Does it need to be made to fit my application or is it something I can just purchase?

N

naturalmedicine

IMVHO, you should be doing a sealed room and saving yourself this entire unnecessary expense, Exhausting a passive room to the outdoors isnt wise, Unless you have a scrub box or a inline I wouldnt even try. Installing any kinds of roof vents these days is pretty obvious, especially in Cali again Imo, Blowing the hot air from hoods in a sealed room outdoors is cool, But in a warehouse with a minisplit you an vent your lights into the warehouse. I never penetrate the building, unless its absolutely a must and then wego into full stealth mode.

I've considered doing a sealed room, but from what i've read, it seems like I won't be able to afford it. So you're saying I can air cool the lights with air that originates in the warehouse and blow it back into the warehouse? The minisplit needs to have a part of it mounted outside, correct? I would like to run a sealed room, but not sure exactly how to pull it off.

D

dedust

I've considered doing a sealed room, but from what i've read, it seems like I won't be able to afford it. So you're saying I can air cool the lights with air that originates in the warehouse and blow it back into the warehouse? The minisplit needs to have a part of it mounted outside, correct? I would like to run a sealed room, but not sure exactly how to pull it off.

i'm in the same boat as you nm and i think the answers to your q's are yes and yes.

what are your concerns about running a sealed room?

N

naturalmedicine

i'm in the same boat as you nm and i think the answers to your q's are yes and yes.

what are your concerns about running a sealed room?

My concerns are making sure everything is sealed so nothing leaks out and keeping it cool. I am going to have to look into the minisplit units.

N

naturalmedicine

Yeah the mini split condenser sits in the warehouse as well, the wall unit of the mini split goes in the sealed room. The propane tank sits outside the room in the warehouse as well. Both the condenser and the propane tank can sit on the ceiling of the room if that works. Now you dont have anything leaving your space. No penetrations, The 3 main things Id concentrate on are Power, AC, Sealing a space. The rest is gravy.

I don't have enough money to construct a room inside the warehouse. The warehouse is about 600 sq ft and I was planning on running it as the room. There is a small 100 sq ft office attached to it. Can I put the propane tank in there or would the heat build up be too much since it is such a small space?

N

naturalmedicine

I was planning on using the office as my entry point. If I do what you are suggesting, how would I be able to enter. I think the roll up door locks/unlocks from the inside. This is my first warehouse, so I'm not exactly sure how everything works. Also, I would need someone to install the minisplit, correct?

N

naturalmedicine

Ok. I don't know anybody that does AC. Would I just have them come in and install the unit and then mount in myself in the tent? Where would I have them place the tank, inside the warehouse? Would'nt they ask why I would want it inside rather than outside? These may be dumb questions, but I'm trying to do this as low key as possible without raising any red flags. I really appreciate the knowledge that you are supplying me with.

N

naturalmedicine

I'm in Nor Cal. I do have an electrician. I don't have an a big budget, but I do want to do it right the first time. I don't want to deal with any nightmares. Would you perhaps know anyone out here?

N

naturalmedicine

So what would be a ballpark figure to setup the 10X10 tent with a 24k minisplit ac? The unit itself looks like it runs about 2K. How much would the labor be? I already have fans and filters. I have lights but they are older radiant hoods with no holes for cooling. Could I use these or would I have to get new ones that I could cool? I've seen people with sealed rooms that don't air cool. I would also need a dehumidifier, correct?

N

naturalmedicine

That's not that bad. Is there a certain AC unit you recomend for 6K watts? I've read that the Fujitsu 24CL Halcyon maybe the way to go. Is that overkill?

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
G.o.d seems to have you covered. i think if u are not gonna air cool and u are gonna be battling temps with only a 19-24k btu a/c in the summertime. it takes roughly 20 btus per sq footage just to cool a room that's not producing any heat itself. then you have to cool your ballast and your propane tank if you dont have a smaller room inside.like hes said do it right the 1st time and it will all be gravy from then on out. with all the competition out there you need your product to be the best it can or u will be begging people to take it for alot less money just to move it. is there a place u can start smaller while u build this place? maybe do 1 or 2 runs prior to this so u can build up soem money and experience and then build this place top notch?

J

januaryfirst

you tube a.c. installation.
I was able to buy the vacuum gauges, and vacuum pump rather cheap on kijiji and was able to figure out how to install the a.c. myself. They usually come with enough refrigerant in them to do a run of 10-15 feet, so if you do not have to have your condenser and cooling unit farther then that you should be pretty good. Set up two 24000 btu splits for two serperate rooms. Love you tube. You can either weld the copper if you have an acetylene torch or flare not fitting work. If you have runs longer then what the refrigerant can do that is in the a.c. definitely need an A.C. guy though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom